Player Discussion: Aatu Raty (2021 52nd OA)

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
We do need to see more out of Wilde.

The complicated ankle sprain and his very mediocre "24-game" season in the AHL have basically tempered everyone's expectations.

In his case, the proof will be in the pudding. Dmen need time and he'll get it (if he's not part of a trade), but at some point in the next two seasons, he needs to show that there's something there that is heading to the NHL, because his pro play to date has not indicated that.

2nd rounders:
Going to be VERY interesting to see how Iskhakov does in Mannheim this season. It's an absolutely loaded team and they are going for not only the DEL title, but the Champions Hockey League title as well. Will he thrive and basically do everything and more that Stützle did there the season before last? Or will he get lost in the numbers.

His season in Finland was an overall positive step in his development, as a hot start was tamed by a long drout, only to see him turn it up over the stretch run and in the playoffs.

Speaking of his time in Finland, do denote that he played for the same team as Liukas. So, looks like that pick was another little bit of that typical Islander "prospect-nepotism", much like what we've seen in the past with Waterloo and Sarnia.

Wilde badly needed reps and he didn't get them due to injury and to Covid the last 2 years. The tools are certainly there, he needs to finally get some stability and get those reps now. Cultivating him is worth the investment, RHD's carry insane value that only benefits us in the long run. I hope he has a complete and productive year this year in the AHL, he becomes an NHL factor in 2022-2023 when a decision is made on Mayfield next off-season.

Iskhakov still intrigues me, but not holding my breath. I really don't like smurfs and I never have.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Wilde badly needed reps and he didn't get them due to injury and to Covid the last 2 years. The tools are certainly there, he needs to finally get some stability and get those reps now. Cultivating him is worth the investment, RHD's carry insane value that only benefits us in the long run. I hope he has a complete and productive year this year in the AHL, he becomes an NHL factor in 2022-2023 when a decision is made on Mayfield next off-season.

Iskhakov still intrigues me, but not holding my breath. I really don't like smurfs and I never have.
I wanna say that Wilde comes into the fold next season and he has a strong 2021 campaign for the bridgeport isles

Reactions: CRYHAVOC and buud

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
i am predicting that BP has a better than average year. i like our team, and a winning attitude is infectious.
I think they'll at least be better than trash. Hopefully we see Skarek improve and we get to see our offense blossom, especially w/Jenkins and Holmstrom

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Does that mean he’s coming to the US next year?
Not necessarily. Since there is a transfer agreement with the Finnish leagues, he can be signed with us and still play there. It's really only when signing from the KHL or NCAA that it indicates they will necessarily be playing for the Islanders organization (though, technically they could still be loaned to a league with a transfer agreement, e.g. Ho-Sang last season).

Buy either way, glad to see him signed.

Reactions: Hazard78 and buud

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Thats nice, i love this draft pick for the isles,
Just like knies for toronto. I cant wait to see where he’s going to play, i think another in finland would be good

Reactions: Ippenator

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
The Islanders could've waited a year to sign him to an ELC after his Karpat contract expired as 19 year old. They want him now as an 18 year old. I think they want him on Long Island or Bridgeport.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
The Islanders could've waited a year to sign him to an ELC after his Karpat contract expired as 19 year old. They want him now as an 18 year old. I think they want him on Long Island or Bridgeport.
I could be wrong but I believe it’s either Islanders or back to Europe. Either way, very encouraging sign they got him locked up.

Could be wrong again here, but if he doesn’t play at least ten games, at his age, the contract will slide giving us an additional year.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
nothing wrong with this.

i'm sure that Karpat would be great for the kid, for 1 year, provided they feel he is being utilized properly. if not, at least they have the power to bring him over here.

Mara

May 10, 2011
nothing wrong with this.

i'm sure that Karpat would be great for the kid, for 1 year, provided they feel he is being utilized properly. if not, at least they have the power to bring him over here.

This year Kärpät decides where he plays unless he plays with the Islanders, which obviously won't happen. Next year the Islanders can send him to the AHL if they want to. For now he starts the season as 3C and we'll see how things go from there.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

If Kärpät is willing to provide Raty with big minutes (assuming he earns them of course), and won't just play less-talented vets ahead of him, then leave Raty with the team for the coming season.

Otherwise I guess the best path for his development would be via the AHL, if Kärpät isn't going to give him a shot to play in all phases of the game.

All things being equal, I think I would rather let him play in a more familiar environment, build up his confidence and then maybe come over to North America next year.

In the past, under the prior Isles regimes, I believe some of the Euro prospects definitely had trouble adjusting to life (and lack of community) in Bridgeport/Fairfield County, which hindered their development.

Reactions: 12Dog and Ippenator

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If Kärpät is willing to provide Raty with big minutes (assuming he earns them of course), and won't just play less-talented vets ahead of him, then leave Raty with the team for the coming season.

Otherwise I guess the best path for his development would be via the AHL, if Kärpät isn't going to give him a shot to play in all phases of the game.

All things being equal, I think I would rather let him play in a more familiar environment, build up his confidence and then maybe come over to North America next year.

In the past, under the prior Isles regimes, I believe some of the Euro prospects definitely had trouble adjusting to life (and lack of community) in Bridgeport/Fairfield County, which hindered their development.

Under Lou and Trotz, the trend has definitely been for the Isles to develop their top kids under their noses in Bridgeport. While the 2018 draftees were returned to respective Junior teams, that was the first year of this regime. Holmstrom was brought over immediately after the 2019 Draft with reports that he was slated for the HV-71 Junior team and not the Men's team. Dobson, Wahlstrom, and Wilde all played pro hockey (NHL or AHL) in their D+2 seasons. Bolduc was in the AHL in his D+2 season as well.

If the Isles aren't happy with his potential role and ice time with Karpat, they probably have no hesitation to bring him over right away.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Under Lou and Trotz, the trend has definitely been for the Isles to develop their top kids under their noses in Bridgeport. While the 2018 draftees were returned to respective Junior teams, that was the first year of this regime. Holmstrom was brought over immediately after the 2019 Draft with reports that he was slated for the HV-71 Junior team and not the Men's team. Dobson, Wahlstrom, and Wilde all played pro hockey (NHL or AHL) in their D+2 seasons. Bolduc was in the AHL in his D+2 season as well.

If the Isles aren't happy with his potential role and ice time with Karpat, they probably have no hesitation to bring him over right away.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

One caveat with Raty is that Finland has a transfer agreement with the NHL.

If the Isles want him in the AHL and Raty himself wants to take that step, I don't think Karpat would stand in his way. But otherwise, the NHL team has to respect whatever current contract the player has with his respective team, which in Raty's case still has a year on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad