Abbotsford Canucks Thread | Down on the Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It will be interesting to see if they can actually make Abbotsford a good development team sooner rather than later (or at all).

Utica sounded like a great and supportive hockey atmosphere, but the pipeline was not flowing. I'm sure alot of the blame is on the Canucks, but either way, the whole thing needed a shock to the system.

My small hope is that being closer to the main club will be a positive change and maybe it'll be slightly easier to bring over some of our European prospects so we can at least test them before we lose them. It doesn't look like Benning/Johnson are doing their part for that yet unfortunately.
It's similiar to how the WWE treated Smoky Mountain Wrestling. I realize people not fans of "Pro Wrestling" wouldn't understand the comparison.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I think as long as the Canucks marketing and PR team does their job, Abbotsford will work whether they are a Calder Cup contending team or not.

There is a huge population in the area, even extending to Surrey and Chilliwack, both are within reasonable driving time due to the highway.

Entertainment night life would be enough to keep fans coming in. Might not even require majority of season ticket holders to keep the arena filled.

As our core is getting set, if the management group can keep bringing in talent, we could migrate to a Detroit model when they gave the prospects ample time in AHL to develop.
Which would keep people coming in to see future Canucks.

I don't like FAQ as Canucks owner with his meddling, but his family must be a good business runner to be able to make enough to buy the Canucks.

So I'm confident that the ownership group will have access to enough money making focused talent to make Abbotsford work to its potential.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This Abbotsford team is looking stacked......lots of veteran players who've been pretty consistent AHL performers....and a couple like of guys like Petan and Hunt who're legitimate stars at this level. Utica Comet fans can only look on in envy, because this looks to be a far better team than any of the squads they iced in the AHL North Division.

I think attendance might actually be quite good.....the ticket prices, for what is likely the second-best pro hockey league in world, are a steal. And the Abbotsford Entertainment Center is just a three minute jog off Highway One at the third Abbotsford exit.....driving distance from Surrey and Langley will barely be 30 minutes, less than half the time it takes to get downtown for a Canucks game if you live in the 'burbs.

It's actually a nice building, with skyboxes and good sightlines and a capacity of 8,000. A little light on concessions and washrooms though if attendance gets past 6,000 or so.

Really hope AHL hockey finally succeeds in Abbotsford, although the travel schedule will be pretty brutal and will definitely cut into practice time. But the fact that so many B.C. pro hockey players want to come back home to play is a huge plus.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wish transit out to the arena was better for people from Vancouver heading out the other way. I'd like to avoid having to take an Uber for one or both legs of the journey but it's hard to imagine getting out to a game without at least catching a ride back home.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I wish transit out to the arena was better for people from Vancouver heading out the other way. I'd like to avoid having to take an Uber for one or both legs of the journey but it's hard to imagine getting out to a game without at least catching a ride back home.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the team moves to the planned Surrey Central arena in a few years. Will be right on the Expo Line and the focal point of a large redeveloping urban center.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the team moves to the planned Surrey Central arena in a few years. Will be right on the Expo Line and the focal point of a large redeveloping urban center.

I doubt it.

Abbotsford is located in between suburbs, it's a perfect spot for night out for many folks.

I think Surrey arena is going to look at a WHL team IMO.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I doubt it.

Abbotsford is located in between suburbs, it's a perfect spot for night out for many folks.

I think Surrey arena is going to look at a WHL team IMO.

Surrey is a perfect spot for a night out for like ~twice as many folks. Probably more than that given the arena would be Skytrain accessible.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
This is the same person that criticized the hockey world for criticizing Marc Bergervin after he picked that Swedes player

“pls sign my client I want money”

Reactions: Red

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Surrey is a perfect spot for a night out for like ~twice as many folks. Probably more than that given the arena would be Skytrain accessible.

Abbotsford has its own airport, which might help travels for the AHL team more.

I honestly think Abbotsford suits the Canucks long term better because it helps build more grass roots connection out there.

You can only sell so many tickets for NHL games, but fans can buy merchandise from the Canucks if they can get connected to the farm team too.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
It's similiar to how the WWE treated Smoky Mountain Wrestling. I realize people not fans of "Pro Wrestling" wouldn't understand the comparison.

The problem with this analogy is that the guy with outdated dinosaur thinking is in charge of the main roster, not the developmental one. (Cornette/Benning)

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
In my opinion, the Canucks will be moving to Surrey within 20 years. Rogers Arena will be big real estate bucks for whoever owns it then, Vancouver is increasingly becoming a boutique city, and the working class fanbase (aka the ones that fill the seats night after night) is increasingly moving to Surrey, Delta, Langley, Abbotsford, etc. Surrey is soon to become maybe THE transit hub in the Lower Mainland (Metro Surrey, not Metro Vancouver).

The Canucks are not long for Vancouver proper in my opinion.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Surrey is definitely not the best place to house a hockey team. There is a lot of crime near Surrey Centre that it would be a bad look for prospective players to play there games there, and it would be a really unsafe environment for fans. I would say Cloverdale (yes it is technically Surrey) or Langley would be the ideal area for our farm team.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Abbotsford is 12-13 years removed from being the murder capital of Canada so yeah, it's a safe place for the farm team to be, you might say.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Surrey is definitely not the best place to house a hockey team. There is a lot of crime near Surrey Centre that it would be a bad look for prospective players to play there games there, and it would be a really unsafe environment for fans. I would say Cloverdale (yes it is technically Surrey) or Langley would be the ideal area for our farm team.
Surrey Centre is not that bad anymore. It hasn't been for over 5 years now. Give it another 10 or 15 and it will be the home of the Canucks.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Hoo boy do I have something awful to tell you about the neighbourhood directly adjacent Rogers Arena.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
So Benning's skill as a scout comes to the forefront, the guru has hardly any draft picks in Abby

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I’m totally here for the Gadjovich/Martin bromance (broinlawmance?) in Abbotsford this year.

Also - Lukosevicius was an invite at a Canucks’ prospect development camp a few years ago, if I remember right. Nice to see more BC talent flocking to the Abbotsford Canucks (even if he is likely a depth player / ECHL guy).

Reactions: Canuckle1970

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is the same person that criticized the hockey world for criticizing Marc Bergervin after he picked that Swedes player

“pls sign my client I want money”

It's looking like Jake might be scuppered for the coming season. He's still languishing on the UFA list....under normal circumstances, some team would have taken a flyer on him by now. High first round picks always seem to get chance after chance in this league.

So his lawyer can issue all the pleas he wants, but the reality is until his legal troubles are resolved, I'm not sure any team will roll the dice on him. The firestorm around the Habs drafting Logan Mailloux probably didn't help his cause either.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Hoo boy do I have something awful to tell you about the neighbourhood directly adjacent Rogers Arena.

its not nearly as intimating as Surrey City Centre at night. Surrey city centre is dark, with very little in the way of shops, stores or anything night time activity, and lots of dark allys. There is a reason why they is a stereotype called Surrey Jacks and that area is known for ODs and muggings. The Sketchy area of downtown (Water street/Hastings/China town) is still a fair distance away from the area and a lot of the homeless people avoid that area all together because it is stationed near Yaletown and the entertainment district of Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad