Post-Game Talk: A wounded honey badger still don't care; wins game 2-1 over Oilers

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The D would be interesting if it was

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Biega
Hamhuis - Pedan

from the start.

This is an excellent point....no way they'd have only 14 wins by now...this is the blueline that could have been out of training camp...and don't forget, Corrado and Sbisa wouldn't look bad either as a depth right and left-side d-man....instead of that train-wreck Willie and Jimbo saddled us with to start the season.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The D would be interesting if it was

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Biega
Hamhuis - Pedan

from the start.

It doesn't work like that though, Pedan needed time in Utica to start the season. He missed a ton of time last year and needed to play some important minutes in Utica to develop his game. The guy who played last night is a better version than the one who started the year.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I think there are some pieces. Edler, Hutton, Sbisa, and Pedan will be a solid left side next season. Tanev and Biega should be two of the right side spots. There is a gaping hole for a RHD on that second pairing. It's too bad that a Hamonic deal isn't really a fit, he would be an excellent fit.

I'd like to see Jordan Subban get a crack, I think he'd be the perfect Weber replacement at both ES and PP.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Went to the game last night. Some guys who may not have gained praise but I felt deserved it: Baertschi, Hutton, Prust especially...I was wrong about him. He may be slow as all hell, but he can make plays. Pedan was everything as advertised, and deserves to be a full timer next season at least but hopefully as the bottom pairing guy. Weber, actually. Jumped up into the play lots which I like out of a dman. Got caught flat-footed a few times though esp by RNH.

Markstrom I thought had a goaltenders game. No real moment that stuck out for me, but just remained calm and positionally sound. I would really like to see him as the starter by season's end. I have no idea what management sees in Miller. He's holding this team back from the playoffs.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I'd like to see Jordan Subban get a crack, I think he'd be the perfect Weber replacement at both ES and PP.

He needs to show that he's a player in the AHL before he's ready for the NHL. Subban has potential, but he's not ready at this point.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It doesn't work like that though, Pedan needed time in Utica to start the season. He missed a ton of time last year and needed to play some important minutes in Utica to develop his game. The guy who played last night is a better version than the one who started the year.
Yeah, that's true. Biega sure doesn't fall under that same boat, though.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
The jump from the AHL to the NHL is enormous. I want to see at least two full AHL seasons have been progressing before giving him much more than a game or two along the way.

I want Subban to be given a shot next pre-season at least.

Give him a long pre-season with the Canucks, like what we did with Hutton. If he doesn't stick he doesn't stick.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Someone mentioned splitting up Tanev and Edler to balance things out and I don't think that's a terrible idea.

Edler - Biega
Hamhuis - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa
Weber
Bartkowksi

Having Hamhuis with Tanev again would be excellent for Hamhuis, especially of Hamhuis isn't getting re-signed.

Next year, although unpredictable with Benning at the helm and prospect progression:
Edler - Biega
Hutton - Tanev
Pedan - Sbisa
NotWeber
NotBart

It would be great if there was another top 4 RHD and Sbisa wasn't overpaid but these are the cards dealt.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Biega might have played well, but his underlying numbers with Edler are god awful.

Biega is more suited next to Hutton than he is next to Edler IMO. He won't face the heaviest competition.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Biega might have played well, but his underlying numbers with Edler are god awful.

Biega is more suited next to Hutton than he is next to Edler IMO. He won't face the heaviest competition.
Oh really? Didn't bother looking them up but I'll take your word. Getting Hammer back with Biega and keeping Hutton on the bottom pair with favourable minutes may be the best option then. Just get Weber and Bartkowski far away from this team.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Someone mentioned splitting up Tanev and Edler to balance things out and I don't think that's a terrible idea.

Edler - Biega
Hamhuis - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa
Weber
Bartkowksi

Having Hamhuis with Tanev again would be excellent for Hamhuis, especially of Hamhuis isn't getting re-signed.

Next year, although unpredictable with Benning at the helm and prospect progression:
Edler - Biega
Hutton - Tanev
Pedan - Sbisa
NotWeber
NotBart

It would be great if there was another top 4 RHD and Sbisa wasn't overpai but these are the cards dealt.

Yeah that's what I was thinking especially for this year, elder and biega look good hammer and Tanev should be real solid shutdown, and Hutton and Sbisa look good together, the only thing for next year I wouldn't want to saddle pedan with Sbisa I think he needs to play with Tanev. So put Hutton with Sbisa and pedan with Tanev, if they're comfortable playing there off side.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
The jump from the AHL to the NHL is enormous. I want to see at least two full AHL seasons have been progressing before giving him much more than a game or two along the way.

why not just see if hes ready now, and if now, play him in the ahl more, and then see if hes ready later etc

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Anyone notice Willies new haircut?

Who cares....I'd rather see Green's bouffant behind the bench...and do you follow Green's post-gamers on the Comets website?....there's a hockey analytical brain there.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The game Hank couldn't sit down for:

mekcGYP.png

vlygAc3.png

4thr9Xx.png

pKuHdhz.png

Hansen eating the iron
Hansen's first goal!
Hansen's OT winner

Ad