AAV for new EK contract

what team ceiling number would you consider a lowball offer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
ok, so we all know we've got a big contract discussion coming with EK. Forget bonus money and percentage of cap stuff, it just complicates things for a simple poll. The Sens have to have a ceiling. How high can they go? At what number, if it is on the table and Erik walks away do you look at the number and say that was a reasonable offer?

To add to those that are confused - the Sens have a number obviously where they can't / won't go beyond. Lots of talk about lowball, reasonable etc.

I completely agree EK can get more money if he decides he intends to go the UFA route - which likely forces a trade / sign type deal where he signs for 8 years somewhere else

what is the number where the team says "we went as far as we could" yet you consider low ball

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm starting at 10. If he walks from a 10 * 8 deal, then being in Ottawa is not the priority he made it out to be

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
for the record, i think a trade / sign deal enables him to get more than what he can get here

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Eichel got 10 AAV on RFA years and hasn't hit 70 points yet (I know he's been injured a lot but still). McDavid at 12.5, Karlsson should be in between. If Tavares signs early it could set a general range too.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If they offer him $10 million AAV, with the guarantee they will sign Stone and Duchesne, that to me is a reasonable offer.

I think EK, Stone and Duchesne are all at a place where winning is bigger then money. But who knows if these guys are on the same page and want to continue together. I doubt even if Dorion knows.

A long time ago the female GM of the Ottawa Roughriders had a single day where they announced the signing of Kulka and a group of high profile free agents. It revitalized the franchise and attendance at Lansdowne, the team wasn't that great, but the investment from the team got the fans on board and they responded with god crowds, the Senators needs something like this.

The Sens need a victory like the one that got the fans excited about the Roughies , not a high draft pick, they need to establish that Ottawa can compete on NHL ice, on the NHL market and have a good fan experience. The credibility of the team isn't good right now, only a buy-in from stud hockey players gets you back above the water mark.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If they offer him $10 million AAV, with the guarantee they will sign Stone and Duchesne, that to me is a reasonable offer.

I think EK, Stone and Duchesne are all at a place where winning is bigger then money. But who knows if these guys are on the same page and want to continue together. I doubt even if Dorion knows.

A long time ago the female GM of the Ottawa Roughriders had a single day where they announced the signing of Kulka and a group of high profile free agents. It revitalized the franchise and attendance at Lansdowne, the team wasn't that great, but the investment from the team got the fans on board and they responded with god crowds, the Senators needs something like this.

The Sens need a victory like the one that got the fans excited about the Roughies , not a high draft pick, they need to establish that Ottawa can compete on NHL ice, on the NHL market and have a good fan experience. The credibility of the team isn't good right now, only a buy-in from stud hockey players gets you back above the water mark.

Joanne Polak was the GM of the Ottawa Rough Riders (not the Roughriders), and your suggestion is a good one.

Perhaps when the Senators conduct the "couple more" town halls that they suggested they'll do over the summer, this can be brought up.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
10.5 to 11 mil a season is fair ,and likely gets the deal done....However iam sure EK will want some conditions,like not being in the bottom half of the league in spending

Reactions: NB613

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Anything under 10 is a lowball. It will probably take more than that to get a deal done, though.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Joanne Polak was the GM of the Ottawa Rough Riders (not the Roughriders), and your suggestion is a good one.

Perhaps when the Senators conduct the "couple more" town halls that they suggested they'll do over the summer, this can be brought up.

Thanks for the name, I could only think of Jean Piglet who was I think the head of the NCC. Polak signing all those players was a bit of a publicity stunt, but it worked, it got the fanbses attention and poeple legit bought Glenn Kulka jerseys and probably steroids as well. I can still see the Sun cover with all 5 on them on it and thinking that Ottawa just remade their team.

Up to that point I think this was the most exciting day in Ottawa sports history in my lifetime until the Sens were announced

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm not worried that the team won't make a reasonable offer around 10 per year for 8 years. My concern is that the Karlsson camp knows he could be looking at as high as 14-15 per season if he hits ufa, and no way would I want to sign him for that, nor would we obviously. 12 is my hard number I wouldn't go over, and seeing that we have a pretty hard budget (Like it or not), I don't think we should even go that high if we want to try to field a decent team around him.

I do think Dorion ends up extending Duchene, Karlsson & Stone this summer. The repercussions of that we may not like because the dollars have to be freed up elsewhere, but I do think all 3 get done. I liked what I heard from Dorion in the scrum and the TSN1200 interview yesterday.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
11M is too low for a top option in this poll.

Why should Karlsson take a hometown discount for an owner unwilling to spend to the cap?
He shouldnt...But I think EM knows the deal,thanks to guys like you ....Spending in the bottom half the league and moving assets for money needs to end ...EK will need to be convinced that this is going to be the case moving forward

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The poll is a little confusing. You ask what is a low ball offer amount, yet in the post you position it as what is a reasonable number they could offer and would be okay with them walking away from.

I don't consider 11 a low ball offer, but it is a number that I would be fine with them walking away from if he doesn't accept.

Reactions: NB613 and pzeeman

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The poll is a little confusing. You ask what is a low ball offer amount, yet in the post you position it as what is a reasonable number they could offer and would be okay with them walking away from.

I don't consider 11 a low ball offer, but it is a number that I would be fine with them walking away from if he doesn't accept.
Agreed. Very poorly worded.

I think there is a range where the Sens can save face and Karlsson can reject without it being insulting/lowball offer or Karlsson being greedy.

To me, if the Sens go to 11M and bow out, then I'm unhappy, but will only be furious if they try and paint EK as greedy for saying Hell No.

If Karlsson asks for over 12.5 and won't go any lower, then I think the Sens are smart to pass, but he is still not being greedy for seeking market value and don't want to see him portrayed as such.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This is a very confusing poll.

Are you asking what we think is fair for Karlsson, what Melnyk/Dorion think is fair or what Karlsson will ask for?

I don't think you have an option low enough for what will be offered to him. Think Melnyk probably maxes out around 9M.

I also don't think you have an option high enough for what I think he's worth and what he'll realistically be asking for which is probably between 11 and 12M.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, I agree with the confusing poll sentiment.

I voted 9.75 thinking that anything under 10 is a lowball for an initial offer and signifies that the team isn't willing to negotiate in good faith.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Badly worded question is bad. The Sens need to get him signed no matter the average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad