Abbotsford Heat relocating to Glens Falls, NY

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
good question. this thread is way of tract. went to the comets game last night, flames people(craig conroy) was in house and introduced to the fans mid game. also noticed a lot of black paint going on walls in the aud. also there is a noticable lack of blue and green items in the souvaniour shop. all of which is pointing toward the flames being in utica next season.

not unless Vancouver sells the Comets, go, they signed a lease for 5 years, wouldn't the Canucks have to pay Esche to leave Utica? I wonder if there's a provision stating the Canucks cannot leave without finding a replacement, that's the way it's been here in Portland ever since hockey arrived here in 1977, including the Devils stint there after leaving here, It's doubtful the Flames would sell the franchise they've owned since 1993, if that deal fell apart last year, and Abbotsford doesn't like the terms they signed 5 years ago, what makes Vancouver any less of a affiliate, it just doesn't make sense for Utica to have their identity reestablished, to change color schematics after 1 season, imho, Utica's not yet reestablished itself as a market after its past hockey history, and if Andrews was indeed spotted in GF AS has been stated, that lends credence to the Flames being bought out of Abbotsford, and heading to GF. Utica wasn't the destination anyway, but VAN had to convince St. Louis to sell their affiliate.

I would likely see the Flames heading toward GF, to start a rivalry between ADK and Utica, much the same as Albany and ADK did or ROC/Syr/Binghamton do in the Western tier.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
That would be the best scenario. I doubt a team could survive out west without the deal abbotsford gave the flames. Weird thing is some people seem to think the flames are in control, but others say the flames want out of abbotsford and the city won't let them go. I don't think teams enjoy that trip out west, I hope glens falls comes up with something.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Glens Falls Rumors

At the game tonight most of the talk/gossip in the beer lines was that Dave Andrews would be in attendance at the April 13th game to make an announcement. I just checked my tickets and that is against the Utica Comets.

This could be nothing more than a rumor, but putting all the pieces laid out here together, who knows what he'll say. Could also be the beer man wants his regulars there that night. But I did hear it from four different people so I figured it was worth mentioning.

Everyone was happy to see Union win also.

Thunder God

Mar 12, 2007
ThunderDome
At the game tonight most of the talk/gossip in the beer lines was that Dave Andrews would be in attendance at the April 13th game to make an announcement. I just checked my tickets and that is against the Utica Comets.

This could be nothing more than a rumor, but putting all the pieces laid out here together, who knows what he'll say. Could also be the beer man wants his regulars there that night. But I did hear it from four different people so I figured it was worth mentioning.

Everyone was happy to see Union win also.[/QUOTE

I want to know who told you that information! :handclap:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

Everyone was happy to see Union win also.

No anouncments about team movements will be made untill the season is over and the teams involved are at least eliminated from the calder cup playoffs. when the comets were introduced last summer, i dont think and ahl reps were present.......

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
No anouncments about team movements will be made untill the season is over and the teams involved are at least eliminated from the calder cup playoffs. when the comets were introduced last summer, i dont think and ahl reps were present.......

To add to this point nothing is announced until there is an AHL board of Governors meeting and vote approving any team location movements. Last year it was thought that Vancouver would announce where their AHL team would be located at the May BoG meeting. This meeting was the deadline for submitting locations to be voted on. Instead Vancouver was granted a 30 day extension and the Comets were announced a day or two after the June AHL BoG meeting.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The ruling on unionizing will be in the appeals process for several years at least. even if they finally decide it's a legal move, then someone has to actually form a union, determine the purpose, and bargain things out. Kids who haven't yet seen their first day of middle school will likely be out of college before it's all said and done.

I thought this was only for Football? The guy who brought it to the table claims this is for "protection" and medical expense that may exist.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
To add to this point nothing is announced until there is an AHL board of Governors meeting and vote approving any team location movements. Last year it was thought that Vancouver would announce where their AHL team would be located at the May BoG meeting. This meeting was the deadline for submitting locations to be voted on. Instead Vancouver was granted a 30 day extension and the Comets were announced a day or two after the June AHL BoG meeting.
It will be interesting. I think the canucks are happy with utica. But the canucks owner has been trying to purchase the abbotsford arena for sometime now. I do not know how this will play out, but I was told over the weekend that the flames prefer to be in utica. Could go either way in my book. I will root for whomever is here.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Looks like Abbotsford's last home game is that day (4:00 Eastern). Right now they're in the playoffs but who knows. Adirondack will have one more that Friday, and Utica three after that (if you guys even fit into the equation).

I agree that it is strange timing and less than likely. But there were a lot of people saying it, enough to make it worth mentioning.

http://poststar.com/sports/hockey-hopes-remain/article_c955e89a-b7b6-11e3-82ab-0019bb2963f4.html

Post*Star seems to agree with a wait. Interesting points about the travel savings and termination fees.

Canine64

Apr 13, 2014
So much for the Commish coming to GF for a "big" announcement. The nicest day of the year still saw 3400 in attendance, many believing the internet/beer line lie that was spread for the past several weeks. Such sheep.

[MOD EDIT]

Last edited by a moderator:

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 2m
The city of Abbotsford and the @abbotsfordheat have called a press conference for tomorrow morning with rumors the team is moving to NY

https://twitter.com/News1130Sports/status/455838200427458560

Dan Kinvig @DanKinvig
City of #Abbotsford announces press conference @AESCEvents for tomorrow at 10 a.m. Speakers include @MayorBanman & @NHLFlames CEO Ken King.

Dan Kinvig @DanKinvig
Purpose of the presser is to "introduce a comprehensive new strategic direction" for the facility.

https://twitter.com/DanKinvig

That last tweet shows to me that the Heat are gone. The agreement is dead. Probably look to get a WHL franchise in town, which could draw from Langley to Chilliwack. I'd certainly go to plenty. Always loved the WHL brand.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 2m
The city of Abbotsford and the @abbotsfordheat have called a press conference for tomorrow morning with rumors the team is moving to NY

https://twitter.com/News1130Sports/status/455838200427458560

Dan Kinvig @DanKinvig
City of #Abbotsford announces press conference @AESCEvents for tomorrow at 10 a.m. Speakers include @MayorBanman & @NHLFlames CEO Ken King.

Dan Kinvig @DanKinvig
Purpose of the presser is to "introduce a comprehensive new strategic direction" for the facility.

https://twitter.com/DanKinvig

That last tweet shows to me that the Heat are gone. The agreement is dead. Probably look to get a WHL franchise in town, which could draw from Langley to Chilliwack. I'd certainly go to plenty. Always loved the WHL brand.

i totally agree with your assesment that the heat are going to glens falls and the WHL is going in to abbotsford. that is what i have been hearing for sometime.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
No chance the Canucks move the Comets to Abbotsford? Seems logical to do so...

Tackla

Jul 2, 2013
I'm just wondering how the Abbotsford Heat stayed in business for so long anyway. The travel costs must've been enormous for Calgary.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
No chance the Canucks move the Comets to Abbotsford? Seems logical to do so...

No chance. Twitter accounts state the the city of abbotsford has decided to go in a new(not ahl) direction.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Also enormous for teams going in. hope it ends tomorrow.

Not at all.....part of the conditions from the AHL from the very beginning was that they had to pay ALL expenses for the teams cooming in to play them. That was set up from day 1 and Andrews stuck to it....in order to get a franchise there they were required to pay the travel cost of all visiting teams since they were an outpost.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Not at all.....part of the conditions from the AHL from the very beginning was that they had to pay ALL expenses for the teams cooming in to play them. That was set up from day 1 and Andrews stuck to it....in order to get a franchise there they were required to pay the travel cost of all visiting teams since they were an outpost.

Actually even with that travel expenses being paid by abbotsford, I doubt the ahl board of governors approves anyone going into abbotsford without another city or two nearby. It was a failed experiment. Ahl teams hated that trip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad