Confirmed with Link: AA has made the opening night roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This is very un-Red Wings like. First, we hear that AA and Mantha weren't good enough to make the team. Then both Frk and Pulkkinen are waived. Then we hear that one of AA/Mantha has made the team...but we aren't even sure which one yet?

This actually smells like the Wings are trying to lay the ground for a trade.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
This is very un-Red Wings like. First, we hear that AA and Mantha weren't good enough to make the team. Then both Frk and Pulkkinen are waived. Then we hear that one of AA/Mantha has made the team...but we aren't even sure which one yet?

Would still love to see a Tatar for Fowler deal go down, And then both AA and Mantha can make the team we upgrade the D and still get better wingers as well.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I haven't heard or read anything like this. It was complete silent until Frk was waived.

You didn't see the Blash quote about how Mantha and AA need to do more to earn their spot? I saw it on Malik's a day or two (or three, I honestly don't remember) ago. That quote is part of the reason I find this move so odd, along with Pulk being waived. Something seems to have really changed over the past few days.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
You didn't see the Blash quote about how Mantha and AA need to do more to earn their spot? I saw it on Malik's a day or two (or three, I honestly don't remember) ago. That quote is part of the reason I find this move so odd, along with Pulk being waived. Something seems to have really changed over the past few days.

Maybe that was all a test? Like, say these guys need to "work harder" and see what happens? Do they keep working hard or do they fall off and give up because they aren't in the NHL?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

The whole thing is a little strange for sure. You wouldn't be crazy for speculating that a trade is looming, and with the way they were practicing I'd say it would involve either Nyquist or Sheahan. But it could also just be that Blashill made some comments that he shouldn't have and got "overruled" by Holland, for example Blashill was probably not the one pushing for Pulkkinen to be waived.

I also find it strange and a bit concerning that we're less than 3 days from the season opener and they don't know if Kronwall will be able to play or not. Just shut the guy down until he's 100%...

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Hope it's Mantha. I loved how he played last year. I think the only way for him to get better is to play in a bigger league.

Though AA is probably more ready.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It should be AA. He gives the Wings C flexibility (yeah, he's better suited on a wing, but he can play C and flip-flop with Helmer). I wouldn't be upset if it were Mantha instead... but I like what his AHL time has done to his complete game and if a little bit more seasoning as THE guy down in Grand Rapids makes him a better player, I'm okay by it.

Both are ready, but I think AA is more so.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Maybe that was all a test? Like, say these guys need to "work harder" and see what happens? Do they keep working hard or do they fall off and give up because they aren't in the NHL?

I think Pavels Dog is more likely closer to the truth:

The whole thing is a little strange for sure. You wouldn't be crazy for speculating that a trade is looming, and with the way they were practicing I'd say it would involve either Nyquist or Sheahan. But it could also just be that Blashill made some comments that he shouldn't have and got "overruled" by Holland, for example Blashill was probably not the one pushing for Pulkkinen to be waived.

I also find it strange and a bit concerning that we're less than 3 days from the season opener and they don't know if Kronwall will be able to play or not. Just shut the guy down until he's 100%...

I certainly don't mind the turn of events, but it's a strange - and necessary - move. How good this team is rests largely on how much our kids improve throughout the year. Moving another high ceiling (though also arguably lower floor) kid rather than a vet into the top9 is the right move at this point.

And, yeah, the Kronwall thing isn't looking good. Scary part is that it's possible he'll never be 100% and it'll be more of a question of whether we should try to get him to 90% or have to live with 80%.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Perhaps Athanasiou asked for a trade after he proved himself last year. If he did - he did it in London - then good for him. :yo:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
A lot of people will be pissed when AA/Mantha are wearing a suit in the presser instead of a jersey on the bench. With Nyquist, Tatar, Zetterberg and Abdelkader pretty much locked in as wingers and Larkin and Nielsen as top centers that leaves only bottom 6 roles. The third line now has Helm, Vanek and Sheahan all 'above' AA or Mantha and they are both ill suited, especially Mantha, to be on a line centered by Stonehand Luke.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I think Pavels Dog is more likely closer to the truth:

I certainly don't mind the turn of events, but it's a strange - and necessary - move. How good this team is rests largely on how much our kids improve throughout the year. Moving another high ceiling (though also arguably lower floor) kid rather than a vet into the top9 is the right move at this point.

And, yeah, the Kronwall thing isn't looking good. Scary part is that it's possible he'll never be 100% and it'll be more of a question of whether we should try to get him to 90% or have to live with 80%.

Kronwall is done, I don't think he will make it past the season. I only hope big E takes note and goes as well.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
A lot of people will be pissed when AA/Mantha are wearing a suit in the presser instead of a jersey on the bench. With Nyquist, Tatar, Zetterberg and Abdelkader pretty much locked in as wingers and Larkin and Nielsen as top centers that leaves only bottom 6 roles. The third line now has Helm, Vanek and Sheahan all 'above' AA or Mantha and they are both ill suited, especially Mantha, to be on a line centered by Stonehand Luke.

Both AA and Mantha could be sent down without having to clear. There's no way they keep them up to just sit in the pressbox.

That would be stupidity beyond words. There would be unanimity even among the posters here on how dumb a move that would be.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Great news and a positive to see for the club. It's something that I'm genuinely interested in seeing play out over the course of the season.

I would guess Miller. Or someone's injured and we just haven't heard about it.

If it's one of Miller/Ott I'm wondering who is getting bumped to the fourth line.

I am not convinced that they will bump a fourth liner. I could easily see them in the press box and spelling Z when he needs days off or until other top-nine injuries pop up. I think people generally have far too much faith in Z's health. Furthermore, none of the fourth liners can really play up a line effectively.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I am not convinced that they will bump a fourth liner. I could easily see them in the press box and spelling Z when he needs days off or until other top-nine injuries pop up. I think people generally have far too much faith in Z's health. Furthermore, none of the fourth liners can really play up a line effectively.

Blash specifically was quoted as saying "on the roster" and not "in the line-up." I'm sure HF will have the usual hissy-fit if it happens but AA could very well sit as the 13th forward, big deal. I agree about Zetter, he may even want off until our home opener next Monday.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Kronwall is done, I don't think he will make it past the season. I only hope big E takes note and goes as well.

Kronwall is smarter and was a better skater than most/all of our current defenseman. That should buy him some time. I think he's got this year and next for the team if he's given appropriate minutes as a #5.

Ericsson, on the other hand, hopefully doesn't see ice past this season. He should be bottom pairing now and #7 next year and beyond.

The bonus here is that XO, Smith, Marchenko, and Sproul should get a chance to grab some cheese. If there were ever a season where Wings prospects might be given a chance they don't deserve, it should be this year with the defenseman.

I foresee injuries to E, Kronwall and even to March, with XO sucking and both Sproul and Smitty finally breaking out.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Kronwall is smarter and was a better skater than most/all of our current defenseman. That should buy him some time. I think he's got this year and next for the team if he's given appropriate minutes as a #5.

Ericsson, on the other hand, hopefully doesn't see ice past this season. He should be bottom pairing now and #7 next year and beyond.

The bonus here is that XO, Smith, Marchenko, and Sproul should get a chance to grab some cheese. If there were ever a season where Wings prospects might be given a chance they don't deserve, it should be this year with the defenseman.

I foresee injuries to E, Kronwall and even to March, with XO sucking and both Sproul and Smitty finally breaking out.

But for Kronwall now it's both knees. The NHL keeps getting that much faster, man it seems very easy for the game to have already passed him by. We'll see. Last season he was already nearly our worst D. What if he returns and is slower, playing may be impossible. Hate to be this negative but his deterioration sounds serious.

Holland is feeling heat from all around. They have to win and stay competitive, no "want" about it. If Ericsson is as bad as fans here say he could be sat. I believe this is a pivotal year desperate actions could take place.

I think Ericsson had a decent pre-season. For example none of our prospects outplayed him by that great of a margin. Sproul is a quicker version of E but he's light and much weaker. Ericsson can make smart plays. They're barely noticed because it's second nature for him (and us watching) the last 10 years. I still recognize his place alongside Lidstrom for years as a teammate. That's probably what has allowed E to survive, Red Wings systems and puck support. Honest question: could Ericsson continue to be an NHL player outside of Detroit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln