Player Discussion: Aatu Raty (2021 52nd OA)

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Yesterday the Finnish league started. Kärpät won the first league game of the season with 6-2 against JYP.

Aatu Räty didn’t play. Not sure if he didn’t play because he prepared for the NHL camp… or other reasons. Preparing for the camp by not playing hockey sounds strange though. However, the Swedish players who are invited to attend the NHL camps played in the SHL yesterday.
Aatu is in NA

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Yeah dunno what's up with that. It was just said in yesterdays broadcast that he's taking part in Islanders dev camp.

E: Well, actually he does have to quarantine and stuff right?
I've been lurking around here for news about the isles dev camp but havent seen anything, while other teams have posted rosters, videos ect. Is this another Lou thing or whats up with Isles dev camp?

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Still can't believe he fell to the Isles. I still have to chuckle to myself when MTL made their first round selection. Just wow!

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
I've been lurking around here for news about the isles dev camp but havent seen anything, while other teams have posted rosters, videos ect. Is this another Lou thing or whats up with Isles dev camp?

No idea. I’ve not found any news either. I think Aatu Räty is supposed to participate in the main training camp.

Some other European prospects such as Malinen, Iskhakov, Machu, Liukas and Rajaneimi has already played regular season games in their domestic leagues.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Yeah dunno what's up with that. It was just said in yesterdays broadcast that he's taking part in Islanders dev camp.

E: Well, actually he does have to quarantine and stuff right?

Odd, as Lou announced there wouldn't be a dev camp.

The Islanders will also not hold a development camp for the second-straight summer, as the GM cited the large presence of prospects with the group during the playoff run.

Six Takeaways From Lamoriello's Season-Ending Press Conference

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Odd, as Lou announced there wouldn't be a dev camp.

Six Takeaways From Lamoriello's Season-Ending Press Conference
Yeah, they didn't specifically say dev camp, just camp, in the broadcast.

Aatu Räty avaa äärettömän vaikeaa viime kauttaan – yksi asia pisti silmään: ”Siitä en tykännyt”

Interview with Aatu from a few days ago. He says he didn't get to work out more than three weeks during summer because he was busy doing hockey related stuff. He's focusing a lot on skating which he knows is his weakness.

When asked about his weak 2020 season, he says the situation was that there were better centers in the team than him and when he got to play he just tried to play the simplest possible game. Says it wasn't easy playing ten minutes per game when people kept asking "Where's Aatu Räty?"

He got sick early in the season and missed games because of that, and when he got back he smashed against the boards pretty bad and missed more games. And in the playoffs he played with his back in such a bad condition that it was difficult to even stand up.

This article does state that Räty will travel to a prospect camp in September, but Räty himself just says " training camp". He leaves on the 15th so he's not quite in NA yet, as I stated before ( I blame the broadcaster :P)

In 2021-22 he says it's NHL or Kärpät (So Kärpät) and that he wants the play in NA next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkHorse2

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
They will have a development camp but no-one will ever know of it.
To be extra safe, Lou had a rink built to 1.50x scale at Northwell so that anyone who happened to see the ice would just think it was PeeWee players.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
This article does state that Räty will travel to a prospect camp in September, but Räty himself just says " training camp". He leaves on the 15th so he's not quite in NA yet, as I stated before ( I blame the broadcaster :P)

Thanks a lot for the translated interview!

Well, I think it’s concerning that he didn’t play in the first game. Nightmare if they use him as the 13th forward, he is way too good for that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
To be extra safe, Lou had a rink built to 1.50x scale at Northwell so that anyone who happened to see the ice would just think it was PeeWee players.

giphy.gif

Mara

May 10, 2011
Well, I think it’s concerning that he didn’t play in the first game. Nightmare if they use him as the 13th forward, he is way too good for that.

Someone on a Finnish forum posted that he didn't play because he had a cold (not covid, apparently). No info from the team though. It could also be that they simply decided to bench him because he only had time for that one game before leaving for the USA, so they wanted to get the roster for the next few weeks "locked in". Anyway, it doesn't mean anything - all he has to do when he comes back is take that spot in the roster and not give it up. ;)

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
So far the announcers in both games have called him "Ratty". Drives me nuts! How does a professional announcer not pronounce a player's name correctly? It's literally their job!
They do it everywhere. Look how bad they still mess up Korean names in MLB. Try pronouncing Samsung the western way in Korea...nobody knows who you are talking about, lol.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
They do it everywhere. Look how bad they still mess up Korean names in MLB. Try pronouncing Samsung the western way in Korea...nobody knows who you are talking about, lol.
I've got two things for you- 1. I'm just finishing Squid Game. Man it's trippy! 2. Fubo is currently working overseas with ExpressVPN and dude it's a game changer! You can set up a LI zip code and you get all the NY sports channels minus YES. You also click your favourite football team when you sign up and every game is available and recorded. Pretty much the same for college football.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I've got two things for you- 1. I'm just finishing Squid Game. Man it's trippy! 2. Fubo is currently working overseas with ExpressVPN and dude it's a game changer! You can set up a LI zip code and you get all the NY sports channels minus YES. You also click your favourite football team when you sign up and every game is available and recorded. Pretty much the same for college football.
That's cool!

I already have my Kakaotalk notification sound as the creepy doll doing her "무궁화 꽃이 피었읍니다" line followed by a gunshot. I actually didn't like the ending though...

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
That's cool!

I already have my Kakaotalk notification sound as the creepy doll doing her "무궁화 꽃이 피었읍니다" line followed by a gunshot. I actually didn't like the ending though...
I'm watching the final episode tonight. I've learned pretty much through the years to anticipate being disappointed in any series ending but the unique premise of the show has really been great!

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm watching the final episode tonight. I've learned pretty much through the years to anticipate being disappointed in any series ending but the unique premise of the show has really been great!
Yes, it's kind of like 'Saw' meets 'Hunger Games' lol. I saw an interview with the director who made a good point on how he wanted to keep the games simple so viewers could focus on the characters and relationships. That was a good move. Especially for attracting a global audience.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00