Abbotsford Canucks Thread | Down on the Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Anyone ready for a stab at the Abbotsford lineup? ;)

Gadjovich - Petan - Bailey
Klimovich - Dries - Rempal
Focht - Stevens - Lockwood
???? - Wouters - ????

Burroughs - Juolevi
Woo - Brisebois
Stephens - ????

DiPietro
????
Well, filling in a couple of the blanks, Brady Keeper is a right shot d-man they just signed; and one of either Rathbone or Juolevi will be in Abbotsford. There simply isn't room for both on the Canucks.

And of course the backup goalie to Mikey DiPietro will be Arturs Silovs.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Wondering, given the tightness to the cap and closeness of Abbotsford, if the Canucks go with one extra forward and one extra d-man. Easily adds Hunt, Keeper, Guiseppe and Dowling to the above lineup. AHL vet restriction rules will likely come into play. Also see Focht at center. Silovs likely other goalie.

Lot these guys are very close to home so that would an attraction. Probably could make an excellent minor League team build around fringe NHL players from the Lower Mainland. Include Vancouver Island and you might have a juggernaut.

Thought Sautner was coming back??? Also wonder about status of Arseneau

Too bad about Graovac.

Reactions: alternate

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'd like to see Arseneau brought back for a 4th line role, man that guy is a human wrecking ball lol, would become a fan fav in Abby just like he was in Utica.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Wondering, given the tightness to the cap and closeness of Abbotsford, if the Canucks go with one extra forward and one extra d-man. Easily adds Hunt, Keeper, Guiseppe and Dowling to the above lineup. AHL vet restriction rules will likely come into play. Also see Focht at center. Silovs likely other goalie.

Lot these guys are very close to home so that would an attraction. Probably could make an excellent minor League team build around fringe NHL players from the Lower Mainland. Include Vancouver Island and you might have a juggernaut.

Thought Sautner was coming back??? Also wonder about status of Arseneau

Too bad about Graovac.

Isn’t it the other way around? The Canucks could carry less players given the proximity of the farm team.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Isn’t it the other way around? The Canucks could carry less players given the proximity of the farm team.

That's what he said. 22 man roster.

Might not do it for long road trips, but when both teams are at home, makes sense to save every cap dollar you can considering a player can be reassigned and still sleep in your own bed.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's what he said. 22 man roster.

Might not do it for long road trips, but when both teams are at home, makes sense to save every cap dollar you can considering a player can be reassigned and still sleep in your own bed.

Ah ok. Sorry was confused.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
I like the way this team is shaping up for this season. I guess I am one of the few who doesn't really care why it was not done in previous years. I hope there will be a lot of team coverage by the local media outlets.

Reactions: alternate

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I mean, this isn’t a 13 y/o who only takes a shower so he doesn’t get mocked for having BO.

This is a pro sports organization worth hundreds of millions of dollars that should be aiming for excellence at every level.
Wth
I take shower every day since i could remember

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Juolevi is waiver eligible this season. I can't see the Canucks waiving him to send to Abbotsford.

I'd like to see the Canucks sign a veteran number 4 goalie. Let DiPietro spend the full season in Abbotsford and have a vet to call up to sit on the bench in case of injuries. Silovs needs to play games as well, either back in the OHL or the ECHL.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Well, filling in a couple of the blanks, Brady Keeper is a right shot d-man they just signed; and one of either Rathbone or Juolevi will be in Abbotsford. There simply isn't room for both on the Canucks.

And of course the backup goalie to Mikey DiPietro will be Arturs Silovs.

Crap, can’t believe I forgot Silovs!

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
They just signed more guys for Abbotsford in one day than they signed for Utica in 7 years. Absolutely bizarre.

I guess they probably had to because there will basically be zero prospects on the farm this year. But that didn’t stop them from ignoring Utica in prior years.

Burke talked about moving the team (AHL) to Toronto when he was with the Leafs and he posited (right word?) that more players are willing to sign simply because if they get called up they don't have to stay in a hotel, they can just stay wherever they already stay.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Juolevi is waiver eligible this season. I can't see the Canucks waiving him to send to Abbotsford.

I'd like to see the Canucks sign a veteran number 4 goalie. Let DiPietro spend the full season in Abbotsford and have a vet to call up to sit on the bench in case of injuries. Silovs needs to play games as well, either back in the OHL or the ECHL.

So, does Juolevi stay up and Rathbone get sent down?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
So, does Juolevi stay up and Rathbone get sent down?
I think both stay up, but there's a small chance Rathbone goes to Abbotsford. Juolevi won't be waived and Rathbone looked more deserving of a NHL spot last season.

I see them swapping between third pairing LD and 7th defenceman this season.

If Juolevi somehow looks heads and shoulders above Rathbone then Rathbone could be sent to Abbotsford instead of being a healthy scratch on the Canucks. But I don't see that happening.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I think both stay up, but there's a small chance Rathbone goes to Abbotsford. Juolevi won't be waived and Rathbone looked more deserving of a NHL spot last season.

I see them swapping between third pairing LD and 7th defenceman this season.

If Juolevi somehow looks heads and shoulders above Rathbone then Rathbone could be sent to Abbotsford instead of being a healthy scratch on the Canucks. But I don't see that happening.

This situation is going to be interesting to follow.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
might be a stretch, but this could be an advantage of keeping the name as the Canucks. Local kids didn't grow up wanting to play for the Aviators.

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
The lineup might not be as flexible if veteran status makes thing difficult. Seems like the local factor is main reason a lot of these signings are taking place. Should be an interesting team to watch.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The lineup might not be as flexible if veteran status makes thing difficult. Seems like the local factor is main reason a lot of these signings are taking place. Should be an interesting team to watch.
Any skater with more than 320 career games in the AHL, NHL and high-level European leagues qualifies as a veteran. Someone should make a spreadsheet. I looked up a few, Brady Keeper is exempt, Nic Petan surprisingly still is too Brad Hunt is not, and that's as far as I got.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
might be a stretch, but this could be an advantage of keeping the name as the Canucks. Local kids didn't grow up wanting to play for the Aviators.

I think it's just sleeker and more streamlined, actually makes the connection to the average fan, it's better in pretty much every way I could imagine.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Any skater with more than 320 career games in the AHL, NHL and high-level European leagues qualifies as a veteran. Someone should make a spreadsheet. I looked up a few, Brady Keeper is exempt, Nic Petan surprisingly still is too Brad Hunt is not, and that's as far as I got.

This post makes me say something I never thought I'd say: I miss @Bad Goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad