Confirmed with Link: AA has made the opening night roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I asked it in the other thread so I'll ask it here. Assuming one of AA or Mantha is only on the big club to actually play and not sit in the press box, who is the odd man out?

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Don't see pulk clearing, and I'm guessing AA will be the one to make it, but then one of Ott/Miller has to be sitting which I didn't expect Blash to do.

I asked it in the other thread so I'll ask it here. Assuming one of AA or Mantha is only on the big club to actually play and not sit in the press box, who is the odd man out?

Gotta assume Ott/Miller, unless Holland actually has a trade up his sleeve which would be a real shocker.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Don't see pulk clearing, and I'm guessing AA will be the one to make it, but then one of Ott/Miller has to be sitting which I didn't expect Blash to do.

Gotta assume Ott/Miller, unless Holland actually has a trade up his sleeve which would be a real shocker.

Don't see Mantha playing in the 4th line. This has me believing a Top-9 spot is opening for them.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Don't see Mantha playing in the 4th line. This has me believing a Top-9 spot is opening for them.

I was thinking Sheahan to the 4th line, with Ott/Miller out, though I really have no idea.

I really hope Miller sits, he really just brings nothing but blocking shots on the pk, we have plenty of better guys who can pk.

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Fantastic-ish news. If it's not the pressbox seat, I'll happily eat crow on a lot of stuff I said this offseason.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Great news and a positive to see for the club. It's something that I'm genuinely interested in seeing play out over the course of the season.

I would guess Miller. Or someone's injured and we just haven't heard about it.

If it's one of Miller/Ott I'm wondering who is getting bumped to the fourth line.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
Great news and a positive to see for the club. It's something that I'm genuinely interested in seeing play out over the course of the season.

I would guess Miller. Or someone's injured and we just haven't heard about it.

If it's one of Miller/Ott I'm wondering who is getting bumped to the fourth line.

Doubt it is an injury or we would have an extra roster spot for a bit? Unless it wasn't a long enough injury to qualify for IR(less than 7 days).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I think it's Miller. Imo Ott has outplayed him, even though both have looked good together.

Sheahan was used at 4th line on the last practise game, so I think he joins the 4th line. He kind of gives same kind but better package than Miller there. More offense.

Athanasiou/Mantha goes to TOP9.

Zeta - Nielsen - Tatar
Akader - Larkin - Mantha/Athanasiou
Vanek - Helm - Nyquist
Sheahan - Glendy - Ott
(Miller)

This would be most ideal.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I think it's Miller. Imo Ott has outplayed him, even though both have looked good together.

Sheahan was used at 4th line on the last practise game, so I think he joins the 4th line. He kind of gives same kind but better package than Miller there. More offense.

Zeta - Nielsen - Tatar
Vanek - Helm - Nyquist
Sheahan - Glendy - Ott
(Miller)

I actually hate Larkin with double AA. I think they play too similar. I'd like that line-up if it were Mantha.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Zeta - Nielsen - Tatar
Vanek - Helm - Nyquist
Sheahan - Glendy - Ott
(Miller)

Wouldn't mind this at all.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Seems very unlike them to go this route but at worst, AA should've been on this team anyway. Mantha showed flashes last year but even he's getting to the point of not needing much more time in the AHL. These guys are legit talented. I think Pulkkinen was AHL good.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I actually hate Larkin with double AA. I think they play too similar. I'd like that line-up if it were Mantha.

I think it's Mantha who'll stay up, because he gives more cap flexibility with his higher cap number against the LTIR space on 1st day...

... but it can be only for the first day and then technical cap numbers will work better for rest of the season. Then swap Mantha to AHL, imo Athanasiou has been better at pre-season and is more complete player.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Could see AA/Mantha starting in the pressbox but still great news. Wasn't very excited about seeing Pulkkinen waste more chances.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Seems very unlike them to go this route but at worst, AA should've been on this team anyway. Mantha showed flashes last year but even he's getting to the point of not needing much more time in the AHL. These guys are legit talented. I think Pulkkinen was AHL good.

If you watch the video of Mike Green's goals from last season, you'll notice how many come with Anthony Mantha on the ice - generally in front of the net. I get we have Vanek playing a similar role but man I want Mantha. I think the PP improves with a new coach and Vanek, but I really want Mantha there. I have no idea how Blash came to the conclusion that watching tape he noticed that Mantha wasn't directly part of the recent and brief success of the PP. Even after sending him down, immediate struggles, same conclusion.

I loved Miller the past few years with the great PK. Thing is, he's coming off two back-to-back knee injuries, one a torn ACL. Maybe split with Otter.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
This is awesome, as long as Blash doesn't pull the same crap as last year and play AA (or Mantha possibly in this case) 6 minutes a night. Gotta let these guys play and work through their mistakes. Give them a REAL shot in the top 9 and don't bench them or cut their minutes the first time they mess up. They aren't going to get better if they don't play thought their mistakes.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Would assume any ways until Jurco comes back, That Ott and Miller would rotate as the 13th forward. If it's AA then more then likely Sheahan drops to the 4th line and AA is on the 3rd line with Helm and Vanek Mantha was rotating in with Larkin as well.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
This is awesome, as long as Blash doesn't pull the same crap as last year and play AA (or Mantha possibly in this case) 6 minutes a night. Gotta let these guys play and work through their mistakes. Give them a REAL shot in the top 9 and don't bench them or cut their minutes the first time they mess up. They aren't going to get better if they don't play thought their mistakes.

Speaking of Blash, I know Kenny said he doesn't think we will compete but could this be his last year if the same thing happens as last year?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Baby steps.

Yeah, just noticed, we didn't build the roster through waiver priorities, even if we could have.

We could easily protect Pulkkinen keeping him off waivers and sending both Athanasiou and Mantha to Griffins. But we didn't do it that way.

So there's real competition. Has been for 3 summers. Larkin stole a spot as a waiver-exempt player at last summer, Jurco did it year before. AA/Mantha now.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Agreed 100%.

I think if it's AA, keep him away from Larkin and on the 3rd line. Ease him into it. Give him 10-12 minutes a night and let him just burn fools with easier matchups. Just don't give him 8-9 like last season.

If it's Mantha, whatever, give him Larkin and let's see what he can do.

Not exactly sure why Mantha might be the guy though. Didn't look particularly impressive this year or last year. Glimpses, but only glimpses. I've gotta think it's AA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->