Player Discussion: Aatu Raty (2021 52nd OA)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hutton here as well, got a smirk from Raty after I called him out. He’s pumped.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He had a solid debut with limited minutes. Was reading the play well and seemed to excel when the puck was on his stick. He played a 200 foot game. He didn't blow by anyone, but he was noticeable when he was on the ice.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He had a solid debut with limited minutes. Was reading the play well and seemed to excel when the puck was on his stick. He played a 200 foot game. He didn't blow by anyone, but he was noticeable when he was on the ice.
He earned another start lol.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

How did his speed look? Did he look like he could keep up with the play?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I see more extensive quotes from Trotz about Raty on NHL.com. Some of these are new to me, so I figured I'd post them here:

"This guy is just a good hockey player."

"I've been extremely impressed with the player to this point," Islanders Head Coach Barry Trotz said. "[He's] quite mature. Has lots of game, high hockey IQ, he reminds me of a Zach Parise-type of player. He's got a really good motor, always around the net, very intelligent, wins his puck battles, has really good hands. What a great pick by our scouts. Personally, there's certain kids that you get really excited with when they show up at camp. A lot of times we get a kid at camp, we get excited, but we go, 'He has this hole and this hole. We're going to have to work on this.' But there's not that many holes in his game really."

"One of the things, when you're a competitive guy is that when there's a puck battle, that's where the game is won," Trotz said. "Can you win more puck battles? Can you get the puck out when you're under duress? Can you make a play when you're under duress? That's one thing that he seems to excel at. That's the North American-NHL version. It's easy to be really good on the rush, with time and space, it's hard to be a good player in tight spaces."

"I'm fairly excited," Trotz said. "We talk about who impresses you and what you see. To start, he's made a really good impression."

Aatu Raty Impresses at Islanders Training Camp
Wonder what his Holmstrom quotes look like...thanks for this!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Raty the only prospect we have that I feel confident will have a solid/lengthy NHL career.

Every other one has holes in their game/physical ability that make me have doubts.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
How did his speed look? Did he look like he could keep up with the play?
Completely fine. Only issue in that department is he seemed a little small, but he wasn't afraid to go where he needed. Skated with a lot of confidence and knew what he wanted to do, no timidness.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Completely fine. Only issue in that department is he seemed a little small, but he wasn't afraid to go where he needed. Skated with a lot of confidence and knew what he wanted to do, no timidness.
Raty really isn't small, but I thought the same thing when I saw him in preseason. Does he maybe have a wide stance when skating - maybe a little hunched over? He's listed at 6'2"....

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Raty really isn't small, but I thought the same thing when I saw him in preseason. Does he maybe have a wide stance when skating - maybe a little hunched over? He's listed at 6'2"....
I was thinking weight, not height. Just looked slimmer than a lot of other guys out there.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Small? Do you mean in terms of weight? Because he's 6'2.

I was thinking weight, not height. Just looked slimmer than a lot of other guys out there.

:cool:

m0rkoli

Jan 3, 2019
I do wonder, will we see him this year in NHL:
At least he did good in Liiga this year.
1657617641124.png

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If he actually makes the roster, i'd be surprised. not likely but you could tell Raty got better as the Liiga season went on. One more year in bridgeport should do well.

It's not BT behind the bench anymore . . .

Kids will make the lineup if they show well, unlike the past when one mistake got you benched and demoted

Over-ripening players is a losing strategy in a flat cap world.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
It's not BT behind the bench anymore . . .

Kids will make the lineup if they show well, unlike the past when one mistake got you benched and demoted

Over-ripening players is a losing strategy in a flat cap world.
Make him ripe for one year, then next season.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
My boy is about to have a big year!! I feel. Also, let’s hope he does because he’s the only legit center prospect we have.
I wonder if they attempt to transition Dufour to center like they tried with Koivula because of this?

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
It’s hard to draft top six C prospects outside of the 1st and high 2nd round.
Doesn't help to trade 3 consecutive first round picks. I understand the reasoning of doing it. Just would like to see some depth at that position and maybe that's the plan for next year. I like the analogy of having as many darts to throw at the dart board.

Reactions: seafoam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad