Waived: Aaron Volpatti waived; claimed by Capitals

arsmaster*

Not bad for a guy who put up only 18 pts in the BCHL.

No doubt, hard to feel bad for a guy with marginal hockey skills, yet turned them into a 4 year free ride at an IVY league school, and has been getting paid 6 figures to play 5 minutes of hockey a night in this best league in the world.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Last I heard Pinizzotto suffered a set back and reinjured whatever he was healing (groin?). Was supposed to play for the wolves a couple weeks ago but couldn't. Doesn't seem like this is a move to make room for him.

Electric Eye

Aug 2, 2009
The child in me says: OHHH A TRADE IS COMING!!!
The realist in me says: We're signing Arnott or calling up someone

Same here... Wouldn't be a fan of bringing in Arnott, who I don't think has the footspeed to play effectively with our speedy wingers but I don't think it'll be a call-up either. Ebbett has played well (at least judging from his statline) since being sent down but I don't see the point in putting him in Schroeder's spot. I do think it's possible they're interested in trying out Schroeder on Kesler's line and may be looking to Arnott for the 3rd line role.

I think with the Malhotra situation shaking out the way it has, the Canucks may just want a bit more center depth, especially in case Schroeder's effectiveness diminishes in a more playoff-like atmosphere. Can't imagine anyone else who would be getting called up except *maybe* Sweatt. Can't see it being Pinizzotto as he definitely would've gotten a few games in with Chicago after his injury before getting promoted.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
No doubt, hard to feel bad for a guy with marginal hockey skills, yet turned them into a 4 year free ride at an IVY league school, and has been getting paid 6 figures to play 5 minutes of hockey a night in this best league in the world.

Hockey scholarships at ivy leagues aren't necessarily free rides, they're financial aid based institutions. You pay based on what your parents make, and unless you're super broke you'll be paying a good chunk of your tuition.

John McClane

Apr 23, 2012
Calgary, AB
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Aaron Volpatti on waivers for 2 reasons. 1. Get him icetime. 2. Open roster spot for Steve Pinizzotto, coming off injured non-roster status.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Aaron Volpatti on waivers for 2 reasons. 1. Get him icetime. 2. Open roster spot for Steve Pinizzotto, coming off injured non-roster status.

That sounds like speculation to me. Pinizzotto has played zero hockey in over a year. They would let him get used to the AHL first.

Outside99*

You have to think they're picking up a RHD. Though why keep Barker then?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

Please God no. Pinnizzotto hasn't been healthy in a year, why do we think he'd be NHL ready? He's barely played in the big leagues at all in his career.

Do not want.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I have a midterm tomorrow, and tomorrow is when Volpatti passes through waivers. Could this be a repeat of the Hodgson trade last year? (isn't it the 1-year anniversary?)

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Once again shows how "connected" Bobby Mac is to Vancouver.

Found the News 1130 tweet:

@News1130Sports: #Wolves forward Steven Pinizzotto had a setback and did not play his 1st game of the season over weekend.

@News1130Sports: Pinizzotto continues to battle a lengthy groin injury.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

@News1130Sports: #Wolves forward Steven Pinizzotto had a setback and did not play his 1st game of the season over weekend.

The new Canucks glass man. Has this guy been healthy at all?

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops

I am shocked how out of touch he is with the Canucks. If one is going to get some info on the Canucks its Freidman these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad