Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXV (Any Given Someday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bWo*

If GM Treliving called and offered Hudler, Colborne and Russel for Johansson, Laich, Bowey and a conditional 1st (making it to the SCF). Would you do it?

Caps could ice
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Oshie
Hudler-Backstrom-Williams
Chimera-Colborne-Wilson
Burakovsky-Latta-Beagle

Orpik-Carlson
Alzner-Niskanen
Orlov/Schmidt/Russel

Holtby
Grubauer

That trade favors the flames quite heavily

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Well... after all, we can place a bid for Hanzal and keep adding until they bite.

Backlund seems to be another solid candidate. As far as I understand Backlund isn't some core player for them. And their position right now is far from certain. They could bite for a good price too.

That's 2 we can agree on, right?

Backlund would be nice if we can make enough cap space for him after this season.

With Monahan / Bennett set as the top 2 centers I don't see how Backlund would be a "core" player either.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Gagner on waivers. Man, idk, Caps gave up some good picks at deadline last season for literally nothing. Maybe it would've worked out better if they claim pretty skillful guy for free and put Laich on waivers instead so the roster finally would not have any passengers?...

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Gagner on waivers. Man, idk, Caps gave up some good picks at deadline last season for literally nothing. Maybe it would've worked out better if they claim pretty skillful guy for free and put Laich on waivers instead so the roster finally would not have any passengers?...

And who is gonna take laich?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Gomez is more appealing than Gagner but neither are what they need.

The drumbeat to upgrade over Laich will only get louder as the deadline approaches. When it comes to the whole two year window it'll also be advantageous not to have his cap hit on the books next year. As for who will take him, well, they could retain some salary potentially. His cap hit is also $500k more than the actual salary so some cap floor teams will find that helpful. The Caps would need to make it worth their while but I think it's doable and not at too burdensome a cost depending on what all is coming back.

I don't expect them to add more than quality depth by the deadline so the total cost shouldn't be terrible (likely something comparable to last season's deadline prices but hopefully with greater impact).

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
Nobody of course. But i guess they could send him to Hershey ffs and save something like $2,5M under the cap this season by taking him off of the roster even before midway of the season. Am i right?

They would only save 950k by sending him to Hershey. The rest of his 4.5M would count against the cap.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Of course I'm never pleased to see our guys hurt, but we have been very lucky since early last year in that regard and it's useful to see what our depth really looks like. Better to know now and have time to address it than to realize in March that we're not deep enough.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
H/T RMNB:

@mayorNHL: Interesting tidbit... Hearing at least three NHL teams watching Mike Richards court situation closely - including #Oilers and #Caps

The Sharks are supposedly the other team and they may have the advantage since his junior coach is behind their bench. This backs up the thinking the Caps were interested in Stoll recently and are in the market for a vet 4C PKer type. Not much risk if it's for the minimum I guess.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
H/T RMNB:

@mayorNHL: Interesting tidbit... Hearing at least three NHL teams watching Mike Richards court situation closely - including #Oilers and #Caps

The Sharks are supposedly the other team and they may have the advantage since his junior coach is behind their bench. This backs up the thinking the Caps were interested in Stoll recently and are in the market for a vet 4C PKer type. Not much risk if it's for the minimum I guess.

Caps don't need anything right now including this POS...this would wreck team chemistry IMO.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
POS? what did he do, other than take drugs for his own benefit.

Hard partier in Philly, well-paid passenger for Kings 2nd Cup, multiple trips to rehab, and not very good at hockey any more. He may be a decent, kind human being ... but in hockey terms, and regarding his value to an NHL franchise right now, i'd agree with the POS characterization. I think it would be an awful, awful move.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Hard partier in Philly, well-paid passenger for Kings 2nd Cup, multiple trips to rehab, and not very good at hockey any more. He may be a decent, kind human being ... but in hockey terms, and regarding his value to an NHL franchise right now, i'd agree with the POS characterization. I think it would be an awful, awful move.

That's some nice revisionist history on him re: Lord Stanley #2. He was the 3rd or 4th highest scorer for the Kings during the regular season, and it was felt he was hurt for the playoffs.

Look. I'm not exactly sure what type of rabbit people think GMBM can pull out of his hat, unless Laich is traded. That's the only salary that can go out, and while I would like to see it happen, it wouldn't be cheap as I would imagine a prime asset would need to go out to even out the "cost to acquire" for whatever team took that contract.

So guys like Richards are exactly what the Caps will be looking at. He's a C, a vet, a proven playoff winner, and would probably be on a very short leash. Similar to Brian Bellows in 98. I'm all for it.

And to the poster that stated Richards would ruin team chemistry? Seriously? If the room is that fragile, that a former 2 time Cup winner (and teammate of Williams') being added for peanuts is going to somehow ruin a Trotz/Ovy/Holtby/Orpik/Williams led locker room, then this team is a house of cards after all.

I'm so tired of people bringing out the "but it will ruin team chemistry!!!!!" card with each possible trade or player acquisition, it's exhausting. Like any of us know the room.

Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->