AAV for new EK contract

what team ceiling number would you consider a lowball offer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Eh not really. He’s worth what the market will bear. What one individual buyer is willing to pay contributes to that number but it’s not determinative.

A Tesla isn’t worth 50k just because that’s all I can afford to pay for it on my budget.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The low value is obviously not the determining factor.

In reality the whole idea of 'worth' is nebulous when referring to a person as the value changes from team to team, and to the individual themselves.

I'm hoping for a nice meeting in the middle between 10 - 11 million X 8

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The low value is obviously not the determining factor.

In reality the whole idea of 'worth' is nebulous when referring to a person as the value changes from team to team, and to the individual themselves.

I'm hoping for a nice meeting in the middle between 10 - 11 million X 8

If the Sens offer around 11M I think that’s pretty fair and would be happy. I think Karlsson should still be signed even if his ask approaches 12M, but I’ll at least understand if the team doesn’t feel the same way.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If the Sens offer around 11M I think that’s pretty fair and would be happy. I think Karlsson should still be signed even if his ask approaches 12M, but I’ll at least understand if the team doesn’t feel the same way.

Yeah I hear you. It's not my money so I'm not going to sweat a few million in fantasy land either. As long as we're able to ice a competitive team I'm happy. I want to see EK, Duchene, and Stone signed, then I'll know that we're serious about competing for a playoff spot right away. Having our top three guys buy into the plan going forward would be huge.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If EM... I mean, PD decides to stand his ground and offers 8.5M and doesn’t budge, and the decision is made to trade EK... who do you blame?

See how easy it is to spin things?

That's easy, PD.

Why, because it's less than the currently signed most comparable, PK Subban, and he should be offered at least the same to open the negociations, knowing they'll be countered with something much higher than they expect to arrive at, in the middle.

So, my how about my original question?

If Karlsson stands his ground, and doesn't budge from 12 M, how do you blame, if he's traded?

See how easy it is to answer a hypothetical question?

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Yeah I hear you. It's not my money so I'm not going to sweat a few million in fantasy land either. As long as we're able to ice a competitive team I'm happy. I want to see EK, Duchene, and Stone signed, then I'll know that we're serious about competing for a playoff spot right away. Having our top three guys buy into the plan going forward would be huge.

More or less. I can’t stomach a rebuild with no first rounder next year. Signing Karlsson is imperative.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Can you, for once, just be intellectually honest enough to admit he overstepped with his comments?

No, you have your opinion, and you're entitled to it, I don't share it, and you can't force me to agree with you.

There were no screaming headlines in today's local papers blasting the GM for throwing the coach under the bus, and left him twisting in the wind ... or anything as dramatic as you would have us believe.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yep it may be just an opinion or speculation,sorry i probably should have said that..But i do remember hearing or reading about it

Most NHL head coaches, especially the unemployed ones, are extremely reluctant to burn any bridges they've crossed, or any potential bridges they have yet to cross.

On the topic of a potential coaching change ...... does anyone think Jacques Martin, after the Penguins' season is over, would be an option, if Dorion decides a coaching change is in need?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
No, you have your opinion, and you're entitled to it, I don't share it, and you can't force me to agree with you.

There were no screaming headlines in today's local papers blasting the GM for throwing the coach under the bus, and left him twisting in the wind ... or anything as dramatic as you would have us believe.
Ok let's explore your position.

Please find and post quotes from other GM's as critical as "'Rest is a weapon' — if I hear that one more time I'll go crazy," Dorion said.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
That's easy, PD.

Why, because it's less than the currently signed most comparable, PK Subban, and he should be offered at least the same to open the negociations, knowing they'll be countered with something much higher than they expect to arrive at, in the middle.

So, my how about my original question?

If Karlsson stands his ground, and doesn't budge from 12 M, how do you blame, if he's traded?

See how easy it is to answer a hypothetical question?
I take it back. You’re amazing!

Although, aside from your amazingness, why are you dead set on having someone blamed no matter the situation?

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Multiple teams would be willing to pay EK over 12M per season. The only thing ridiculous is expecting him to take a discount for an owner that is not trying to compete.

Not saying EK might not be talked into another hometown discount and I'll be happy if he does, but he is easily worth more than 12M per.
Discount...it will not be a discount, it is what the fans have dictated with seats sold here....as soon as you and the EM hate crowd decide to support the stars, then guess what..the stars get to stay. Wow, logic.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Discount...it will not be a discount, it is what the fans have dictated with seats sold here....as soon as you and the EM hate crowd decide to support the stars, then guess what..the stars get to stay. Wow, logic.
Adults are talking...do run along.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ok let's explore your position.

Please find and post quotes from other GM's as critical as "'Rest is a weapon' — if I hear that one more time I'll go crazy," Dorion said.

I read that quote and thought Dorion was out of line saying that. It sours his relationship with Boucher and, to me, looks like an indication that Boucher is on thin cracking ice! I would not say that if I were GM. I would say that my season end assessment of the coaching staff was underway but not yet completed.

Regarding Boucher saying he was using rest as a weapon, I interpret that as meaning allowing players to rest instead of practicing was more helpful to team play in the upcoming game than trying to coach improvement in team play. I understand that rationale as there are times when rest is more important than on-ice work.

I am no fan of Boucher and even less a fan of Dorion. There is a need for significant change in the hockey ops department.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Regarding Karlsson, I might start with a $9M per season for the maximum allowed 8 years with a maximum bonus per year, thus guaranteeing his income in event of a disruption in league play.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
If EK goes in the tank at 12 million per this team is sunk. Not saying he will, but 8 at 12m in one player is a horrifying prospect if it all goes wrong.

Reactions: albator71

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If EK goes in the tank at 12 million per this team is sunk. Not saying he will, but 8 at 12m in one player is a horrifying prospect if it all goes wrong.

That could be said for any player really (McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Doughty, Stamkos and etc).

Anytime a superstar (or any player for that matter) signs a 80M-100M deal and it doesn't work out you're in deep shit. That being said it's not a reason to let go of a guy of that caliber.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That could be said for any player really (McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Doughty, Stamkos and etc).

Anytime a superstar (or any player for that matter) signs a 80M-100M deal and it doesn't work out you're in deep ****. That being said it's not a reason to let go of a guy of that caliber.
I've already said it but there's a far greater risk in trading Karlsson than committing to him. You're probably taking huge risks that some prospects and picks turn out vs an already established HHoFer. It's really easy to see which is the greater risk. Pretty much assured we'll lose the trade by giving up the best player in the deal, it's mostly a question of how bad you lose it.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I've already said it but there's a far greater risk in trading Karlsson than committing to him. You're probably taking huge risks that some prospects and picks turn out vs an already established HHoFer. It's really easy to see which is the greater risk. Pretty much assured we'll lose the trade by giving up the best player in the deal, it's mostly a question of how bad you lose it.

I'm a big believer in the best player in a trade theory. I liked the Duchene trade when we made it and like it even more now.

No question we lose the best player in any trade involving Karlsson so from that point of view we lose. no question.

there is however risk in signing him in terms of the overall health of the team. how high can we go and what can we assemble for a team with what's left given the budget?

any trade involving Karlsson won't be all about futures. There would have to be a couple of quality young nhl pieces in Dorion's alleged 5 to 7 pieces ask.

I don't think it is as cut and dried as signing him at all cost.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

Or Lindros, Bure, Staal (this year aside), Gomez, Phaneuf, Gaborik, Richards, Richards, Nash, Green, Campbell, Lecavalier, Heatley, Spezza, etc. etc. There are a lot of elite players who can burn teams through injury or decline. And when they do it can drag a whole franchise down. I don't think EK is going to go that way, but it's a huge risk at that dollar value. Spread that salary around and the risk disappears a bit. EK is my favourite player in the league, but I understand how hard a decision this is for the team.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
I think that if EK is willing to sign in the 9.5-10.5 area, the deal will get done. I highly doubt Ottawa would go any higher than that.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad