Post-Game Talk: Abbotsford Canucks | Def. in Round 2

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
So what do people think of Ryan Johnson now? He was always lauded by people in the organization before and after the regime change but he was vilified by Utica fans because they thought he was incompetent. Maybe he was stretched too thin with too many responsibilities in Utica?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So what do people think of Ryan Johnson now? He was always lauded by people in the organization before and after the regime change but he was vilified by Utica fans because they thought he was incompetent. Maybe he was stretched too thin with too many responsibilities in Utica?

I was thinking about this topic a few days ago. I find he’s still a hard guy to have an opinion on. I argued, when he wasn’t fired during the house cleaning, that he may be bad at his job but we don’t have enough information to actually know. Prior to this season, it seemed the entire management team for our minor league development was Johnson and Higgins. They’ve more than doubled that group and brought on an excellent coach.

Johnson still may ultimately prove to be just a very good middle-manager but he’s been a positive contributor this season.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I feel like Johnson was asked to make chicken salad out of chicken shit in Utica. Benning and Aquilini didn’t really seem to give a good God damn about what went on down there, but Johnson and the crew on the ground in Utica seemed to always cobble together some ATOs / PTOs who came in and played well enough to keep the team afloat.

Obviously Abbotsford has a whole lot more going for it given the proximity to the big club, the involvement of the Twins, and Benning being let go and replaced with a competent management group, but I think Johnson (along with everyone working with the Abbotsford Canucks, Jeremy Colliton in particular) has done a pretty nice job.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hard to find a young player on the Abbotsford Canucks who didn't take a big step forward this season.

The best of the lot was probably Silovs.....but props to the likes of Bains, Karlsson, Klimovich, Rathbone and Nielson. And next season, guys like McDonough, McWard, Johannson, Sasson and possible Hirose, will be players to closely watch.

Really that's all an NHL team can expect from it's AHL affiliate.....that the kids they send there all show improvement in their games.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hard to find a young player on the Abbotsford Canucks who didn't take a big step forward this season.

The best of the lot was probably Silovs.....but props to the likes of Bains, Karlsson, Klimovich, Rathbone and Nielson. And next season, guys like McDonough, McWard, Johannson, Sasson and possible Hirose, will be players to closely watch.

Really that's all an NHL team can expect from it's AHL affiliate.....that the kids they send there all show improvement in their games.

I think Silovs and Bains - at the very least - see some games with the big club next year. Silovs might well start as the backup.

I think Rathbone and Woo are bubble guys who could make a push for a defensive spot with the big club, and also could be at risk of getting claimed on waivers if they go to the AHL.

Hopefully Klimovich and Karlsson are ready to be consistent offensive drivers for Abbotsford.

I wonder if the organization will extend a two way NHL offer to Nielsen. IMO, he’s earned it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad