Post-Game Talk: A wounded honey badger still don't care; wins game 2-1 over Oilers

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Loved the look of Pedan....makes you realize how much they miss a physical, mobile d-man.....he'll have his ups and downs as a rookie, but seems to see the ice well and has pretty decent wheels for a big man....another great project work by Green in Utica.

Nov 1, 2011
Great game by the guys...with guys like Pedan, McCann, and Markstrom playing well, it's pretty fun to watch.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Most of the forward players played great today, effective hockey and clearly outworked the Oilers. One player I have to point out is Vey, who actually played a pretty solid game and with Cracknell and Prust formed a 4th line that was actually a threat to score many shifts (got that post in the first).

Only bad players are the usual suspects. Bartkowski and Weber (on the defensive end, was pretty good on the offensive end). How did Bartkowski even make this team in the start of the season, he's just awful on a consistent basis.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Before we get too big of a head... or get ready to abandon the stealth tank plan... It was the edmonton oilers and their atrocious defense. Let's see how we do against the kings with an actual NHL defense.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Most of the forward players played great today, effective hockey and clearly outworked the Oilers. One player I have to point out is Vey, who actually played a pretty solid game and with Cracknell and Prust formed a 4th line that was actually a threat to score many shifts (got that post in the first).

Only bad players are the usual suspects. Bartkowski and Weber (on the defensive end, was pretty good on the offensive end). How did Bartkowski even make this team in the start of the season, he's just awful on a consistent basis.

Bartkowski was honestly very good in preseason.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Why do people enjoy beating the Oilers so much?

It's like beating up your younger brother......not much to write home about lol

Because they deserve so.

An utter mess of a team that's so bad, the fabric of universe and the totality of existence could barely hold on. And yet they are being rewarded repeatedly with picks after picks after picks. Imagine Homer Simpson, he caused...what, 17 meltdowns in 20 years? And he was never punished - the Oilers are kinda like that except every time they cause a meltdown they get a promotion.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Now we understand why Julien scratched Bartkowski so much last season :laugh:

I thought him and Weber were pretty bad defensively but decent offensively I guess (Weber had a great chance in OT)

Nuge and Eberle were awful :laugh: Hall and Draisaitl continue to carry the team.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Hard to understand what Vrbata is doing out there. Just lobs the puck towards the net most times he gets it and is easily grabbed by the goalie. Maybe he's padding his advanced stats in a contract year, haha.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Because they deserve so.

An utter mess of a team that's so bad, the fabric of universe and the totality of existence could barely hold on. And yet they are being rewarded repeatedly with picks after picks after picks. Imagine Homer Simpson, he caused...what, 17 meltdowns in 20 years? And he was never punished - the Oilers are kinda like that except every time they cause a meltdown they get a promotion.

in this analogy we are frank grimes? sounds about right.

was at the game tonight. pedan skates like a gazelle. just glides beautifully out there. looked a little over his head read-wise to start, but was fine by mid-game. if he fills out, he could really be something special.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
As OT went on I busied myself looking for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3xmqbNsRSk - to symbolize how it felt to cheer for Vancouver in OT, but then the Danish Dynamite scored and the 'Nucks won it. Felt good to do the McDavid's in OT!

The Good:
- Markström
- Hansen
- Pedan (and WD's quote about his play lol)
- Most of the 2nd period

The Bad:
- Henrik is obviously playing hurt
- Missing the net 200000000 times (ish)
- OT is still an enormous weakness
- Neither of these two teams are good enough for the playoffs IMHO

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
in this analogy we are frank grimes? sounds about right.

was at the game tonight. pedan skates like a gazelle. just glides beautifully out there. looked a little over his head read-wise to start, but was fine by mid-game. if he fills out, he could really be something special.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Biega should stay up over Weber and Bart from this day forth imo, he's a better passer, more poise and assertive with the puck and makes less mistakes.

That first hit from Pedan i did not catch who it was at first that threw it and thought 'woah, finally one of our d actually hit someone, who was that?' lo and behold, it's Pedan. If it were up to me I'd keep him up with the team, force feed him so many minutes a game increasing incrementally and attempt to mold him into the second coming of Mattias Ohlund. The occasional nice hit by Edler or Sbisa is not fulfilling the void i have in terms of my desire for a big, physical, intimidating defensemen on the team. If Hamhuis comes back any time soon and/or Tanev hopefully they can provide him with some stabilizing presence for a partner.

Hansen is the man, son. If i ever buy another jersey that will likely be the one i get. Been consistently bringing it more or less for years on this team, so underrated. Can't remember him ever being awful, even when his scoring production has not been at this good a pace. Granted the Sedin effect has no doubt a lot to do with it.

Baertschi was flying tonight i thought, did everything but score, could've had a couple at least, pleased to see how he's progressing
lately. Horvat too more noticeable out there tonight.

Markstrom solid tonight too.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
One thing this game made me realize is how little guys like Higgins, Sbisa or even Burrows are missed. Kenins, Biega and the other call ups slot in so seamlessly. I would only keep Burrows (because of his history, yes) to a team friendly deal. Let's get even "younger", JB, because the difference between drafting top 10 and going out in the first round of the playoffs won't be replacing Higgins and Sbisa/Weber/Bartkowski or even Vrbata. This team is all Sedin, Edler-Tanev and the young guys' energy - build around it.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
So Markstrom is now our no 1 goalie? (Even when Miller returns?)

Doubt it. Last season we chose a still-injured Miller over Lack the second Lack faltered after playing the second toughest workload in the entire league (only behind Dubnyk) and carrying us to the playoffs.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Pedan looked good.

Hansen obviously reaching legendary status in vancouver

Markstrom scared the crap out of me but makes it work so... Think he's earned more starts.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It is actually quite funny how replaceable Higgins, Burrows and Miller are. Didn't miss a beat with them out.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
It is actually quite funny how replaceable Higgins, Burrows and Miller are. Didn't miss a beat with them out.

Do you not think we play better without them.

I genuinely think the offense goes limp with higgins being on the ice. Too much floating and being fed powerplay or top 6 time.

Knowing desjardins he will boost his minutes to attempt to bust the slump. Or give into his vetran complex and swap with hansen for the lawls

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Considering the situation how Pedan got his first NHL game couple weeks ago it's ironic that, at least to me, he looks like a winger that's been asked to fill in for defense.

Tools are there but fundamentally a very poor player. Slow thinker who is constantly behind the play and chasing it, and then in other cases overplaying it. That's been his major gripe in Utica aswell for the last couple of years but hey, I guess if Sbisa made it, anyone can.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

I'm glad people on HF are hopping on this bandwagon.

---

The good:
Hansen

Marky - best goalie on this roster, once again will need to be the #1 if the Nucks are serious about a playoff push

Bae - a lot more east-west play in the o-zone. That was his bread and butter in Utica and I'm glad he's getting more confident

Edler - a rock back there

Biega/Pedan - did an admirable job filling in. Biega is NHL calibre no doubt about it

Prust - great 4th line game, used his body against the RNH line to cycle in the o-zone, can't ask for much more

Lidster (D coach) - making miracles happen out there

The bad:
- Dank taking faceoffs
- quiet game from Kenins

The ugly:
- Yannick Weber turning a dominant shift from the Nucks into an almost penalty shot for the Oilers
- The Oilers D

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
So when tanev is back do you split him and edler if biega can handle top 4 duty? Also I don't think pedan needs to fill out check out his pregame interview that guy is jacked

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Do you not think we play better without them.

I genuinely think the offense goes limp with higgins being on the ice. Too much floating and being fed powerplay or top 6 time.

Knowing desjardins he will boost his minutes to attempt to bust the slump. Or give into his vetran complex and swap with hansen for the lawls

Absolutely. He is a massive anchor out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad