Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Saw the rumors that the Canucks would like to sign Ty Ronning for the farm. I think that’s a brilliant idea. He’s a solid AHL player, and being a former Vancouver Giant and his Dad being a Canuck legend, that would be both a good PR move and a move for the team.
Excellent! I hope that happens. Hope Benning does a good job with the NHL/AHL tweeners in free agency too.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I wonder how Justin Bailey is doing? Didn't he suffer a bad injury when he was called up to the Canucks - was it back in 2019? I think he had decent wheels, unless I'm mistaking him for another guy. He's only in his mid-twenties.

Reactions: Lindgren

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
wow an actual center, what a concept.

A center/LW according to EliteProspects.
The guy wasn't drafted. He spent an extra year in Jrs. He is a rookie. Has had very poor numbers for a jr who is going to be a good pro.
Focht came in from Jrs after basically a PPG in his last 2 jr seasons. Was actually a 5th rd selection of the Canucks. He was basically a 4th line center, but in a watered down 2021 AHL season he made it to the 3rd line center.
He will be a much better player for the Abby Canucks.

This is exactly the same kind of preseason signings that Johnson did every season he was in Utica. He signed guys who would end up stashed in the ECHL for emergency call-ups, who turn out to be terrible when they did get that call.

With the dearth of actual AHL talent the Canucks have to put back in the AHL off last year's short roster, Johnson and his boss are going to have to do some heavy lifting to bring this team up to a serious competitive level. With the work Benning is currently involved with like every other year, by the time he gets around to the AHL team the best options will be gone. Instead of the Sam Anas, Cal O'Reilly, and even Carter Camper types in nthe middle, you'll end up with the Cam Darcy and John Stevens ilk.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Canucks going out, and Supporting Abby big time makes me incredibly happy.
Jim did not forget this time around, Gonna be a fun team to watch

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i took flack for supporting this move and saying that local guys will love the opportunity. Safe to say this is starting out well.

Sedins and Johnson will be working together on this as well.
So happy for local talent and organization and the city of Abbotsford

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
With the dearth of actual AHL talent the Canucks have to put back in the AHL off last year's short roster, Johnson and his boss are going to have to do some heavy lifting to bring this team up to a serious competitive level. .

so what do you think of the lifting?

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
With the entire organization within a short drive, I can see lots of Alumni events during the year in Abbotsford as well.

This should work long term, it didn't work with the Heat because it was a Flames farm team.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Looks like a great start to the team. Nice that local pros can play close to home. Be great to get more eyes on the team as well. Appreciate the Utica posters but will like a nhl Canuck fan viewpoint.

Reactions: sting101

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I mean it's awesome they care about the farm team now but where was this effort for Utica?

I get it's a first year team so they want to make a good impression but Utica struggled for years with getting quality veterans. Bit annoying.

Reactions: MS and vanuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Bad goalie is going to have a laugh when he sees the team actually signing AHLers.

lol should've read the posts first....he is.

Reactions: vanuck

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I mean it's awesome they care about the farm team now but where was this effort for Utica?

I get it's a first year team so they want to make a good impression but Utica struggled for years with getting quality veterans. Bit annoying.
With the team in Abbotsford it will be under a magnifying glass. That is the difference.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It's likely due to the agreement with Esche and his group who operates the stadium. Usually that involves a combination of guaranteed revenues and gate splits. Financially speaking, the Canucks are now potentially getting a lot more cents per dollar of investment than they did in Utica.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Bad goalie is going to have a laugh when he sees the team actually signing AHLers.

lol should've read the posts first....he is.

I wish BG was around to give us the expected lineup for Abby like he used to do for Utica.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wish BG was around to give us the expected lineup for Abby like he used to do for Utica.

I wonder if there's an older gentleman out in Mission or Abby who loves AHL hockey but doesn't follow the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad