Player Discussion: Aatu Raty (2021 52nd OA)

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
So... if he were to stay in Finland, does it have to be in Karpat? OR, can he be loaned to another team? Not that I'm suggesting that SHOULD be done. I'm just curious on how all of that works.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
So... if he were to stay in Finland, does it have to be in Karpat? OR, can he be loaned to another team? Not that I'm suggesting that SHOULD be done. I'm just curious on how all of that works.

It would all be in conjunction with Karpat's plans.

Not sure if this is what you're getting at, but the Isles would not be able to dictate where he plays in Finland. His contract is with Karpat.

Loaning a player to another team or to a team in the 2nd league certainly isn't unheard of.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It would all be in conjunction with Karpat's plans.

Not sure if this is what you're getting at, but the Isles would not be able to dictate where he plays in Finland. His contract is with Karpat.

Loaning a player to another team or to a team in the 2nd league certainly isn't unheard of.

CL, what type of role do you see Raty playing with Karpat, assuming he plays well and shows he belongs?

Will he get at least top-9 minutes or be (perhaps unfairly) buried behind veterans?

Any gut feeling on expectations for him by Karpat and/or quotes from the coaching staff?

Reactions: buud

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
CL, what type of role do you see Raty playing with Karpat, assuming he plays well and shows he belongs?

Will he get at least top-9 minutes or be (perhaps unfairly) buried behind veterans?

Any gut feeling on expectations for him by Karpat and/or quotes from the coaching staff?

From what I'm gathering, there's a top 9 spot there for him to lose. But the 4th line isn't far behind the 3rd talentwise and there are plenty of other contestants for a top 9 job. He's definitely one of the guys they'd most likely be able to push out of a job. So, it's up to him.

But Karpat - and Liiga teams in general - don't really have the financial and sporting situations that would allow them to bury a talent like him behind, say, a much more experienced, veteran line-up. Karpat does have 7 or 8 established Liiga forwards of class, including two North Americans, then there is a whole lot of younger talent, some of which is drafted.

He'd have a very difficult time making his way into their top six, but a regular 3rd line role is there for him and the expectation is that he'll grab - and excel in - it.

But the organization does have a handful of drafted U20 players, so he's got his work cut out for him.

Last edited:

Mara

May 10, 2011
Actually neither. His name is actually spelled with the a with dots on it meaning it's more like the aaah sound while y in Finnish is more like the short "u".

Name sounds something like RAAT eh.

A good rule of thumb: finnish ä is the a in "black" (or rat) and finnish y is the u in "dude". If it's one y it's a (really) short "dude" and if it's double yy it's a regular "dude". So he's the "ratdude".

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
My uncle and I call him R2D2, but I guess we should be calling him R2 Rat2 ? Or R2 Rat-eh ?

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
I saw a tweet that Raty is coming to the isles training camp,then returning to play in Europe for the 2021-2022 season.
I'd be happy with Aatu seeing and playing with the big boys here for a few week, so that's good news. I think he'll actually benefit from the smaller surfaces in NA.

This pick is the one that has the potential to keep the party bumping on offense for longer than I thought. I see the window for this current roster (what we know of it anyway) as two years to win a cup. After that, several key pieces on offense will be too far out of their ideal window to expect to win ... unless some of the young offensive pieces come to life. Holmstrom and, particularly, Raty. If this guy is ready - and some of the young D step up around the same time - then an O-core of Mat, Wally and Tito, along with the D-backbone of Pelech and Pulock should be able to keep us as contenders as supplemented.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'd be happy with Aatu seeing and playing with the big boys here for a few week, so that's good news. I think he'll actually benefit from the smaller surfaces in NA.

This pick is the one that has the potential to keep the party bumping on offense for longer than I thought. I see the window for this current roster (what we know of it anyway) as two years to win a cup. After that, several key pieces on offense will be too far out of their ideal window to expect to win ... unless some of the young offensive pieces come to life. Holmstrom and, particularly, Raty. If this guy is ready - and some of the young D step up around the same time - then an O-core of Mat, Wally and Tito, along with the D-backbone of Pelech and Pulock should be able to keep us as contenders as supplemented.

It's too bad the isles had no prospect camp,but I agree that getting Raty over and playing against nhlers and other top youngsters will be something to look forward to. Let the isles coaches get a look at him and tell him what they want him working on to improve.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Kärpät has played 5 games during the preseason. They have won one game in the shootout and lost four.

Räty has been playing in four of the games, always as center in the 3rd line. Only one secondary assist from him so far.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Kärpät played another preseason game against Luleå yesterday. Lost 0-4.

Kärpät has only scored 9 goals in 6 games during the preseason. 5 of the goals came in the game where Aatu Räty didn’t play.

A bit concerning.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
I think it's becoming evident that he may not fit the team dynamics. He's great when away from that team, but crappy on it?? Doesn't make sense to think that he just doesn't fit in their plans. That doesn't mean he's not learning, just not necessarily in the way we'd like. I hope he comes over sooner rather than later.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
His team is underwhelming and that’s concerning.

The 2013-14 season Dal Colle was great so we drafted him . 14-15 he was also great. Then in 2015-16 Oshawa was a bad ream and he had only 8 goals in 30 games and we were concerned . He got traded to a good team and finished with 27 goals in 30 games . What does this all mean ? What does this mean in relation to Raty ? I don’t know but I had a pint to this . I mean point .

stay safe all .... LGI

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
The 2013-14 season Dal Colle was great so we drafted him . 14-15 he was also great. Then in 2015-16 Oshawa was a bad ream and he had only 8 goals in 30 games and we were concerned . He got traded to a good team and finished with 27 goals in 30 games . What does this all mean ? What does this mean in relation to Raty ? I don’t know but I had a pint to this . I mean point .

stay safe all .... LGI

In Dal Colle’s case it meant he couldn’t produce on his own, even against kids. I wouldn’t compare Räty’s situation to Dal Colle though… but I’m afraid Kärpät will sign a bunch of veterans, limiting Räty’s ice time, if they don’t get their shit going soon.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
In Dal Colle’s case it meant he couldn’t produce on his own, even against kids. I wouldn’t compare Räty’s situation to Dal Colle though… but I’m afraid Kärpät will sign a bunch of veterans, limiting Räty’s ice time, if they don’t get their shit going soon.

Do you think this increases the likelihood of him joining Bridgeport this year?

Reactions: MYIslanders

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Do you think this increases the likelihood of him joining Bridgeport this year?

He has said that his intentions is to stay in Finland this season. During the preseason he has been the third line center, and so far his line has produced one goal. If Kärpät decides to sign another center the situation might change and if he becomes the 13th forward or gets demoted to the juniors, like during the last season, it wouldn’t surprise me if he comes over. But it’s still early… Hopefully the whole team is starting to play better during the regular season.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Yesterday the Finnish league started. Kärpät won the first league game of the season with 6-2 against JYP.

Aatu Räty didn’t play. Not sure if he didn’t play because he prepared for the NHL camp… or other reasons. Preparing for the camp by not playing hockey sounds strange though. However, the Swedish players who are invited to attend the NHL camps played in the SHL yesterday.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad