Post-Game Talk: A Winner Is You... Jets beat Canucks 4-1!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Q: is Buff worth what he's getting paid?

I'd sure say yes

Yes and he has not aged nearly as fast as some feared.

Really helps to lose him for few games to realize what the D core looks like without him. I think that was an eye opener for fans.....I am hoping it was an eye opener for those who said get rid of Trouba now if he doesn’t want to be hear.

We are 3 D men deep and we fall off a cliff after that. We need all of them healthy or this team is going to struggle to hang with the big boys.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I was at the game and I seen Wheeler had the puck bounce right off the top of his head on a flip in that went like 40 feet in the air.
Everyone in my section was laughing out loud.

Did that even make tv.
lol

yup. Saw it clearly...funny.

Reactions: tntkid

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Was this the first game that the 4th line was over 10 minutes in TOI (I know Lemieux was just under 9 but Roslovic and Perreault were both over 10).

Reactions: sipowicz

Jetster231

Mar 6, 2018
Perfection

Attachments

• ZomboMeme 18102018223119.jpg
    ZomboMeme 18102018223119.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 22

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Really nice game by many players.
Copp scores as a bit of a chin flip to @sipowicz for being so hard on him ;)

Laine did a lot of great things. Had he converted that mini breakaway on the PP (that Morrissey I think gave him with the pass behind their D) we may have seen an immediate Laine explosion (confidence wise).

One thing he could have improved on was getting his pocket picked from behind exiting the zone. The first time it happened I thought the player made a pretty good steal. The 2nd time it happened I thought Laine knew it was coming and really hoped he would have shielded the puck better or Ben stronger there.

Oh well that is among the things he needs to get better at.

Ehlers probably wishes he went for the wrap around now. The attempt to fool the goalie with taking it back to the near side was a good attempt and probably works most of the time.

On to the next one.
BTW I caved and set my alarm last night. Pulled a sneaky one to not let on that I had stayed up to 5 am again.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Really helps to lose him for few games to realize what the D core looks like without him. I think that was an eye opener for fans.....I am hoping it was an eye opener for those who said get rid of Trouba now if he doesn’t want to be hear.

We are 3 D men deep and we fall off a cliff after that. We need all of them healthy or this team is going to struggle to hang with the big boys.
I thought that Buff's game might actually "age" well. He's a strong skater, but so much of his effectiveness is his high hockey IQ, great stick skills, physical strength / size. It's not inconceivable that he will still be effective as a 35+ player, and get another contract from the Jets.

Reactions: ps241

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I really like what is happening with ELL - they are developing the areas that needed to be developed.

Ehlers Ozone play was much better - he was paying attention to his line mates and developing plays rather than driving the zone and running out of room
Laine looks like his game is filling out nicely - there were a couple of instances where he looked really comfortable with the puck in the corner and along the walls.
Little is finding it easier with the 3 of them playing a better all around game - and that has always been the objective.
Really great to see this line moving forward - finally.

I'd also mention the 4th line - this line really filled a gap in the Jets game.
It's early but I like what they bring - skill and grit.
If they continue, expect to see their minutes rise as PoMo becomes more comfortable with them during certain points in the game.

Top line needs to shorten their shifts - their forecheck is so aggressive, they are burning out in the ozone and then getting caught on the eventual turnover / transition game - usually nothing left by the time the are in their own end.
A shorter shift should fix this - Wheeler needed to lead the line change.

Nice game -

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah. I'm not at all concerned about Buffs deal. After this year we only have two years left. We are at least getting three real good years from him.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Hopefully Wheeler wakes up from his Slumber and starts to play. His 5v5 play has been downright terrible. Scheif looked like he was skating in mud last night too.
Aside from last year, Wheeler always starts slow. It’s not from lack of effort because he skates his ass off, it’s more that it takes his brain a while to figure out how to play smart to go along with hard.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Shaky start, indifferent 2nd but that 3rd period is the Jets from last year, impressive.

Different team with Buff on the ice, he gets things moving so well and is such a catalyst for the teams transition game. Big man had a huge game, even with having to drag Chiarot all over the ice. I seem to think Buff is skating better than ever this year, he looks lighter.

ELL, what can you say, this is what I've been waiting to see from Laine and Ehlers for quite some time. Ehlers was fantastic off the rush and was great in possession in the Ozone, held onto the puck and supported really well, he was everywhere. Maybe the best game I've seen from Patrik Laine in so many ways, he was looking so dangerous out there. Skating hard, playing down low, battling along the wall, being patient with the puck, strong in his own end and through the middle of the ice, he was terrific. Little was just fantastic, really got that line driving from down low in the Dzone, was quick and decisive with the puck and was driving the lanes all night. He looked much more open to help push the offense and it's made a big difference, they created so much off each other in a number of different ways. Little's crossbar was the ultimate for me, it was the perfect example of those guys playing tighter to one another and supporting each other at the right times. It was a textbook cycle, using all the elements that line possesses and what many of us have been saying for a while. Laine did a great job of protecting and supporting the puck down low, Ehlers came in in support, Little was down near the goal line in case it came down low again but then slipped behind the D when Ehlers went up top and Nik found him with a beautiful pass. Too bad that didn't find the net, it was awesome.

CLT strong as usual, thought they were a little loose through the middle in the first two but looked in top form in the 3rd. Other than a couple of questionable decisions in his own end I thought Tanev had a very strong game.

CSW were ok, much better in the 3rd than through the first two. Connor and Wheeler especially got rolling and moving a bit more. Scheifele was pretty meh last night, although he finally started getting low to support in the 3rd and it completely changed their breakout, they were quick and clean up the ice once he started doing that. He spent the first two periods doing to much gliding and watching, still anticipating the turnover. Their rotation and spacing is still off on the forecheck and tracking back through the neutral zone, largely as has been pointed out because they are looing to cheat for offense by trying to force turnovers. The consequence is though is they commit too many guys to the puck and if they don't gain it, they give up tons of space and odd man rushes.

PRL, nice to see them play more than 6 minutes and the end result showed how important it is for that to continue. Perreault was really good and looking more like the player we're accustomed to. Roslovic did some really good things with the puck and was looking to create. Had a good 3rd in his own end, tidy and quick with the puck, was in the right spots. Lemieux brings an added element to that line, bull strong along the wall and in front of the net. He seemed to be doing a good job of getting under guys skin last night but staying on the right side of the line.

44- fantastic again, no surprise, he's so good in so many areas. Really like him on the 1st PP unit, I think that's going to work out well.

8- Thought he was very good, other than the Boeser goal when he picked the wrong time to see if his skates were still tied. I think a lot of the really important things he does get taken for granted, he controls a lot out there.

7- good thing he plays with Buff, did an ok job on the PK and held the line in the Ozone pretty well. His gaps still kill me though.

70- struggling

57- typical Myers game in his own end but he was top notch in the Ozone, really strong at coming down and supporting the puck to keep it in and kept many plays alive. Made some great plays to get down low himself and created some chances. His offensive skills are impressive at times.

33- nuff said.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Shaky start, indifferent 2nd but that 3rd period is the Jets from last year, impressive.

Different team with Buff on the ice, he gets things moving so well and is such a catalyst for the teams transition game. Big man had a huge game, even with having to drag Chiarot all over the ice. I seem to think Buff is skating better than ever this year, he looks lighter.

ELL, what can you say, this is what I've been waiting to see from Laine and Ehlers for quite some time. Ehlers was fantastic off the rush and was great in possession in the Ozone, held onto the puck and supported really well, he was everywhere. Maybe the best game I've seen from Patrik Laine in so many ways, he was looking so dangerous out there. Skating hard, playing down low, battling along the wall, being patient with the puck, strong in his own end and through the middle of the ice, he was terrific. Little was just fantastic, really got that line driving from down low in the Dzone, was quick and decisive with the puck and was driving the lanes all night. He looked much more open to help push the offense and it's made a big difference, they created so much off each other in a number of different ways. Little's crossbar was the ultimate for me, it was the perfect example of those guys playing tighter to one another and supporting each other at the right times. It was a textbook cycle, using all the elements that line possesses and what many of us have been saying for a while. Laine did a great job of protecting and supporting the puck down low, Ehlers came in in support, Little was down near the goal line in case it came down low again but then slipped behind the D when Ehlers went up top and Nik found him with a beautiful pass. Too bad that didn't find the net, it was awesome.

CLT strong as usual, thought they were a little loose through the middle in the first two but looked in top form in the 3rd. Other than a couple of questionable decisions in his own end I thought Tanev had a very strong game.

CSW were ok, much better in the 3rd than through the first two. Connor and Wheeler especially got rolling and moving a bit more. Scheifele was pretty meh last night, although he finally started getting low to support in the 3rd and it completely changed their breakout, they were quick and clean up the ice once he started doing that. He spent the first two periods doing to much gliding and watching, still anticipating the turnover. Their rotation and spacing is still off on the forecheck and tracking back through the neutral zone, largely as has been pointed out because they are looing to cheat for offense by trying to force turnovers. The consequence is though is they commit too many guys to the puck and if they don't gain it, they give up tons of space and odd man rushes.

PRL, nice to see them play more than 6 minutes and the end result showed how important it is for that to continue. Perreault was really good and looking more like the player we're accustomed to. Roslovic did some really good things with the puck and was looking to create. Had a good 3rd in his own end, tidy and quick with the puck, was in the right spots. Lemieux brings an added element to that line, bull strong along the wall and in front of the net. He seemed to be doing a good job of getting under guys skin last night but staying on the right side of the line.

44- fantastic again, no surprise, he's so good in so many areas. Really like him on the 1st PP unit, I think that's going to work out well.

8- Thought he was very good, other than the Boeser goal when he picked the wrong time to see if his skates were still tied. I think a lot of the really important things he does get taken for granted, he controls a lot out there.

7- good thing he plays with Buff, did an ok job on the PK and held the line in the Ozone pretty well. His gaps still kill me though.

70- struggling

57- typical Myers game in his own end but he was top notch in the Ozone, really strong at coming down and supporting the puck to keep it in and kept many plays alive. Made some great plays to get down low himself and created some chances. His offensive skills are impressive at times.

33- nuff said.

Great summary :thumbu:

Reactions: Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
giphy.gif

Crossed fingers or not, don't "jinx" it. And I say this as someone who doesn't believe in jinxes. ;)

They seem to be modifying their play: they're supporting each other better, and have gelled a lot better for the last 3. If they continue doing what they've been doing, I don't see why the good play shouldn't continue.

All that and Little is just skating harder/faster. Laine has taken his non-shooting play to another level. He's started to make things happen instead of waiting for it to come to him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hopefully Wheeler wakes up from his Slumber and starts to play. His 5v5 play has been downright terrible. Scheif looked like he was skating in mud last night too.
I agree. That's exactly how I saw their play last night, and Wheeler's play overall. I still think that they are playing too fancy with too much emphasis on getting easy points.

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Watching Little skate and compete lately really makes we think he was more injured last year than most of us know.

I've had the same thought - even though there were some denials of that. Its a pretty clearly visible difference.

Reactions: Ducky10

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Watching Little skate and compete lately really makes me think he was more injured last year than most of us know.
maybe you are right but I thought for the most part and especially in the playoffs last year he skated well and competed hard but had such bad luck. I liked his playoffs but him and Perreault were snake bit.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
There's hope for Little Ehlers and Laine as a line I think. Them playing bear one another and using each other is showing some signs of chemistry. They were our best line tonight.

Little looks great this season
Wasn't convinced by the Carolina game where they said he played well, but yes, Little has found his Mojo again woohoo. Great game by that whole line, but lots of hustle by all forwards & making sure they didn't lollygag to get back defensively was huge.

Hard to say who was most improved line though between Little's line & Roslovik's - LaMieux makes an enormous difference. And of course, Buff - wow what a diff maker.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016

Look at that spacing, puck protection, tight support, perfect triangles. With all the other things those guys can do, them developing this type of game should scare the crap out of the league.

Laine is a guy who historically finds space to set up for a shot. Stastny was a great fit because he created space for Laine with little picks and plays.

THIS is what happens when Laine makes space for other players. You got everyone including the goalie watching Laine and Little has enough time to open a resort in the slot.

The lack of one timer actually hurts my bones though . Little did that twice yesterday .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad