Confirmed with Link: Abdelkader placed on waivers for buyout

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I’d take the bet, but when my stance is that Abby would get a PTO if he CHOOSES to play then if Abby doesn’t get one it makes it impossible to know if Abby took the year off, retired, or wasn’t offered anything.

If the bet is simply, WILL Abby sign a PTO, then I agree he most likely won’t play because I think the chances of retirement or a year off are high.
The bet is either he signs or doesn't. There's really no way to know WHY he retires. COuld be because he couldn't get a PTO or it could be because of the money. (He's obviously gonna make league min, and he still has buyout money coming)

So take it or leave it.... You can't place a bet where I have no chance of winning. I'm crazy, not stupid.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
The bet is either he signs or doesn't. There's really no way to know WHY he retires. COuld be because he couldn't get a PTO or it could be because of the money. (He's obviously gonna make league min, and he still has buyout money coming)

So take it or leave it.... You can't place a bet where I have no chance of winning. I'm crazy, not stupid.

I never asked you to, I agree this bet makes no sense given the info we will likely get.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would not be shocked if he got a PTO, I would not even be shocked if he was signed to a year at league minimum. He would definitely make our team better signing with another team by nature of reducing the level of competition we face. I mean if he signed in our conference we would get double improvement of one no longer having him on the roster and two playing against him. In a way we should hope he signs.

My only minor beef with this is that he still hurts us with cap penalty longer than it needed to. Chris's willingness to put empty cap space on the books to pinch some pennies is a red flag to me. Not saying its a smoking gun and we are screwed but it definitely made me say "huh"? Some would argue a few million dollars is a lot of money and of course it is, but some also might not think about how a billionaire worrying over a few million is like us having sleepless nights over 30 bucks. My gut says prime time Mike would not have done this and I think its worth taking note that Chris's ownership might not have the same open purse strings we are accustomed to.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I think I'm shocked that anybody cares whether he gets a PTO or not. He's no longer a Wing and is definitely not a threat to play against - he's irrelevant whether in or out of the league.

There’s nothing to talk about with hockey in question in the foreseeable future. Does it really bother you that much?

Nowhere did anyone say he’s a threat or question his relevance

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
There’s nothing to talk about with hockey in question in the foreseeable future. Does it really bother you that much?

Nowhere did anyone say he’s a threat or question his relevance
It doesn't bother me. People can chat about whatever they like. I'm just surprised that so many people chose to beat this particular dead horse when I don't happen to find it at all interesting.

Reactions: Ezekial

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He can still wait for few months... the signing deadline for UFAs to play at this season is trade deadline. RFAs earlier.

Could be typical "get that beer league guy like Joey Kocur" signing from Ken Holland in mid-March.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He can still wait for few months... the signing deadline for UFAs to play at this season is trade deadline. RFAs earlier.

Could be typical "get that beer league guy like Joey Kocur" signing from Ken Holland in mid-March.
Very doubtful when there's a taxi squad on each team. Strange time to jump into the argument when it's pretty obvious that he's done.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Akader doesn't seem to be done by himself.

He is done when he informs us about a retirement.
He's done because he's not capable of NHL level play. That's been my argument all along.

Nobody gives a crap what Abby thinks, you don't get to play in the NHL just because you want to play. Otherwise we'd all be in the league instead of arguing here.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Not retired yet:
Ex-Detroit Red Wing Justin Abdelkader eager to find new NHL team

No PTO
2020 Professional Tryouts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I told you so.

He's done because he's not capable of NHL level play. That's been my argument all along.

Nobody gives a crap what Abby thinks, you don't get to play in the NHL just because you want to play. Otherwise we'd all be in the league instead of arguing here.

La de f***ing da. We know that he sucks. We bought him out because he sucked and was taking up a roster spot that could go to a good player.

He's not going to retire because he is going to wait and see if something shakes out with a taxi squad where he could sign a deal and play. I mean, I don't care what Abdelkader thinks... but he shouldn't have to retire if he thinks he can still play and he wants to put hope on the fact that a team might need an emergency signee in the middle of the year during the continuation of a pandemic.

Reactions: Henkka

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
La de f***ing da. We know that he sucks. We bought him out because he sucked and was taking up a roster spot that could go to a good player.

He's not going to retire because he is going to wait and see if something shakes out with a taxi squad where he could sign a deal and play. I mean, I don't care what Abdelkader thinks... but he shouldn't have to retire if he thinks he can still play and he wants to put hope on the fact that a team might need an emergency signee in the middle of the year during the continuation of a pandemic.
I have no idea why you're entering the argument, especially if you don't care. That's really f'ing odd.

I didn't say he needed to retire, at this point it doesn't impact the WIngs. If you read the previous 2 pages, people were arguing with me that he'd get a PTO, and he didn't. That's my point.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Seems like a perfect taxi squad player. Not for us, for like, Edmonton or something.

That's actually the scenario I see playing out. My guess is he prefers to go somewhere else, hence "the right fit", but once he realizes the demand is just not there he will go wherever he gets an offer which IMO will be Edmonton. Again, I'm talking taxi squad here, Im not calling him a top 9 or top 12 guy.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Who is Abby competing with on the market?

If there's still a good amount of guys like him on the market I have a lot less hope he'll find work

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's actually the scenario I see playing out. My guess is he prefers to go somewhere else, hence "the right fit", but once he realizes the demand is just not there he will go wherever he gets an offer which IMO will be Edmonton. Again, I'm talking taxi squad here, Im not calling him a top 9 or top 12 guy.
Abby is more than likely is waiting for a one way contract (speculation). I don't see any reason why he'd agree to a two way if he's pulling in $1M/yr on his buyout for the next 6 years. I also don't see any team willing to pay league minimum for a warm practice body, when they can offer up a two way contract to someone else and pay less than $100k.

Who is Abby competing with on the market?

If there's still a good amount of guys like him on the market I have a lot less hope he'll find work
2020 NHL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

I'm sure everyone on that list skates faster than Abby with the exception of Howard, and some of the other goalies, but only if they're wearing goalie pads. I think the goalies could beat Abby if they wore regular pads.

Reactions: kliq

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
To be fair, in a typical season that doesn't have a 36 player roster limit for camp and has an actual pre-season with exhibition games where you need to dress a certain number of guys that have NHL experience, a player of Abdelkader's ilk would probably pretty easily get a PTO. Either with an actual chance to compete for a roster spot or just for insurance to make sure they meet the preseason veteran rules when they split the squad for the road PS games.

And no, that's not an endorsement for Abdelkader's ability to continue to play in the NHL, just saying he has the requisite credentials to get a PTO in a normal season.

I mean Abdelkader is probably as much done as guys like Booth and Stewart and much less so than Darling, when all of them got PTO's -mostly because of who they knew in the organization or something like that.

I'm betting the start of the AHL season next month is when we'll see some of the vets that are still floating as UFA's get some consideration. There might be some teams that have reservations about keeping young guys/prospects or their AAAA vets on the taxi squad to mostly just practice with the big club rather than get valuable game time or play an important role on the AHL club. In that case, Abdelkader might make more sense. Checks a box for the TS requirement without keeping a young guy from games or a key guy from making the AHL squad competitive. If for some reason you're forced to summon him from the TS and play Abdelkader, give him 4-5 sheltered 4th line minutes until you can call up someone better. Otherwise he's just practicing with the team and maybe telling the boys stories about something uplifting Nick Lidstrom did back in the 2008 Finals.

Reactions: kliq

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm betting the start of the AHL season next month is when we'll see some of the vets that are still floating as UFA's get some consideration. There might be some teams that have reservations about keeping young guys/prospects or their AAAA vets on the taxi squad to mostly just practice with the big club rather than get valuable game time or play an important role on the AHL club. In that case, Abdelkader might make more sense. Checks a box for the TS requirement without keeping a young guy from games or a key guy from making the AHL squad competitive. If for some reason you're forced to summon him from the TS and play Abdelkader, give him 4-5 sheltered 4th line minutes until you can call up someone better. Otherwise he's just practicing with the team and maybe telling the boys stories about something uplifting Nick Lidstrom did back in the 2008 Finals.
I bet teams will only sign players willing to do 2 way contracts, and I doubt Abby will considering he's making $1M/yr already. I think someone like Bowey might do it though.

Plus teams would be better off dressing 7D instead of putting Abby on the ice, has everyone already forgotten how horrible he was?

49 games 0G 3A -14

That's about as useless as you can get.... not to mention he's the slowest skater in the league now.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Last time I checked, there is no market for terrible 4th liners. Or an organization could just bring up one of their fringe prospects and roll the dice on them. At least you could argue that there is some upside to giving them a shot.

Gator’s career unofficially ended when Datsyuk retired.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I still think there is a high probability that he signs with someone eventually. The fact that he is looking for "the right fit" either means that teams have expressed interest, but its not teams he wants to play for, OR its just PR BS by his agent.

Whoever signs him should be immediately relieved from their duties

Reactions: WingedWheel1987

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad