Accountability and transparency of referrees

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Let me preface this thread by saying I absolutely despise the poor reffing excuse that routinely gets thrown around. They are human and we can't expect a 100% accuracy out of them every night. Your team will inevitably benefit or be hindered by it at some point, and I think it typically balances out over the long term.

That being said, I feel like the NHL got off very easy after the whole Tim Peel incident. Game management isn't something new and I don't think anyone was exactly surprised when Peel openly admitted to it. But for it to be acknowledged out loud, it should have sparked a need for the NHL to makes things more transparent and reestablish confidence in its referees for the sake of preserving the appearance of fairness and impartiality. Instead, to quench the significant pressure coming from the media and fans alike, Tim Peel was made the sacrificial lamb. Beyond that, business as usual.

After last night's game between Vegas and Montreal, I've been wondering if the NHL had any sort of quality control about its referees and if so, how they are evaluated and if corrective measures are ever, if at all, implemented.

If we agree on the idea that game management shouldn't be a thing and that the rulebook should simply be called as it is; it is only natural that penalty minutes would tend to be uneven between two teams on any given night. That's something most people would probably agree to in theory, but that would be an incredibly hard pill to swallow for most rabid fans when their team gets the short end of the stick. Similar to how the Apple music shuffle isn't completely random by design to make it feel more random to us, I think some form of game management is needed to make things appear more fair to the fans.

I think the bigger issue lies within the more obvious penalties that don't get called because it's in overtime, and the weaker, made-up calls that only serve the purpose of evening up the scale. These are the calls, or non-calls, that I think hurt the fans' trust in referees the most. These are the calls for which I feel the referees should be held accountable. To be fair, they probably already are. I'd expect the NHL to already have a system in place to evaluate the refs performance. But I think there has to be transparency in that regard to restore, to a certain degree, confidence in the league.

My suggestion is this: it would seem fairly simple to implement a review committee that would evaluate both the calls and non-calls made by refs and translate that into an accuracy% metric on a game-to-game basis. Over a large enough sample size, the fairer, better performing refs would naturally come out on top and these are the ones that should be favored for games played on the bigger stage, notably the playoffs. Implement a passing grade and those that fail to reach a certain accuracy % over a given sample size would simply have to be let go.

And make it public. Make it a stats page on NHL.com for everyone to see. Make individual game accuracy % ratings public as well. Give refs a game log with their stats just like players while you're at it.

Would that be a good or a bad thing? Is reffing even an issue that needs to be addressed in your mind or has it always been that way throughout all sports and we just have to deal with it?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There is no chance that the league makes its evaluations of its officials public. The officials have a union too. There is no way that any officials union in pro sports would allow that.

Next: Referees and Linesmen go over video after every period of hockey and after the game with the operations/official management staff with the league.

Next: Referees go into each game with a game plan prepared for them by the same league staff. When a game is called tight or its a let 'em play game that is a decision that is made by the league. Not the referees. When referees are calling one handed tap slashes on the hands as penalties they are doing that on league in struction.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The refs call the game that the NHL wants called, they aren't rogue agents. Tim Peel got off easy because it was his employer that directed him to make 'make-up' calls at his own discretion. If you want officiating reform, it begins with Colin Campbell.

Last edited:

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
There is no chance that the league makes its evaluations of its officials public. The officials have a union too. There is no way that any officials union in pro sports would allow that.

Next: Referees and Linesmen go over video after every period of hockey and after the game with the operations/official management staff with the league.

Next: Referees go into each game with a game plan prepared for them by the same league staff. When a game is called tight or its a let 'em play game that is a decision that is made by the league. Not the referees. When referees are calling one handed tap slashes on the hands as penalties they are doing that on league in struction.
So your saying the fix in in then and your fine with that?

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
No. The game is not enjoyable when referees are playing a role in dictating who wins based on their own feelings instead of calling penalties as they should be called.

What's the point of a rulebook if it won't be enforced. NHL is the only pro sports league that has its referees act in this manner.
Baseball is no different. Every single ump is known for having their own definition of the strike zone

Reactions: hoglund

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
First the nhl needs to install helmet cameras on the officials. Should be small enough now to put them into the logo spot on the helmet.

Once you do that you get to see the official’s view of the play.

when evaluating performance watch the play starting around 10 seconds before it occurs and watch it once at regular speed. That’s how you judge if the right call was made or not and understand why it was or wasn’t made.

everything is different based on the angle that you get.

Reactions: Alwalys

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Its the semi finals, it takes a f***in murder attempt to get a penalty at this point, this is how it is and always have been now quit crying Habs fans.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Baseball is no different. Every single ump is known for having their own definition of the strike zone

Baseball is as close to black and white officiating as you can get. Runner got there before the tag or he didnt. The ball hit the ground or it didnt. The ball was fair or foul. The strike zone is all there is that is judgement. Hockey is mostly about judgement and the degree to which something is done.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
No. The game is not enjoyable when referees are playing a role in dictating who wins based on their own feelings instead of calling penalties as they should be called.

What's the point of a rulebook if it won't be enforced. NHL is the only pro sports league that has its referees act in this manner.

Hockey is largely judgement calls. Do you want every potential foul called? They entire game would be penalties. Do you want to see a physical game with a little flow to it?

Reactions: Summer Rose

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Yes but at least they are consistent with the zone for the whole game. Pitchers are fine with that as long as they know where it is. Hockey is some bizaro world where a blatend hit from behind is fine, but a tap on the stick gets called. Its f***ing disgusting

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hockey is largely judgement calls. Do you want every potential foul called? They entire game would be penalties. Do you want to see a physical game with a little flow to it?
Yes, I want every single penalty called. You know why? Eventually players adjust.

Do you honestly think players don't know they can get away with whatever they want in the playoffs save for delay of game over the glass penalties? If you start calling everything, sure the game would slow down for a short period of time but eventually, players would realize they can't just hook/hold/slash/interfere at will or else they'll get called.

The NHL doesn't want that, though. They want to force offensive players to fight through clear infractions for god only knows what reason.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The NHL doesn't want that, though. They want to force offensive players to fight through clear infractions for god only knows what reason.

I can see you have built up an attitude about this. The NHL has been working on getting sticks off of puck carrier hands for 5 years now. They are making steady progress but its still a work in progress and it brings with guys tapping players with their sticks to no effect and getting critical penalties in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, they took all the interference out of the game and result was concussions. They let some of it back in for player safety.

Reactions: Summer Rose

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I can see you have built up an attitude about this. The NHL has been working on getting sticks off of puck carrier hands for 5 years now. They are making steady progress but its still a work in progress and it brings with guys tapping players with their sticks to no effect and getting critical penalties in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, they took all the interference out of the game and result was concussions. They let some of it back in for player safety.
B.S. There were still concussions during the DPE, they just weren't as commonly diagnosed as they are now. Interference does nothing to quell concussions from taking place. Interference doesn't stop players from head hunting.

The NHL is not making any progress at all. There's no reason defending teams should be able to do whatever they want to teams on the offensive just because they don't have the puck and "it's the playoffs."

Call the game by the rules, players will adjust, the hockey will be better. As simple as that.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And make it public. Make it a stats page on NHL.com for everyone to see. Make individual game accuracy % ratings public as well. Give refs a game log with their stats just like players while you're at it.

This is where I jump off board. I don't think about the refs much, and I don't like to think about them. The last thing I want to see each game is stats presented to me on how fair each ref is. I understand that some are better than others but the game is simply more enjoyable to watch the less I think about them. The NHL has all the data you're talking about, and I'd rather they didn't give it to us.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
I think it's transparent enough that the games are broadcast live and we get eleventy replays from twelventy camera angles after each remotely iffy call on ice. It's not like anyone's trying to hide what the refs are up to.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Make them answer questions after the game from media the same way the players/coaches do.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Make them answer questions after the game from media the same way the players/coaches do.
What do officials make a year? Think that guys are going to want to put up with that level of daily scrutiny from the public for what they earn?

what quality of people are you going to get to do that job moving forward?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad