Player Discussion: Aatu Raty (2021 52nd OA)

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Actually... he reminds me a little more of Trevor Linden, the player Bertuzzi was traded for. Lanky and strong, with a wide stance and a slight hitch in his skating.
Oh I'll sign up for that right now. Trevor Linden was a really solid player in this league for a long time. He was also one of my favorite Islanders from those nightmareish years.

Reactions: Olliemets

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Oh I'll sign up for that right now. Trevor Linden was a really solid player in this league for a long time. He was also one of my favorite Islanders from those nightmareish years.
If he does become a trevor linden tier player, that would be a great steal in the 2nd round. I still think at best he might be close to someone like Hintz or Gourde given the way he plays. His physical play was actually undermined and that was a sneaky part of his game that was nice

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
sounds good and actually the kid looked like an NHL player but yeeesh some serious NHL talent being discussed here. Time will tell I guess. Pulling for him ofcourse

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I see more extensive quotes from Trotz about Raty on NHL.com. Some of these are new to me, so I figured I'd post them here:

"This guy is just a good hockey player."

"I've been extremely impressed with the player to this point," Islanders Head Coach Barry Trotz said. "[He's] quite mature. Has lots of game, high hockey IQ, he reminds me of a Zach Parise-type of player. He's got a really good motor, always around the net, very intelligent, wins his puck battles, has really good hands. What a great pick by our scouts. Personally, there's certain kids that you get really excited with when they show up at camp. A lot of times we get a kid at camp, we get excited, but we go, 'He has this hole and this hole. We're going to have to work on this.' But there's not that many holes in his game really."

"One of the things, when you're a competitive guy is that when there's a puck battle, that's where the game is won," Trotz said. "Can you win more puck battles? Can you get the puck out when you're under duress? Can you make a play when you're under duress? That's one thing that he seems to excel at. That's the North American-NHL version. It's easy to be really good on the rush, with time and space, it's hard to be a good player in tight spaces."

"I'm fairly excited," Trotz said. "We talk about who impresses you and what you see. To start, he's made a really good impression."

Aatu Raty Impresses at Islanders Training Camp

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
"One of the things, when you're a competitive guy is that when there's a puck battle, that's where the game is won," Trotz said. "Can you win more puck battles? Can you get the puck out when you're under duress? Can you make a play when you're under duress? That's one thing that he seems to excel at. That's the North American-NHL version. It's easy to be really good on the rush, with time and space, it's hard to be a good player in tight spaces."

This is the quote that speaks to favoring NHL vets over rookies. Hence, the value of Zajac during the playoffs last year. He was a gem at making the low danger pass, moving the puck to low danger areas, etc. All that is something that someone either has or its learned over time in understanding the pace of the NHL game. Rookies need to do it in the time they get, then build on it. To Trotz' point - that is where the game is won because a turnover under duress can lead directly to an odd man rush, player out of position, possession change, and, of course, the goal against. Hence, back to favoring the player that knows what to do in that situation.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This is the quote that speaks to favoring NHL vets over rookies. Hence, the value of Zajac during the playoffs last year. He was a gem at making the low danger pass, moving the puck to low danger areas, etc. All that is something that someone either has or its learned over time in understanding the pace of the NHL game. Rookies need to do it in the time they get, then build on it. To Trotz' point - that is where the game is won because a turnover under duress can lead directly to an odd man rush, player out of position, possession change, and, of course, the goal against. Hence, back to favoring the player that knows what to do in that situation.
But i was told speed is the only thing that matters in the NHL

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hot start with his new club jukurit. Scored goals in each of his first three starts. He has five points total in 3 games.

Jukurit trusting him with higher minutes and he s paying back that faith.

Excellent second round pickup. Very nice selection.

And he has been killing it at every U20 event this year, so he's looking like one of the key figures for the Finnish WJC squad.

Can't wait to see him there.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Another game another goal. 4 goals 6 points in 4 games. Thank god I didn't jinx him posting before his game today.

They did lose though so maybe I did.

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Bump. Raty has 13 points in 11 games with his new team. The main reason he fell was because scouts claimed he couldn’t play against men. Quickly proving them all wrong. Sadly he won’t be playing in the juniors because he just tested positive for covid. As a sens fan I can’t believe we passed on him twice in the second round, this is really looking like it could end up being the worst draft class in franchise history.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Bump. Raty has 13 points in 11 games with his new team. The main reason he fell was because scouts claimed he couldn’t play against men. Quickly proving them all wrong. Sadly he won’t be playing in the juniors because he just tested positive for covid. As a sens fan I can’t believe we passed on him twice in the second round, this is really looking like it could end up being the worst draft class in franchise history.

Hey, at least you got Stutzle and didn't get stuck with Laf. ;)

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Pardon my asking as I don't know any of the contract rules but....if he goes bonkers in one of those games, is there any chance he gets the call-up to the big Isles to play in a few meaningless games?
Contractually no issue but if Bridgeport gets into playoffs I'm sure that's where they want him

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
I love this. Get him a few pro games in North America now to get a taste. I think this kid is very focused. The experience pre-summer is invaluable. This will help him get a running start into next year as he will know what he needs to do to prepare. Wouldn't shock me to see him get a taste of the big club sometime next year. I'm thinking we'll def see in 2023-24.

Reactions: Stercrazy

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
How did I miss that Raty is being brought over to play in Bridgeport and just hearing it here? Did the Isles make any announcement?

Reactions: Riseonfire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad