About Prust's comments about Watson...

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Until we get robo refs it's going to be the same gong show ********. While I think that Prust's actions were pretty stupid I also think refs should be held accountable.

The NHL needs to get rid of that "old boys club" mentality, it's archaic.

whatever the ref said or did Prust embarrassed our team - he should have **** about it

DD51*

Until we get robo refs it's going to be the same gong show ********. While I think that Prust's actions were pretty stupid I also think refs should be held accountable.

The NHL needs to get rid of that "old boys club" mentality, it's archaic.

Colin Campbell...omg ! :shakehead

Karl Pilkington

Feb 25, 2004
Ottawa
www.canadiens.com
I'm not on the popular side of opinion on this one. I'm all for what Prust did. His actions were perfectly within the spirit of the code. Watson broke the code by baiting Prust into an extra two minute penalty. He breaks the code, then expects protection by the code? What Prust did wasn't an emotional breakdown, or a dishonourable thing. It takes honour to speak out when you know you're not going to get good light shed on you because of a distorted mentality and unquestionable reverence of authority most of the adolescent twitter-using sports fans of today follow.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I'm not on the popular side of opinion on this one. I'm all for what Prust did. His actions were perfectly within the spirit of the code. Watson broke the code by baiting Prust into an extra two minute penalty. He breaks the code, then expects protection by the code? What Prust did wasn't an emotional breakdown, or a dishonourable thing. It takes honour to speak out when you know you're not going to get good light shed on you because of a distorted mentality and unquestionable reverence of authority most of the adolescent twitter-using sports fans of today follow.

+1
I'm in the same camp. This stuff has to stop. It happens all the time and even the announcers always say"it should be done behind close doors" yeah that did real good with reversing Charas two suspensions too. The NHL is bush league and any of you so called fans who think what prust did is wrong should ask yourself the same question about how Chara had less punishment than prust for breaking a star players neck.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
+1
I'm in the same camp. This stuff has to stop. It happens all the time and even the announcers always say"it should be done behind close doors" yeah that did real good with reversing Charas two suspensions too. The NHL is bush league and any of you so called fans who think what prust did is wrong should ask yourself the same question about how Chara had less punishment than prust for breaking a star players neck.

And then the Bettman's and Campbell's in the NHL wonder why hockey is a sport that ranks behind the NFL, NBA, MLB, College Football, College Basketball, NASCAR, UFC, WWE Wrestling, Midget Wrestling, Monopoly and Battleship in the United States.

The NHL does a lot to delegitimize itself and marginalize the sport far too often. Small wonder why ESPN turns its nose up and says a big **** you to the NHL in the USA.

Moen is Gone

@MoeninGlory
Feb 13, 2007
Grenoble
twitter.com
p1gEdpf.gif

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
The one I'm blaming is Dominik Saillant. Prust should NOT have been in the locker room after the game. That's the Organisation's job after the game. Blame the PR guy for not barring Prust from meeting the press. They are usually very good at that. They slept at the wheel there.

And now, the refs will be on the Habs' case, you'll see. Therrien knows this and he was visibly PISSED about it.

Nynja*

The one I'm blaming is Dominik Saillant. Prust should NOT have been in the locker room after the game. That's the Organisation's job after the game. Blame the PR guy for not barring Prust from meeting the press. They are usually very good at that. They slept at the wheel there.

And now, the refs will be on the Habs' case, you'll see. Therrien knows this and he was visibly PISSED about it.

Look at the nucks games post-burrows incident

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Power-tripping ref? Aren't they all? They are refs....they do decide how the pace of the game will be played at. Besides...how about the power-tripping players? The ones who keep whining and tell refs all sorts of names and disrespecting them? Should we also know about the entire lack of respect on the ice?

Telling the truth? What truth? 'CAuse you know that Prust truth isn't necessarily the truth.....and that EVERYBODY is biased when it's time to talk about a decision that favors them or goes against them.

I have never seen a ref change his decision 'cause a player was shouting at him that he sucks. Never. Maybe if we'd start with that, just acknowledging the penalty even if you disagree with it, there wuldn't be refs who would respond. Actually I've been wondering why I haven't seen something like that way before. And if a ref messes up, and they do, it's their supervisor job to tell them how bad they were. Don't need the players to do so as if you would, every single decision they make would be bad.
Some refs are more power-tripping than others, just as some cops, customs officers, security guards etc... are more power-tripping than others.
I believe what Prust said was the truth even though the league led by the most honourable one Colin Campbell will try to cover it up to protect the integrity of the league and its officials.
I also agree players who verbally abuse officials should automatically receive a penalty but this rarely happens. Make it consistent then you will curtail these incidents.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Look at the nucks games post-burrows incident

Is this not the issue at hand? That refs shouldn't be able to carry over **** from the past but call as seen on the ice at the time of the crime. Not use their black book on a player to fill in for the on ice decision making?

Prust was an *******. That is not up for debate, the problem doesn't lie with how Prust behaved, or even how Watson slipped in this instance. But rather that the refs play favourites and have marked men and quite possibly marked teams. For the fans paying big money how is this right that a professional ref whom make what 300K a year can act like teenage boys at a sausage fest bar.

Nynja*

Im aware
But anyone afraid that were now going to have 6 penalties and the bolts 1...theres no precedent of this happening.

DailyKaizen

If I was not so stoic I would be left with a very bitter taste in my mouth by the amateur way the league is run...

Ottawa Head Coach, can outright threaten players and get away with it...what a free pass he got there eh...talk about double standards...just like the law of the land...terribly poor rules are written and enforced...and applied unequally across the spectrum, because Prust is a mere pawn on the periphery for the NHL overlords...they jumped at the chance to make an example of him...

I applaud the hf members here, the habs fans here who correctly and eruditely criticize substandard NHL rules, substandard officiating...and the little that is done about it...there is a vast ocean of improvement to be made.

It is a good thing Prust is monetarily compensated what he is...because man what a kick in the nuts...can't call a spade a spade...just shut up and play hockey eh, no matter the injustice that goes unattended and swept under the rug by the powers that be.

That said...Prust has to be smarter...to win, you have to know the rules of the game and use them to your advantage...NO EXCUSES..."kill or be killed" Prust got burnt this round this battle...hopefully he picks himself up adapts and becomes smarter and better..because it will be a cold day in hell before the NHL rules are properly ratified and enforced...

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
indeed. The league usually comes to the defense of its officials pretty quickly via fines, etc. When people step out of line. Waking up the next day to read about it is pretty common. That prust seemingly still hasn't been disciplined for his words suggests to me that he wasn't as off base as all the habs haters out there would love to believe.

Davebo*

Don't worry - I'm with you. Those officials came into the game with a preconceived notion of how they were going to treat certain Habs, and totally affected the momentum of the series.

Officials are supposed to be un-biased, but Watson's actions, and the comments from retired officials fraser and stewart prove that refs have chips on their shoulders, and control the game based on that, and not what they are seeing.

rabbit4949

Apr 1, 2013
i think that it is time for coach and gm to read riot act to players.tell them to to stop running their mouth every time they get a penalty. tell them to stop running their mouth every time a penalty is not called.show a little class.do i think that games are officiated fairly? not a chance! but it is not the player's job to fight with the officials.this is a good way to make things even worse. do you think that the constant whining does not rub the officials the wrong way.the coach can get out his checkbook at the press conference and rail against the officials or he can meet them before every game and discuss his team's issues in private.nothing good will ever come your team's way by publicly embarrassing officials.it will take time to change this culture of whining but it has to be done because frankly it is embarrassing to hab fans. the haters do not even talk about the game or the score anymore, just the player's attitudes.the coach must staple players to the bench or sit them out or have gm move them if they continue to show lack of character. i am not saying show no emotion or play like robots, just play hard.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
i think that it is time for coach and gm to read riot act to players.tell them to to stop running their mouth every time they get a penalty. tell them to stop running their mouth every time a penalty is not called.show a little class.do i think that games are officiated fairly? not a chance! but it is not the player's job to fight with the officials.this is a good way to make things even worse. do you think that the constant whining does not rub the officials the wrong way.the coach can get out his checkbook at the press conference and rail against the officials or he can meet them before every game and discuss his team's issues in private.nothing good will ever come your team's way by publicly embarrassing officials.it will take time to change this culture of whining but it has to be done because frankly it is embarrassing to hab fans. the haters do not even talk about the game or the score anymore, just the player's attitudes.the coach must staple players to the bench or sit them out or have gm move them if they continue to show lack of character. i am not saying show no emotion or play like robots, just play hard.

Except the refs were screwing the Habs in the game before Prust spoke up.

Explain that. And while you are explaining that, you are admitting to the problem in the NHL with regard to referees. They are supposed to have no emotion or bias. Without that, the game has no integrity and becomes a fraud.

Now what?

headliner

Feb 11, 2007
Amazing…the infallibility of the NHL.

1. Campbell gets to call Prust a liar. Prust has to eat it…along with a $5000 fine.
2. Watson gets to continue reffing in these playoffs….albeit with an earful from Campbell, no doubt.

Absolute power, what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad