Proposal: Acceptable Trouba trade

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
My standard response to this is, let's wait and see if we even have another shot at the Cup this year. That will have a big effect on how we view our current assets.

It’s a pretty safe bet we’re a playoff team so if you’re suggesting potential deadline deal, I’d be quite surprised even if we don’t look like a serious Cup contender because once the playoffs start it’s pretty open.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If next offseason the offers are a pick and a prospect don't you think the play would be to keep him for one more shot at a cup and then let him walk for nothing? You're probably paying almost that price at the deadline to shore up the D if Trouba is gone.

Teams will be able to talk extension with him at that point. We should extract good value for a "to be extended" Trouba or I'd rather just keep him and let him walk for nothing honestly. Teams can't bank on signing him as a UFA because we could trade him elsewhere and he could sign an extension there. If you want Trouba (cough, Detroit, cough) you've got to put up a decent offer to guarantee that you get him. It's a risky play to assume he'll be available as a UFA. They could give us Hronek as a RHD replacement and Veleno/Rasmussen/1st to help fill in the center depth as well so we could address some needs. We don't need to get a Larkin, Zadina, Svech, Mantha in return and they should be satisfied not giving up a crown jewel prospect.

IMO he extends with Detroit, Tampa or Florida and all three teams have packages they could put together that I would be ok with after this season.

Apparently Patches nixed an earlier deal when he wouldn't extend. Now it turns out that this trade was contingent on the extension. That has to be the model for Trouba.

I think there are quite a few potential landing spots for Trouba but I don't see either Florida team as likely. TBL fans finally convinced me that their cap issues rule him out there. Not impossible of course, but highly unlikely. Panthers have Ekblad as 1RHD at 7.5 AAV. I just don't see then giving up assets to get a 2RHD making as much. And why would they want to swap Trouba for Ekblad unless we threw in a good sweetener. Would we want to do that? I guess I shouldn't rule that out. The sweetener would have to be pretty good though, IMO.

Detroit, Isles, Rags, Stars top my list of possibles.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Apparently Patches nixed an earlier deal when he wouldn't extend. Now it turns out that this trade was contingent on the extension. That has to be the model for Trouba.

I think there are quite a few potential landing spots for Trouba but I don't see either Florida team as likely. TBL fans finally convinced me that their cap issues rule him out there. Not impossible of course, but highly unlikely. Panthers have Ekblad as 1RHD at 7.5 AAV. I just don't see then giving up assets to get a 2RHD making as much. And why would they want to swap Trouba for Ekblad unless we threw in a good sweetener. Would we want to do that? I guess I shouldn't rule that out. The sweetener would have to be pretty good though, IMO.

Detroit, Isles, Rags, Stars top my list of possibles.

That's too bad about Tampa Bay. I assumed that was going to be his landing spot because they have $11.2MM in D cap coming off the books in 3 players (Stralman, Coburn & Girardi) and 2 of them are RHD. I felt like there was a fit there for them to lock him up long term. I haven't looked deeper into their cap situation than that. They have Point as an RFA that could be expensive but Dotchin or Koekkoek can't be in line for monster raises. Callahan's $5.8 comes off the books the same time they need to extend Vasilevsky. If they're trading us Sergachev or Foote that's someone they don't need to pay. Oh well. I think I could make that work but if they say they can't then whatever. Stevie Y bridged Kucherov and his new salary is likely what causes the cap crunch. Maybe instead of a D we take back Miller to play 2c and suddenly they can afford him. Point is, if you want Trouba there are hypothetical other deals we could make so you'd have to come with a half way decent offer or we should just ride it out into free agency and he becomes a cap casualty.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's too bad about Tampa Bay. I assumed that was going to be his landing spot because they have $11.2MM in D cap coming off the books in 3 players (Stralman, Coburn & Girardi) and 2 of them are RHD. I felt like there was a fit there for them to lock him up long term. I haven't looked deeper into their cap situation than that. They have Point as an RFA that could be expensive but Dotchin or Koekkoek can't be in line for monster raises. Callahan's $5.8 comes off the books the same time they need to extend Vasilevsky. If they're trading us Sergachev or Foote that's someone they don't need to pay. Oh well. I think I could make that work but if they say they can't then whatever. Stevie Y bridged Kucherov and his new salary is likely what causes the cap crunch. Maybe instead of a D we take back Miller to play 2c and suddenly they can afford him. Point is, if you want Trouba there are hypothetical other deals we could make so you'd have to come with a half way decent offer or we should just ride it out into free agency and he becomes a cap casualty.
Jets could find a way to make it work with TB, with taking a bit of salary, if Trouba is off the books. The Isles will have a ton of cap space and not much quality on D. Not sure what good futures they have, though. Beauvillier would be a decent starting point.

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
lets trade whole team almost to get RANTANEN and mcCinnon to be with laine at 1st line. lets see. getting ridden of too much earning soon to be propably heavyweight for Winnipeg Wheelers . also sheifele and Ehlers and Little and so forths. of course only dreaming and it would not be accepted anyway by team of Colorado. onyl dreaming for best for laine
. ABSOlute monster team would Be with vesalainen, rantanen, mcCinnon and MR hockey..Laine

Sir avgard hockeyprofessor

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yeah, I did the same kind of 'other team's fan' analysis. I can't even recall all the details but every way I tried around it there was another roadblock.

IIRC, I think they were going to retain Stralman but they wouldn't need him if they got Trouba. Then there are Gourde, Point, Sergachev and Vasilevski. Add 4 for Gourde, 6 for Point, at least 5 for Sergachev and 4 for Vasilevski = 19. They have 2.5 now. They will recover 5.8 from Callahan, 3.7 from Coburn, 3 from Girardi, 4.5 from Stralman and 1.8 when Carle comes of the books = 21.3. Minus the 19 for those raises leaves just 2.3 to sign Trouba or Stralman plus replace Cally, Coburn & Girardi. Those 4 getting raises could get 2-3 mil more than that 19, and figure an avg of about 750k for each replacement. Not enough even allowing for moderate cap increases. They don't even have enough to keep Stralman.

I tried looking at ways to take cap back but couldn't make it work. I finally surrendered.

That doesn't completely eliminate the possibility. When teams can get a good player they seem to be able to find ways to make it work. But it is clear that it won't be easy. TBL have their cap problem to solve with or without Trouba. Who knows what Yzerman might do?

Reactions: ps241

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I think Detroit has to be back in the running. Their prospect depth has improved enough to potentially entice the Jets. Their salary cap issues would need to be worked out.

Veleno, Hronak, Daley, pick(s)

for Trouba

Jets get a dman for now, a dman for later, a decent C prospect, and a lottery ticket or two.

Detroit gets their first legit #1 dman since.... Lidstrom?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think Detroit has to be back in the running. Their prospect depth has improved enough to potentially entice the Jets. Their salary cap issues would need to be worked out.

Veleno, Hronak, Daley, pick(s)

for Trouba

Jets get a dman for now, a dman for later, a decent C prospect, and a lottery ticket or two.

Detroit gets their first legit #1 dman since.... Lidstrom?

Except....isn't Detroit in a rebuilding phase? I think any Trouba trade goes to a contender who feels that they are 1 top D away from a cup run.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Trouba to Florida for Bjustad + 2020 1st + one of Gildon/Serron/Heponiemi

Needs to be Borgstrom and not Bjugstad for me.

They would have lot's of $ tied up in Trouba and Ekblad too. If they could afford it, that would be the basis of two solid pairs, especially with Matheson.

Reactions: voyageur

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Trouba and Little to OTT. Duchene, Chabot and picks come back. Imagine all that rise.
Little has a no-trade clause and Trouba wouldn't re-sign with Ottawa. This trade makes zero sense.

I like the trade around Trouba to TB for Foote +.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not as worried about Little as some others. Last year he struggled a bit, but part of it was due to a lesser role and ice-time, and a mix of line-mates.

He came to camp in outstanding shape last season, and I expect he'll keep himself in very good shape this year and in the future.

If you consider what 2/3 C cost, his cap hit is fine. Tyler Bozak is earning $5M in StL for the next 3 years (he's 32 this year). Adam Henrique will be earning $5.825M starting next year. I take Little over both of them over the term of his contract.

I think that the Jets should tether Little to Perreault this season, and give them a good young scorer on the other wing (like Ehlers or Vesalainen), and let them feast on some bottom-6 competition.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Needs to be Borgstrom and not Bjugstad for me.

They would have lot's of $ tied up in Trouba and Ekblad too. If they could afford it, that would be the basis of two solid pairs, especially with Matheson.

My thought is they would not trade say Trocheck and Borgstrom is a replacement for Bjugstad and a cheap one at that. I haven't seen much of Bjugstad sometimes he looks good and others not so good.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
My thought is they would not trade say Trocheck and Borgstrom is a replacement for Bjugstad and a cheap one at that. I haven't seen much of Bjugstad sometimes he looks good and others not so good.

Agreed that they wouldn't move Trocheck. Personally though, if they are not putting a guy like Borgstrom on the table, then I wouldn't be very interested.

We can use that cheap hit as well, and his ceiling is much higher IMO.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
So now that Karlsson has gone to SJS, TB may be more inclined to go after Jacob Trouba having missed out. This would be predicated on Karlsson staying in SJS of course after signing an extension and not just walking to TB in FA but this definitely helps the Jets case as TB is likely Troubas proffered destination. Problem with TB is that they're in the same "win now" mode so they likely only want to move picks/prospects but what would interest you from TB that would be an acceptable Trouba deal?

For me I'm looking at:

Cal Foote
one of Borris Katchook/Taylor Raddysh (neither of which TB are likely wanting to give up)
Slater Koekkek
2020 1st (TB 2019 1st is conditional traded to NYR) but could add condition that this becomes a 2019 1st if it doesn't go to the NYR

for

Trouba (signed extension)
Copp

Ideally you'd want Sergachev back for Trouba but our LHD outlook is actually better then our RHD outlook and Foote could be a good Trouba replacement in a year or two plus TB likely don't want to give up Sergachev for anything.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The Zetterberg retirement clears the way for a Hronek+ trade.

If we have to work a younger replacement into the lineup, it's best to do that soon while Buff and Myers can carry a heavier load.

JMo - Buff
Niku- Myers
Kulikov - Hronek
Chiarot - Poolman

Looks strong to me, for now and the future.

Is an 18 1st a reasonable ask for the +?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Zetterberg retirement clears the way for a Hronek+ trade.

If we have to work a younger replacement into the lineup, it's best to do that soon while Buff and Myers can carry a heavier load.

JMo - Buff
Niku- Myers
Kulikov - Hronek
Chiarot - Poolman

Looks strong to me, for now and the future.

Is an 18 1st a reasonable ask for the +?
That is a very green and unpredictable D. I can't imagine the Jets heading into a crucial season with that much inexperience on D.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
That is a very green and unpredictable D. I can't imagine the Jets heading into a crucial season with that much inexperience on D.

Sure there's 2 rookies, both had stellar rookie AHL seasons last year. If you look at the rest of the top 7, there's more than enough experience.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
[B said:
Ideally you'd want Sergachev back for Trouba[/B] but our LHD outlook is actually better then our RHD outlook and Foote could be a good Trouba replacement in a year or two plus TB likely don't want to give up Sergachev for anything.

Now that's a trade deal I like-Sergachev back for Trouba. I'd throw in Dano to boot. I'd even consider throwing in Copp to get Sergachev, if they didn't want Dano. What it would take to get Tampa to trade Sergachev ??

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sure there's 2 rookies, both had stellar rookie AHL seasons last year. If you look at the rest of the top 7, there's more than enough experience.
I disagree. I think the Jets D is much worse without Trouba.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Now that's a trade deal I like-Sergachev back for Trouba. I'd throw in Dano to boot. I'd even consider throwing in Copp to get Sergachev, if they didn't want Dano. What it would take to get Tampa to trade Sergachev ??

I can't see where they would want to trade Sergachev. I think Trouba's the better player, but Serg is younger and cheaper right now and has the ability to be as good or better in the future. If TB is interested in Trouba, it's to add him to Serg so they have a top 4 of Hedman, Trouba, McDonnagh, and Serg.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think they'd want a big add, like Serg for Trouba + 1st. and actually, with that pick being near the end of the first round, that might still not be enough. Serg for Trouba + Versa would get them thinking

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
It's not too late to trade Trouba and JoMo to the Sharks for EK. Throw in Little and grab the other EK as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad