Confirmed with Link: Abdelkader placed on waivers for buyout

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Holland extended Gator during November after having a very productive first 1.5 months of the season. This was a mistake several reasons, but the two biggest reasons were:

1. From a bargaining position Gator's value was at its absolute highest it had ever been (ignoring the context and only looking at the stat sheet) Which is what any agent is going to do.
2. There was no real incentive to extend him so soon.

Holland extended Gator even though Datsyuk had already informed him that he was gonna retire at the end of the season. This is the only portion of the Gator contract that requires hindsight. However Ken Holland did know well ahead of time that the biggest factor in Gator's production would soon be taking his piano to Moscow.

Gator's contract is a summation of all the little mistakes Holland started to make at the start of the 09-10 season in one contract.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Holland extended Gator during November after having a very productive first 1.5 months of the season. This was a mistake several reasons, but the two biggest reasons were:

1. From a bargaining position Gator's value was at its absolute highest it had ever been (ignoring the context and only looking at the stat sheet) Which is what any agent is going to do.
2. There was no real incentive to extend him so soon.

Holland extended Gator even though Datsyuk had already informed him that he was gonna retire at the end of the season. This is the only portion of the Gator contract that requires hindsight. However Ken Holland did know well ahead of time that the biggest factor in Gator's production would soon be taking his piano to Moscow.

Gator's contract is a summation of all the little mistakes Holland started to make at the start of the 09-10 season in one contract.

I also fault Holland for not having the hockey sense to know that Abby was going to regress. Abby's style of play is not a style that ages well in the NHL yet he signed him to a 7 year term. Also all of Abby's point increases were a direct correlation of who he was playing with. I like to call those sponge points because a grinder on an all-star line will simply absorb points from real producers, much like Kunitz off of Crosby. Holland not only extended a player 7 years knowing that was past the product's expiration date, he also paid up for sponge points which was largely exposed as soon as Abby no longer had hall of fame talent bouncing pucks off his stick. Abby got top 6 ice time simply because there was very little option in the depth chart to put someone with higher skill over him. That in and of itself shows how far the bar fell on Holland's watch. Abby never earned a place in the top 6 and he should have never been signed as a top 6. He never had the skill set, yet he got a top 6 contract with franchise term and that is why I did a happy dance when Holland was fired.

I do feel bad that Abby's legacy is not his fault, but unfortunately it is his legacy none the less

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Why do you guys continue to have the same arguments over and over and over and over again.

Whats next? The Legwand trade? Franzen over Hossa? I

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Why do you guys continue to have the same arguments over and over and over and over again.

Whats next? The Legwand trade? Franzen over Hossa? I
meh, it's the offseason. And for who knows how long. Buying out Abby was one of the few bright spots for this team.

And frankly I'd rather have the goalie debate of Stefan vs Hanlon, but not sure there's enough people here old enough to have that one. :laugh:
(the correct answer is Hanlon)

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
meh, it's the offseason. And for who knows how long. Buying out Abby was one of the few bright spots for this team.

And frankly I'd rather have the goalie debate of Stefan vs Hanlon, but not sure there's enough people here old enough to have that one. :laugh:

I remember Glen Hanlon, not the other guy though.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

They are both terrible head coaches, though Stefan did win a Cup as a goalie coach.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I just wish we would have explored trading him to the oilers. Hopkins - McDavid - Abdelkader

He should at least PTO I think all he needs is skilled linemates to increase his production like before. The problem with Abdelkader is they are no longer paring him with HOF talent.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I just wish we would have explored trading him to the oilers. Hopkins - McDavid - Abdelkader

He should at least PTO I think all he needs is skilled linemates to increase his production like before. The problem with Abdelkader is they are no longer paring him with HOF talent.
Lol, did you watch any games the past 2 years? He can't skate. He missed an empty netter. He could be paired with 2 McDavids and still fail.

Love how people who haven't watched any games keep coming on here and saying he's gonna get a PTO. FFS, dude makes McIlrath look like Apolo Ono.

Edit: And nobody has signed him even at league min, so there was absolutely no trade available.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Guys like him typically get PTO’s. If he wants one, I think he’ll get one.

I guess the big question is, what does he want to do? Scrape away in an attempt to make an NHL team and possibly play in the AHL? Or just retire. I’d say it’s 50-50.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Guys like him typically get PTO’s. If he wants one, I think he’ll get one.

I guess the big question is, what does he want to do? Scrape away in an attempt to make an NHL team and possibly play in the AHL? Or just retire. I’d say it’s 50-50.
Not this season, too many good unsigned UFAs.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Not this season, too many good unsigned UFAs.

Ya I know your thoughts, we literally had this conversation on page 14. You think he's washed up because you believe he has a ligament issue with his knee and that there is zero chance anyone give him a PTO, I believe that if he wants one 1/31 teams will give him a PTO. Lets see how it plays out,

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Ya I know your thoughts, we literally had this conversation on page 14. You think he's washed up because you believe he has a ligament issue with his knee and that there is zero chance anyone give him a PTO, I believe that if he wants one 1/31 teams will give him a PTO. Lets see how it plays out,
Let's place a wager then.

Loser has to change his username to ButtKraken for one season.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Let's place a wager then.

Loser has to change his username to ButtKraken for one season.

lol. The issue is I'm not saying he "will sign a PTO", I'm saying I think he will sign a PTO if he decides to look for one. My gut feeling tells me that he's going to just retire.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
lol. The issue is I'm not saying he "will sign a PTO", I'm saying I think he will sign a PTO if he decides to look for one. My gut feeling tells me that he's going to just retire.
My brain tells me he's gonna retire, that's what I've been saying all along. He literally can't skate, it hurts my knees watching him.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
My brain tells me he's gonna retire, that's what I've been saying all along. He literally can't skate, it hurts my knees watching him.

I know.....I'm 50/50, I go back and forth. Remember, these are professional athletes who are driven to an extreme degree. There have been countless players over the years that hung on too long.

We'll see what happens.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I know.....I'm 50/50, I go back and forth. Remember, these are professional athletes who are driven to an extreme degree. There have been countless players over the years that hung on too long.

We'll see what happens.
The 1/31 odds are against Gniwder, but nobody considers that Abby may wanna just retire (& not necessarily announce it or make it official), he also may wanna take the season off (family/heal/Covid) etc. So if he wants to play & we don't get notification of an official PTO Gniwder changes his user name to the ButtCracker, as he proposed. Lastly, Abby could turn down a PTO & that offer may not even make it to the news, since both are so insignifant to the NHL. Odds are stacked against Gniwder in all 4 scenarios.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The 1/31 odds are against Gniwder, but nobody considers that Abby may wanna just retire (& not necessarily announce it or make it official), he also may wanna take the season off (family/heal/Covid) etc. So if he wants to play & we don't get notification of an official PTO Gniwder changes his user name to the ButtCracker, as he proposed. Lastly, Abby could turn down a PTO & that offer may not even make it to the news, since both are so insignifant to the NHL. Odds are stacked against Gniwder in all 4 scenarios.
I think you got the bet backwards there buddy. I win if he doesn't get a PTO. I am betting against Abby. He's done.

I will bet against anyone willing to take my offer.

Edit: Also, it's ButtKRAKEN, in reference to the new NHL team

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I think you got the bet backwards there buddy. I win if he doesn't get a PTO. I am betting against Abby. He's done.

I will bet against anyone willing to take my offer.

Edit: Also, it's ButtKRAKEN, in reference to the new NHL team

I think he means the odds are against you in the sense that all it takes is 1 out of 31 teams to offer him a PTO opposed to if we were debating if a specific team would offer him one. Though technically its 30 as Detroit can't offer him a PTO even if they wanted to. Remember to, Edmonton counts lol.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think he means the odds are against you in the sense that all it takes is 1 out of 31 teams to offer him a PTO opposed to if we were debating if a specific team would offer him one. Though technically its 30 as Detroit can't offer him a PTO even if they wanted to. Remember to, Edmonton counts lol.
Well if the odds are against me.... then take the bet... anybody?

Edmonton is saving their money for Helm and LGD, lol.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Exactly.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Well if the odds are against me.... then take the bet... anybody?

Edmonton is saving their money for Helm and LGD, lol.

I’d take the bet, but when my stance is that Abby would get a PTO if he CHOOSES to play then if Abby doesn’t get one it makes it impossible to know if Abby took the year off, retired, or wasn’t offered anything.

If the bet is simply, WILL Abby sign a PTO, then I agree he most likely won’t play because I think the chances of retirement or a year off are high.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think he will announce his retirement sometime in early-ish 2021. Players know when they are done for the most part, and I don't think even he thinks he was what he used to be. Also, he had exactly 0% chance of being named captain, unless the Wings lowered their standards for such. Based on how they haven't named a Captain since Zetterberg was finished tells me their standards are higher than other teams. I personally don't think you need to wait for HOF or all star levels as your current captain as many teams have for many years had captains that were lesser players and it was fine, and we too used to have regular players as Captains rather than HOF or all star level guys and are simply spoiled in this aspect. That said, Abby wouldn't have been the one picked regardless. Just being from Michigan doesn't alone put you in the captains chair so to speak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->