Confirmed with Link: Abdelkader placed on waivers for buyout

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Could also be they are starting to think no AHL... Alzner just hit the waiver wire for buyout too. We know the plan was to bury him. Curious if that factors into this.

Ohh I completely forgot about that factor.

But also Krug and Hall... Welcome to Detroit. :sarcasm:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Cutthroat! Different than the previous regime. I know the loyalty piece was huge but that was when we were good.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It was time. I appreciate Yzerman not wanting to f*** around with the player or contract any longer.

Reactions: Bench

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm just happy Yzerman is going to put his stamp on the team this year. Will be nice to see the new post-Holland era take flight.

We did already know Abby wasn't going to be on the team this year. The buyout suggest more aggression than I had previously heard. This was ownership authorized so again glad to see the Ilitch family pandemic and all is backing all of Yzerman's money moves.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I'm thinking there isn't going to be an AHL season that teams can bury guys like Alzner and Gator in. We might see a 28+ man roster for teams so that they can have game-ready injury relief. Stevie didn't want Abby on the team after his last season and this is the natural follow through to that.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Peace bitch.

Honestly, I don't have any fond Abby memories. I know he didn't offer himself that contract but he never did anything before that to endear me to him (other than come from Michigan and play for the MI College I don't like). Good luck in whatever field you move into.

Oh man, don't you remember that sweet pass Datsyuk bounced in off his butt 20 times 2 years in a row? Oh, you said fond memories, sorry!

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
God, I’m so happy. Can’t believe this guy wore an A last season - he was uninspiring trash for the entire year. It’s one thing to fall off your game, but when you can’t even bothered to play the role of an energy player, you deserve to be sent packing. Hopefully this move is a signal to the fans and the franchise that things are going to change around here.

As for the cap impact, we probably won’t need that extra $2-3M in space for the next 3 years, and after that I can live with a $1M cap hit.

Reactions: NotLeddy and avssuc

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Could also be they are starting to think no AHL... Alzner just hit the waiver wire for buyout too. We know the plan was to bury him. Curious if that factors into this.
Even with no AHL season couldn’t you still bury a contract there in terms of paperwork and money? The player just doesn’t play?

Reactions: avssuc

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
We did already know Abby wasn't going to be on the team this year. The buyout suggest more aggression than I had previously heard. This was ownership authorized so again glad to see the Ilitch family pandemic and all is backing all of Yzerman's money moves.

Agree with that. The Wings have always been the Ilitch's bread and butter so I'm sure they want to get them back to prominence. A good draft this year and a few key moves could have the Wings trending up shortly.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I think this aspect of the last couple weeks is huge. We are still a big spender when the chips are down.
What's strange is he doesn't seem to be willing to spend on the Tigers like he is on the Wings.

Granted, baseball money is different than hockey money.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Even with no AHL season couldn’t you still bury a contract there in terms of paperwork and money? The player just doesn’t play?

Not sure. I just find it interesting Montreal bought out their bury contract at the same time. Similar stance as Abdelkader most of the summer in terms of AHL leader they didn't need to buy out. Both are now bought out.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I am a little surprised. I thought we would eat it for another year to shorten the overall term.

Reactions: PullHard

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What's strange is he doesn't seem to be willing to spend on the Tigers like he is on the Wings.

Granted, baseball money is different than hockey money.

Chris played hockey growing up and still plays men's league hockey. I think it is the more important sport to him, it always has been for Marian from what I understand. I don't think it was crazy when the Tigers and Gilbert were linked after Mike's death.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I honestly don't get it. Unless Stevie is spending big on free agency.

Otherwise bury him in the minors, now his hit, while much less, lasts for twice as long.

Just bury him in GR for a couple years.

Only other possibility is if they don't want him to take a spot in the organization. With all the draft capitol, maybe they plan to sign more young guys to get more looks at their potential.

Reactions: 14ari13 and MBH
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
wooooooooooooooo!

Good job Yzerman, thank goodness we don't have to watch him anymore. His level of play has been cringeworthy for the last 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad