Post-Game Talk: Abbotsford Canucks | Def. in Round 2

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
They get to choose if they want the first two or the last three, so they had the option. That's the advantage.

Providence was top in their division and they get games 1 and 2 at home and also game 5 is at home.

Same with the Marlies

Reactions: Vector and m9

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How do you solve a problem like Wolf?

IMO, that’s the biggest challenge ahead of Abby here.
Same way you beat any goalie....get to the front of the net and take away his eyes, then go rebound hunting.

And shoot high.....as a shorter goaltender he's vulnerable under the bar......but agree he's probably the biggest hurdle to the Canucks advancing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kind of cool Canucks get home ice advantage if it’s a full 5 game series.
Yes.....a little baffling that the lower seed gets the extra home game if the series goes five games. But it's the same around the AHL. I'm guessing is cost-control measure for travel.

If the Canucks get a split in Calgary, then the last three games are at the loud and proud Abby Entertainment Center. It'll be a zoo in there for those games.

Hard to say what the attendance will be like in Calgary. The Wranglers haven't drawn all that well, but not surprising when you consider that three teams, the WHL Hitmen, the NHL Flames and the WHL Wranglers all play out of the Saddledome.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
Just can't help thinking it is imperative the Canucks get out of the gate fast, have the hot hand in net, and get the win in game one. So important in this format. Lose one and two and it'll be unbelievably tough. From what I've seen; (The points and excellent record of the Wranglers does not mean automatic success.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Having the AHL team in the backyard (hindsight) seems like a slam-dunk right now. Ya the team just advanced and that is great but IMO more importantly fans will come to see future Canucks and the team is freed from the burden of signing a Jason Krog or taking a loan from another organization to sell tickets. It can really be a pure development team for the Canucks. When a beloved Abby player graduates their fans don't lose them, they are instead incentivized to buy a ticket to the big show just down the road.

I used to argue with my uncle who lives in Abby about how the Heat (he had season tickets because he's a dirty flames fan) made no sense and that if it were a Canuck farm team the financials would take care of themselves.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Having the AHL team in the backyard (hindsight) seems like a slam-dunk right now. Ya the team just advanced and that is great but IMO more importantly fans will come to see future Canucks and the team is freed from the burden of signing a Jason Krog or taking a loan from another organization to sell tickets. It can really be a pure development team for the Canucks. When a beloved Abby player graduates their fans don't lose them, they are instead incentivized to buy a ticket to the big show just down the road.

I used to argue with my uncle who lives in Abby about how the Heat (he had season tickets because he's a dirty flames fan) made no sense and that if it were a Canuck farm team the financials would take care of themselves.

The thing that absolutely killed the Heat, financially, was that they were the only AHL team out west and had to subsidize the travel costs for visiting teams as a condition of being allowed to have an AHL franchise that was so isolated.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The thing that absolutely killed the Heat, financially, was that they were the only AHL team out west and had to subsidize the travel costs for visiting teams as a condition of being allowed to have an AHL franchise that was so isolated.
The thing that really killed the Heat was that the City of Abbotsford was basically underwriting the team and assuming all the end-of-season losses, which eventually ballooned into the millions.

No way that could ever have continued.....I'm sure to the regret of the Calgary Flames.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The thing that really killed the Heat was that the City of Abbotsford was basically underwriting the team and assuming all the end-of-season losses, which eventually ballooned into the millions.

No way that could ever have continued.....I'm sure to the regret of the Calgary Flames.

Yes, it was an enormously, obviously stupid move by the city, and you have to wonder who was getting what kickbacks to sign off on it. I believe they had to pay like 5million dollars just to get out of the deal and get the team to leave.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yes, it was an enormously, obviously stupid move by the city, and you have to wonder who was getting what kickbacks to sign off on it. I believe they had to pay like 5million dollars just to get out of the deal and get the team to leave.
Doesn't look good on that person who had the authority to make that decision. Either they took a plain white envelope full of.....or they were that stupid to make that decision.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I know many people doubted things working here after the Abbotsford Heat trial, but for me it was a no-brainer and would always work and I agree with you that the Canucks are so popular a farm team would be successful. If not successful, at least good enough.

You can't put a random - or in this case rival - farm team in your backyard and expect it to be successful. Further, thinking that would translate to a Canucks farm team not working never made sense to me.

It's the exact same thinking that makes no sense when people say "An NFL team won't work in Toronto, look how bad the attendance is when they put NFL games there years ago!". A team may or may not work there, but using a sample size of a team with no affiliation to the area isn't the way to find out.

Anyways, tough series coming up here. Really interested to see how the Canucks offense looks in this series and if they can generate goals.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
We have to keep our wits. Watch the retaliation penalties, they'll sink yah.
We can beat the Wrangers if we keep our cool. Hell; Look how horrid their parent tram was this year.

Reactions: Lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad