Proposal: Acceptable Trouba trade

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That is an awful lot to put on a 23 year olds shoulders.

Who would you see in a trade for Trouba that is realistic?
It is, but there are defensemen who have successfully carried that load. Ristolainen isn't a part of that group that largely consists of premier defensemen.

I don't want to see a Trouba trade. We are bound to lose every one of them in the short term. That is why I would ask for the best package of prospects any team could give me. That helps dealing with the cap crunch and gives us ammo for the future. I do not want to trade him for some old replacement who we cannot afford to keep in the long run and some mediocre futures that won't amount to much.

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
His contract is up next year and it is very likely he prices himself off of our team. If you're the Jets, you take this deal and run IMO, but it makes no sense for Ottawa to pick up a 31 year old Wheeler on an expiring contract.

Would love to get the local boy Stone on the Jets tho.
Stone still has the imprint of buffs license plate on his forehead.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Honestly a three way deal makes most sense. But it's not the NBA, it hardly happens in the NHL. We get a Nylander, Keller etc type of player then flip them to another team for a Dman. That would give us for more options and a better return. But it never happens.

Reactions: GNP and ps241

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You mean the jets would be adding. Giving up a top 4 Dman that's about 20 years old on an entry level contract for a 2 year rental.
do you honestly believe that the Jets would add in the deal?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
do you honestly believe that the Jets would add in the deal?
Forget the add by arizona. Do you think Arizona would trade a top 4 Dman on a elc for a 2 year rental. The guy is going to be a ufa in 2 years no gm is giving anything of real value for him cause he is walking. Keller chychrun come on man. And you want them to add

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Honestly a three way deal makes most sense. But it's not the NBA, it hardly happens in the NHL. We get a Nylander, Keller etc type of player then flip them to another team for a Dman. That would give us for more options and a better return. But it never happens.
My issue with this is why wouldn't the Leafs or Yotes just trade Nylander or Keller for a D, if that's what we would do. I think the Leafs are a likely suitor, as are a few other contenders (especially TB). I don't think it makes sense for a building team to trade for Trouba unless he agrees to a contract extension in advance.

Reactions: GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You mean the jets would be adding. Giving up a top 4 Dman that's about 20 years old on an entry level contract for a 2 year rental.
I think Chychrun might be overrated here. I'd like to see him have another strong year before I'm confident that he's a real top 4 D.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yes the contract terms has trade value but Trouba is quite a bit better than Chychrun plus he is a RHD. Arizona has a lot of depth on LHS but is thin on the right. Chychrun also has injury issues.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I’m okay with high draft pick + prospect for Trouba Sometimes it’s a blessing that a long term contract was not signed as there’s more flexibility in cap space to resign Morrissey Wheeler, Myers and extend Laine and Connor

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Trouba is still worth just about that. He is truly not that great of a player as some people like to think .

I agree with Ippenator here -- to me Trouba is a good solid upper middle type defenseman-- but that's about as far as it goes. I think I'd take Josh Morrissey over Trouba. If we get someone solid in return for Trouba we won't miss a beat.

I think Chevy can use all this Trouba negotiating attention to the Jet's favor--as anytime a player does this type of grandstanding and brings attention to himself, like Trouba has done--it causes other GM's to feel the guy is more valuable than he actually is--and will overpay for him. Chevy is "not" the type of GM that will be romanced or coerced into oversigning a player that has brought a lot of attention to himself--which is really why I like Chevy running the team.

I would love to see the Jet's acquire Sergechev from Tampa for Trouba-- but I doubt Tampa would make that kind of trade.

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I’m okay with high draft pick + prospect for Trouba Sometimes it’s a blessing that a long term contract was not signed as there’s more flexibility in cap space to resign Morrissey Wheeler, Myers and extend Laine and Connor
But we're trying to contend for the cup...we need something to help us now.

Also, people wondering if they'd get Trocheck with Trouba...there's no way in hell. Trocheck is a 1b center, he plays insane minutes against tough competition and puts up great point totals. The fact that Florida has him locked in for 4.7 mil is actually absurd. Also no way he'd fetch Ekblad either.

People don't want to pay him 8 mil but want the return that a Dman of that level would fetch. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Id rather not move him this year as Jets have a great chance to take the cup.

But if it has to be done.

Trouba for
Legit 2C if 1 for 1

Or

Trouba plus one of Copp , Perrault, Petan
Even Vesalainen
For a 2C plus a blue chip RD prospect that is good to go in 1 to 2 years.

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
Trouba, Petan, 2020 2nd ---> BUF
McCabe, Reinhart, 2020 3rd ---> WPG

Is Reinhart UFA or RFA?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
None of those guys would be even close to available for him.

It's just better to lower the expectations on his return value already.

Not sure Matt Duchene was more embattled and a more distressed asset with two seasons left on his deal and no assurances of an extension that was ever reported and he returned:

“Samuel Girard, Vladislav Kamenev and a 2018 second-round draft pick from Nashville along with forward Shane Bowers, goaltender Andrew Hammond, a 2018 first-round pick and 2019 third-round selection from Ottawa.”

That was last season.

Also remember within weeks of the track suit incident Chevy packaged up AN INJURED Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf for Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemmy, and a 1st.

Trouba is a cost controlled top pairing RHD for two seasons and that is a life time for some GM’s. Here in Winnipeg we are use to Chevy having insane job security but out in the real world most GM’s are fighting for their lives and they are one crappy season away from being fired. There are always situationally motivated buyers for high end assets.

JT is a very attractive bridge asset for short term help for championships now.....he is also a very attractive long term asset even though he will want a big contract.

If Chevy is shopping now he will get real offers because top pairing, top 30 in the NHL, young, RHD men don’t come on the market at very often.

Chin up BB88 we may be disappointed with the return when it happens but there is no reason to ratchet down expectations yet.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Trouba and who else?

I know Panarin wasn't your idea but we don't need another soon to be expensive scoring winger on this team. Also Panarin is in the last year of his contract and I hightly doubt Winnipeg is on his list of places to play in 2018-19. With Seth Jones in the mix I don't think Columbus needs Trouba as bad as other teams might.

In summary Winnipeg doesn't need Panarin, the pending UFA probably doesn't want to be here, and Columbus doesn't need Trouba. Other than that its a hell of an idea.

Reactions: Paul Maurice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad