Abbotsford Canucks Thread | Down on the Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It's looking like Jake might be scuppered for the coming season. He's still languishing on the UFA list....under normal circumstances, some team would have taken a flyer on him by now. High first round picks always seem to get chance after chance in this league.

So his lawyer can issue all the pleas he wants, but the reality is until his legal troubles are resolved, I'm not sure any team will roll the dice on him. The firestorm around the Habs drafting Logan Mailloux probably didn't help his cause either.
The fact he isn’t an NHL player may have something to do w it

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
its not nearly as intimating as Surrey City Centre at night. Surrey city centre is dark, with very little in the way of shops, stores or anything night time activity, and lots of dark allys. There is a reason why they is a stereotype called Surrey Jacks and that area is known for ODs and muggings. The Sketchy area of downtown (Water street/Hastings/China town) is still a fair distance away from the area and a lot of the homeless people avoid that area all together because it is stationed near Yaletown and the entertainment district of Downtown

Lol

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It's been rumored for a while, but Sautner coming back on an AHL deal. He'd be another potential "C" candidate.

EDIT:

My latest roster projection (again, I'm assuming Hunt, Keeper, Dowling and MacEwen stay up with the big club):

Gadjovich - Petan - Bailey
Klimovich - Dries - Rempal
Focht - Stevens - Lockwood
Arseneau - Wouters - Plasek

Extra/ECHL: Lukosevicius

Burroughs - Juolevi
Woo - Bowey
Brisebois - Sautner

Extra/ECHL: Stephens

DiPietro
Martin

ECHL: Silovs

Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

It's been rumored for a while, but Sautner coming back on an AHL deal. He'd be another potential "C" candidate.

EDIT:

My latest roster projection (again, I'm assuming Hunt, Keeper, Dowling and MacEwen stay up with the big club):

Burroughs - Juolevi
Woo - Bowey
Brisebois - Sautner

DiPietro
Martin

Really like this lineup....blueline looking particularly solid, with Woo really the only semi-rookie in the group. An instantly serious competitor in the AHL's Western Conference imo.

I agree that MacEwen probably sticks with the big club, but not sure there's enough room for the other guys. I think the Canucks end up swapping Hunt for Juolevi up top, because the latter would have to clear waivers to get to the NHL.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

EDIT:

Burroughs - Juolevi
Woo - Bowey
Brisebois - Sautner

DiPietro
Martin

So, Hunt, Keeper, and Schenn all stay up? Does the math work? (and the extra forwards: Dowling, MacEwen, Di Giuseppe?)

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
You may be right - 1 or 2 of each of those forwards and defenders likely heads down to Abby.

Whatever happens, the back end looks strong. But however the lineup shakes out, one of the main goals of the club should be to develop Jett Woo. None of the others has much upside. They should be pairing him with the partner that makes the most sense for him to build his game, and he should get lots of ice-time.

On a different topic, does anyone know if Bailey has ever killed penalties?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Ryan Johnson staying busy. Love the fact they're bringing a Vancouver Giants Captain into the fold. EDIT: Just realized he wasn't a captain, but an alternate. Still, though. Solid G-Men player staying in the lower mainland.

Neilsen is a real puck hound. Hard working player. Not sure if he will succeed at the AHL level but should definitely bring some energy.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
The Abbotsford picture is starting to look more and more interesting. It sucks that we don't really have much for developing youth down there, but the signings of local boys that want to be here gives me hope for the team identity, and them forging a kind of long-term AHL culture.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A smart decision by the Canucks to sign minor league pros with a history of playing amateur hockey on the Lower Mainland.

For most of them, they've been hockey nomads throughout N.A. ever since playing minor hockey or WHL hockey in B.C. and then getting drafted or signed. While most of them probably aren't really NHL prospects any more, they're still very good pro hockey players at the AHL level. And from all reports, they're thrilled to be coming home to play pro hockey.

I think the Abbotsford Canucks will soon have their own unique fan following and the local players on the team will soon be drawing their own set of relatives, fans and supporters to follow this team.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
A smart decision by the Canucks to sign minor league pros with a history of playing amateur hockey on the Lower Mainland.

For most of them, they've been hockey nomads throughout N.A. ever since playing minor hockey or WHL hockey in B.C. and then getting drafted or signed. While most of them probably aren't really NHL prospects any more, they're still very good pro hockey players at the AHL level. And from all reports, they're thrilled to be coming home to play pro hockey.

I think the Abbotsford Canucks will soon have their own unique fan following and the local players on the team will soon be drawing their own set of relatives, fans and supporters to follow this team.

100%. And the injection of local talent can't really be overstated in terms of helping that. A lot of these guys have friends, families and contacts in BC who are going to throw their support whole heartedly into the team. That and the fact that there's already a large Canucks fanbase in the area (as opposed to when it was the Heat/Flames), and I think this should be a pretty successful venture for the franchise.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So, Hunt, Keeper, and Schenn all stay up? Does the math work? (and the extra forwards: Dowling, MacEwen, Di Giuseppe?)

You may be right - 1 or 2 of each of those forwards and defenders likely heads down to Abby.

I assume the Canucks will carry 8 Dmen. Since I think Rathbone is ready for the NHL and I don't want to lose Juolevi, the roster should be: OEL, Hughes, Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, Rathbone, Juolevi, Schenn. I can't see Schenn being sent down as he's the most likely (among the "depth Dmen") to be picked up on waivers apart from Juolevi.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I assume the Canucks will carry 8 Dmen. Since I think Rathbone is ready for the NHL and I don't want to lose Juolevi, the roster should be: OEL, Hughes, Myers, Hamonic, Poolman, Rathbone, Juolevi, Schenn. I can't see Schenn being sent down as he's the most likely (among the "depth Dmen") to be picked up on waivers apart from Juolevi.

Schenn is going to be the No. 7, IMO. I think the battle for No. 8 will be between Juolevi and Hunt in particular, with Keeper having a shot as well. Hunt is a ridiculously popular guy among teammates and coaches, so it wouldn't surprise me if he edges out Juolevi for that last spot. All three of them (Juolevi, Hunt, Keeper) are waiver eligible if I'm not mistaken.

On the forward side, the battle for the 13th F will sure be interesting. Dowling has versatility as a guy who can play center, Di Giuseppe brings a really physical/in your face brand which would seem to directly compete with MacEwen (who is the guy I would keep, but seems to be in Green's doghouse), and then there's Highmore in that mix too. He had a good showing as the 2020 season wound down, but he'll be in tough with these guys for the spot. And lastly - does Nic Petan merit consideration as a skilled guy to slide in on scoring lines if someone gets hurt? He's a bonafide star at the AHL level, but more of a stop-gap solution in the bigs.

Lots of interesting moving parts heading into camp.

Reactions: Lindgren

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Schenn is going to be the No. 7, IMO. I think the battle for No. 8 will be between Juolevi and Hunt in particular, with Keeper having a shot as well. Hunt is a ridiculously popular guy among teammates and coaches, so it wouldn't surprise me if he edges out Juolevi for that last spot. All three of them (Juolevi, Hunt, Keeper) are waiver eligible if I'm not mistaken.

On the forward side, the battle for the 13th F will sure be interesting. Dowling has versatility as a guy who can play center, Di Giuseppe brings a really physical/in your face brand which would seem to directly compete with MacEwen (who is the guy I would keep, but seems to be in Green's doghouse), and then there's Highmore in that mix too. He had a good showing as the 2020 season wound down, but he'll be in tough with these guys for the spot. And lastly - does Nic Petan merit consideration as a skilled guy to slide in on scoring lines if someone gets hurt? He's a bonafide star at the AHL level, but more of a stop-gap solution in the bigs.

Lots of interesting moving parts heading into camp.

I'm in favour of keeping Juolevi over Hunt. Hunt is going to be 33 and it's not like he is good defensively. Only thing he has over Juolevi is more NHL experience and a better point shot.

As for the forward group, I hope MacEwen is given a chance. I do think Highmore has the inside track at earning a spot. I don't know much about Dowling but I could see Di Giuseppe earning a spot. He gives me Jack Skille vibes. Petan, I think is just too small and slow to make it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Although it won't be nearly as momentous an occasion--the Abbotsford Canucks, if they stay in the town, will be win the Calder Cup long before the parent Canucks win the Stanley Cup.

Reactions: wetcoast

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Although it won't be nearly as momentous an occasion--the Abbotsford Canucks, if they stay in the town, will be win the Calder Cup long before the parent Canucks win the Stanley Cup.

It is easier. A team can easily buy a Calder Cup contender.

Lackhalak

May 26, 2017
My guess at the defensive depth chart

Left side
Hughes
OEL
Rathbone
Joulevi
Hunt
Briesbois
Stephens
(Sautner)

Right side
Myers
Hamonic
Poolman
Schenn
Bowey
Keeper
Woo
Burroughs

Top 4 make it on both sides for 8

Reactions: alternate

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Former captain of the Giants and caps draft pick. Looked promising at one point but was disappointed with his progress in the dub. Tough player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad