AAV for new EK contract

what team ceiling number would you consider a lowball offer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Or Lindros, Bure, Staal (this year aside), Gomez, Phaneuf, Gaborik, Richards, Richards, Nash, Green, Campbell, Lecavalier, Heatley, Spezza, etc. etc. There are a lot of elite players who can burn teams through injury or decline. And when they do it can drag a whole franchise down. I don't think EK is going to go that way, but it's a huge risk at that dollar value. Spread that salary around and the risk disappears a bit. EK is my favourite player in the league, but I understand how hard a decision this is for the team.
Absolutely. If this were a player not quite on EK's level, we'd all be saying we should be getting off the pot and not be paying a guy over 10 for 8 years considering he'll be almost 30 when it kicks in and has a couple major injuries in his past.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I dont think AAV is going to a problem, its the structure of the contract. The bigger contracts are essentially all paid in signing bonuses these days, that could be a problem for Melnyk.

Reactions: NB613

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I'm starting at 10. If he walks from a 10 * 8 deal, then being in Ottawa is not the priority he made it out to be
And if that’s the cut off, winning is not the priority Melnyk made it out to be.

This is the new NHL. If you can’t adapt to today’s market value of contracts, enjoy your mediocrity and endless loop of prospect boasting.

Last edited:

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
I think if management is serious about signing Erik they'll be willing to negotiate to somewhere between 10-11 Million. And likewise if Erik is serious about staying in Ottawa he'll sign a contract between 10-11 Million. On the off chance Erik really wants to stay and takes somewhat of a discount they maybe we get lucky and get him for 9.5 Million...but personally I think he will ask/settle in the 10-11 range.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
if Erik signs at 10 it's 14% of a 72 M budget. That leaves 62 for everything that's left.

At an 80M budget that 10 figure jumps to 11 and leaves 69 for everything that is left.

A cap team could afford to go say 14 and still have 66 left.

I think as far as the team can go it leaves a couple M on the table and the only way it works out is if Erik doesn' want to maximize his money.

Add Stone and Duchene in to the mix both on 8 by 8 deals we are sitting on 26 or 27 for what guys are calling the big three. 26 is 36% of a 72 M budget.

I think we'r moving into very dangerous territory with 3 guys signed to that percentage as they age.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
if Erik signs at 10 it's 14% of a 72 M budget. That leaves 62 for everything that's left.

At an 80M budget that 10 figure jumps to 11 and leaves 69 for everything that is left.

A cap team could afford to go say 14 and still have 66 left.

I think as far as the team can go it leaves a couple M on the table and the only way it works out is if Erik doesn' want to maximize his money.

Add Stone and Duchene in to the mix both on 8 by 8 deals we are sitting on 26 or 27 for what guys are calling the big three. 26 is 36% of a 72 M budget.

I think we'r moving into very dangerous territory with 3 guys signed to that percentage as they age.
We are in danngerous territory because we don't have an NHL calibre owner.

If we can't/won't sign those three to market level deals we will turn in to the late stage Expos and act as a farm team for the rest of the league.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I remember Claude Julien saying something to the effect that he wouldnt coach Ottawa with EM being the owner
I don't get how people can still post stuff like this without a source and not have it deleted

So much fake news on these boards these days with no backing

Something like this should be easy to find a source for if it was actually said to the media

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I don't get how people can still post stuff like this without a source and not have it deleted

So much fake news on these boards these days with no backing

Something like this should be easy to find a source for if it was actually said to the media
Someone said it ,Iam no liar...And I did hear it .......Besides he received a 5 year 5 mil per year contract...And we all know what EM thinks about paying a coach that doesnt walk on water that much

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Someone said it ,Iam no liar...And I did hear it .......Besides he received a 5 year 5 mil per year contract...And we all know what EM thinks about paying a coach that doesnt walk on water that much
again no source for any of this

if your gonna throw a guy under a bus for something he apparently said then atleast post proof

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

if your gonna throw a guy under a bus for something he apparently said then atleast post proof
Did EM not say and I quote about paying a high end coach a pile of money???"He had better walk on water".....EM has said tons of stupid stuff ,and lots of it was said and not written anywhere...

Besides,i have already said in a subsequent post that i was sorry about not having proof,and it was just something i heard...Why the f*** are you breaking my balls

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

details are fuzzy but personally i remember Melnyk making a claim along those lines a few years back.....the exact words / money involved i don't recall....but the spirit of what topshelf is saying ....ya i remember that

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Should the thread title here not match the question that is being asked to vote on?

AAV for Karlsson vs what is the threshold of a low ball offer ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensung

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
26804720_10155040561191496_5404903086206614398_n.jpg

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Was that "someone" Claude Julien?

Because that is who you're attributing the statement to.
I can't seem to find it, using a number of search combinations.

There are a lot of highly paid coaches, who at home watching the playoffs on TV, and Babcock may be joining them very soon.

I'd rather have the Sens spend extra money on scouts, and in the development of prospects at summer camps, conditioning programs and at the AHL level, rather than paying a "big name" coach.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Initial offer 8X10, making him the highest paid defensemen in the league. Hoping to land somewhere between 11 and 12M.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't consider any number a low ball offer, EK has sucked defensively for yrs up until last season which was his best season defensively since he's been here IMO. Yes, offensively he's a dynamo but he's not worth more than $10 mil per yr & he certainly wasn't worth anywhere near that this past yr. IMO I don't think this team should pay him that, given where this franchise is at this time. I would prefer they look at moving him & getting as many good assets back as possible including a 2019 1st rd pick.

If the team is not going to be a contender than it's a waste of resources to pay one player that much money to not make the playoffs. Let's trade him, get as much as we can for him & start building towards the future with the pool of good prospects they already have, plus what they get for EK, plus what they get at this yr's draft & move on already. Then they can look to get rid of a few more anchors on this team.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I don't consider any number a low ball offer, EK has sucked defensively for yrs
So an offer of league minimum wouldn't be a lowball...Brilliant! Almost as intelligent as the rest of the bolded.

If we are lucky, we can maybe find some more players like Zach Smith and Chris Neil to fill up our roster...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->