Confirmed with Link: Abdelkader placed on waivers for buyout

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I honestly don't get it. Unless Stevie is spending big on free agency.

Otherwise bury him in the minors, now his hit, while much less, lasts for twice as long.

Just bury him in GR for a couple years.

Only other possibility is if they don't want him to take a spot in the organization. With all the draft capitol, maybe they plan to sign more young guys to get more looks at their potential.

I think that's a part of it. Adbelkdar would still be causing issues if he took a roster spot in GR - it's best to cut ties while the Wings still can handle some dead cap space.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Ugh why????

Maybe another move is coming but what do really need the extra cap space for right now?

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Abdelkaders play last year honestly had me thinking I still had a shot in the nhl. Mind you I’ve never played hockey at a competitive level outside of beer league... but he gave me hope. This move is devastating for me. Yzerman has killed my dreams.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
If Nielsen is waived then it means the AHL season is very likely to not happen. Due to signing bonuses the cap space saved is less than burying the contract, the only benefit in buying him out is freeing up a roster spot in the NHL.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If it means it gives Yzerman more opportunities to turn cap space into draft picks, I'm all for it.

Even then, we got loads of cap space to take on contracts for picks. We had 26ish million. That would have left us 16 million to sign Bert, mantha a goalie and still had 10ish million to take on contracts.

Unless there are multiple moves coming I’d have preferred we just bite the bullet and ride out the contract than carry dead money for 6 years

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Abdelkaders play last year honestly had me thinking I still had a shot in the nhl.

That was me watching Howard. If it weren't for this pandemic, my comeback was inevitable.

I’m dead serious…How much you wanna make a bet I can deflect a puck over them mountains?… Yeah… If Blash woulda put me in third period, we would’ve been Cup champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Even then, we got loads of cap space to take on contracts for picks.

Unless there are multiple moves coming I’d prefer we just bite the bullet and ride out the contract than carry dead money for 6 years

The dead money isnt that much, sure its still a negative but we need to have talent before we worry about finding room under the cap for those players. I look forward to the day we have the problems of Tampa, Vegas and Toronto.

Reactions: Reddwit

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
What's strange is he doesn't seem to be willing to spend on the Tigers like he is on the Wings.

Granted, baseball money is different than hockey money.

You must have been in a coma from 2008 to about 2016, because that's crazy. He will spend, but they had to build their futures back after that long run of dominance with high salary cap.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That was me watching Howard. If it weren't for this pandemic, my comeback was inevitable.

I’m dead serious…How much you wanna make a bet I can deflect a puck over them mountains?… Yeah… If Blash woulda put me in third period, we would’ve been Cup champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

Took me three times to hit the like button as I was laughing while trying to do so!

Avery Rule

Jun 1, 2010
Was shocked to see that, but I also don't believe there will be an AHL season this year, and I wonder how that would work with a club trying to bury a contract? would be funny to see someone end up if Toledo if they cant send to the Griffins.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Stevie f***ing Yzerman!!!

Thank you for cleaning up another one of Holland's messes.

I seriously could not believe it when I saw this thread title.

Reactions: KJoe88 and Henkka

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I'm surprised everyone is saying this is a sign that Chris Ilitch is willing to spend money. It's pretty clear this is a move aimed at saving $3.2M in actual cash. From a cap perspective, they're probably better off keeping for another year or two while they have plenty of cap space - this move is all about saving cash, not cap space.

Reactions: Gniwder

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I've disliked the Abby contract from day one and said it would be our David Clarkson deal.
Here we are.
Anyway, I don't see the need for a buyout, to be honest. There are 3 years left. Dump him to GR. If there's no AHL, there still has to be mechanism to bury him.
What's the rush?

Anyway, Abby was still a good PK guy. He was also one of the best low-event/Blashill hockey guys on the team.
But I'm glad at least we know he won't be playing for the Wings when this starts.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The dead money isnt that much, sure its still a negative but we need to have talent before we worry about finding room under the cap for those players. I look forward to the day we have the problems of Tampa, Vegas and Toronto.

I mean, unless we end up operating with less than 2 million of cap space what’s the point?

Again, we had space to take on approximately 10 million in contracts prior to this move so I just don’t see the point.

Of course, if Yzerman spends that and then some, I get it. But otherwise they’d better off riding out the contract

Reactions: MBH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad