Confirmed with Link: AA has made the opening night roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Well, it happened. Opening night roster doesn't mean opening night lineup.

As per Blashill, AA will be in the lineup (sooner than later) or sent down.

"Ken's going to monitor the situation and if they're playing lots up here there won't be an issue," Blashill said. "If they're not, we'll make sure where they can get down there and play. Whichever guy stays, whether he's in the lineup in Game 1 or not, he'll either get an opportunity so (soon) or we'll get him down and get him playing."

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
As per Blashill, AA will be in the lineup (sooner than later) or sent down.

Good, he needs to be playing hockey. Not eating hot dogs at Phil Kessel proportions in the box.

The kid has skill and needs to be given the appropriate minutes to really show his full potential.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Makes losing Frk and Pulkkinen for nothing a little bit easier to swallow, assuming he gets any sort of role (read: more than 9 or 10 minutes of ice time per game)

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Well this is good news amidst the "giving away all our forwards for nothing nonsense." Can't wait for AA to get out there. I don't know there's just something about this guy that think he's gonna be a star for us. Even more so than Tatar and Nyquist. He's such an explosive player.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
He made the team and if no Zetterberg he starts on the 1st line!!! :banana:

HF should be celebrating instead it feels like a funeral. :laugh:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He made the team and if no Zetterberg he starts on the 1st line!!! :banana:

HF should be celebrating instead it feels like a funeral. :laugh:

Why? He's not that special to be honest. Yeah he's fast, but if you actually watched him in the preseason, teams are already starting to plan for him (like with all fast players they force him wide). If he were a top level talent, like Larkin, there would be excitement, but, right now he's part of the faceless horde of middling wingers over the last few seasons.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Why? He's not that special to be honest. Yeah he's fast, but if you actually watched him in the preseason, teams are already starting to plan for him (like with all fast players they force him wide). If he were a top level talent, like Larkin, there would be excitement, but, right now he's part of the faceless horde of middling wingers over the last few seasons.

Really? You know you're in the minority with that little of expectation. He and Mantha are the two players called for in the demand for a Wings youth movement (even though people forget we've just promoted Marchenko and Larkin this year). He's projected onto every future lineup for the next 15 years. He's a unique player that draws interest from around the NHL. I'm excited we don't know his ceiling.

I will agree Athanasiou is not even mature yet but it took 1 game to know his upside is far higher than Pulkkinen and Jurco.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

If opposite teams are planning for him, just can't wait how Larkin and Nyquist will explode against easier matchups.

That is what depth makes for a team.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013

Wow, I think you missed the highlight reels from last season.

"Faceless horde" describes the guys who were let go.

That's the last thing to describe AA.
He's a unique talent whose skills will soon be obvious even to you.

Visit your optometrist soon so you don't miss this season too.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Let's pump the brakes a tad. AA is definitely exciting to watch, but he's definitely not in the same category as Larkin for overall potential to impact the franchise. YMMV, but I'd say that second line winger with some serious flash is a more reasonable ceiling.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Let's pump the brakes a tad. AA is definitely exciting to watch, but he's definitely not in the same category as Larkin for overall potential to impact the franchise. YMMV, but I'd say that second line winger with some serious flash is a more reasonable ceiling.

This board is full of people who watch the highlight reels. AA is great for those. The average forward in this league is usually somewhere between the 2nd and 4th line. I see AA filling that role. I don't see him as anything more or less than that. Sorry that I don't think he's as exciting as Larkin, and I don't see him as a real irreplaceable player. In the end he's a good asset to have, but not untouchable, not a special talent, and isn't nearly as exciting to me as Larkin.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This board is full of people who watch the highlight reels. AA is great for those. The average forward in this league is usually somewhere between the 2nd and 4th line. I see AA filling that role. I don't see him as anything more or less than that. Sorry that I don't think he's as exciting as Larkin, and I don't see him as a real irreplaceable player. In the end he's a good asset to have, but not untouchable, not a special talent, and isn't nearly as exciting to me as Larkin.

It's not just highlight reels.

Athanasiou has higher shots/60 and better iFenwick/60 rate than Larkin who shoots like mad. AA shoots even more.

And those shots are going in, lucky or not, his goal/60 was at same level than Ovechkin's. By far the best from our team at last season.

I know, small sample size, and easy competition and I know, small ice-time, not comparable. But still, there's something. Interesting to see him getting more IT.

If he just skates and shoots with decent shot from good position, because he has that awesome speed to find open spots, it helps the team. Doesn't have to have IQ. It creates chaos and loose pucks for his linemates. And some pucks could go straight in.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Watch him get more IT (as everyone is pushing for) and...crickets.

That's an acceptable outcome for many of us. If he's put into a position to succeed but fails to do so, that's better than slowly nursing him along until the last minute of waiver eligibility and deciding if he's going to crack the 3rd line or be put on waivers.

However, if he does succeed, you have a top 6 player on a very friendly cap contract OR you just generated an actual trade asset that other teams will be interested in acquiring.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
That's an acceptable outcome for many of us. If he's put into a position to succeed but fails to do so, that's better than slowly nursing him along until the last minute of waiver eligibility and deciding if he's going to crack the 3rd line or be put on waivers.

However, if he does succeed, you have a top 6 player on a very friendly cap contract OR you just generated an actual trade asset that other teams will be interested in acquiring.

Fair point. Correct deployment is usually determined by a trial-and-error basis.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It's not just highlight reels.

Athanasiou has higher shots/60 and better iFenwick/60 rate than Larkin who shoots like mad. AA shoots even more.

And those shots are going in, lucky or not, his goal/60 was at same level than Ovechkin's. By far the best from our team at last season.

I know, small sample size, and easy competition and I know, small ice-time, not comparable. But still, there's something. Interesting to see him getting more IT.

If he just skates and shoots with decent shot from good position, because he has that awesome speed to find open spots, it helps the team. Doesn't have to have IQ. It creates chaos and loose pucks for his linemates. And some pucks could go straight in.

But as you mentioned, his limited ice time really skews all his stats. And NHL advanced stats are still in their infancy, so they are still not as good a predictor as Sabremetrics. I am not against AA, but I think too many people are awed by him and make grandiose pronouncements about his skill sets and his future that I don't think are justified. I really hope he does well, but, I am also realistic when I say I think of him as a middle six winger in this league. Which to me makes him fundamentally less exciting/special/fun as Larkin.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Shaman, I get where you're coming from regarding the hype around AA, but to say he's another plug is ignoring his high level talent he flashed routinely in limited ice. Yes, limited ice, but so many flashes so quickly is usually a great sign. We never saw plays like that from the other middle line guys through the system like Abby or Helm. That's what is exciting about his ceiling. He shows great offensive instincts at high speed, which usually translates into sustainable offense in the modern NHL.

My big hope is that AA and Larkin turn into a sort of Bergeron and Krejci tandem. Neither of those guys are elite scorers like McDavid or Eichel will be, but they make life hell for the opposing team and generate a lot of pressure every damn shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad