Post-Game Talk: A Winner Is You... Jets beat Canucks 4-1!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
OMG! Maurice pulled out the "This is not a rec league where everyone pays their money and gets equal icetime" line again when asked when asked why the difference between the icetime for the 4th line between the Edmonton and Vancouver games :laugh:. It created quite a stir last time he said that.

Reactions: Jet and GNP

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I do think that's a thing... Maurice's teams always seem to start slow, and some of the top players come out slowly.

There definitely seems to be *something* at work. I looked at the difference between the Jets CF% and xGF% between the first 4 weeks of the season and the rest of the season and it's night and day. Every season the Jets have registered huge gains in the xGF% over their first 4 weeks of the season and huge gains in Corsi For % over their first 4 weeks in 2 out of the 4 seasons in the Maurice era.

hABYW9v.png

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There definitely seems to be *something* at work. I looked at the difference between the Jets CF% and xGF% between the first 4 weeks of the season and the rest of the season and it's night and day. Every season the Jets have registered huge gains in the xGF% over their first 4 weeks of the season and huge gains in Corsi For % over their first 4 weeks in 2 out of the 4 seasons in the Maurice era.

hABYW9v.png
You don't usually come across as a Maurice fan, but I see this as a big thumbs up to Maurice. Since he has been coach we have continued to load the line up with young players every season that are given big roles early on. Some initial struggles but with patience and with repetition they start excelling. I think we are now seeing this with Rosie and to a lesser extent Lemieux. Morrissey is also taking a huge leap forward this season.

Reactions: Ducky10 and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You don't usually come across as a Maurice fan, but I see this as a big thumbs up to Maurice. Since he has been coach we have continued to load the line up with young players every season that are given big roles early on. Some initial struggles but with patience and with repetition they start excelling. I think we are now seeing this with Rosie and to a lesser extent Lemieux. Morrissey is also taking a huge leap forward this season.

Very much agree with your post Bogo--I think your going a little bit "short" on Lemieux--I think he will surprise. As for Roslovic, and Morrissey, I totally agree.:)

We are very nicely positioned right now-from Goaltender(s) right up to center ice-"great depth."

Reactions: KingBogo

Whileee

May 29, 2010

hABYW9v.png
Very interesting. Matches the eye test. They just seem sluggish coming out of camp.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
No doubt. The Jets still need to improve their D, and Scheifele's line needs to do a better job of controlling play in their own zone and the neutral zone...

2018/19, 5v5:

CF%:

81-55-26 = 47.5
27-18-29 = 50.9
9-17-13 = 51.8

Scheifele's line is getting a heavy dose of offensive zone starts. Lowry's line is getting a heavy dose of defensive zone starts. Too many shift sequences start with Scheifele's line in the offensive zone, end up in the defensive zone where Lowry's line takes over and moves the play / face-off back into the offensive zone.

Scheifele's line is -5 in on-ice penalty differential. Lowry's line is even, and ELL is -1.

I don't think it's so much a lack of effort, but rather a lack of details and focus on making solid defensive plays and prioritizing a solid zone exit vs. trying to "chip and fly". In my view, it's a very fine balance, and Scheifele's line hasn't got the balance right yet. I still expect them to get it sorted out, though.

Last season (Scheifele and Wheeler together), 5v5:

First half of season: CF 48.2 (54% GF)
Second half: CF 55.7 (68% GF)

With so few games played the Preds games penalties are likely skewing are penalty numbers a bit more than they need to.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
many mentioned while Buff was out that ELL was getting stuck with the weaker D pairs who couldn’t transition the puck as well. I noticed last game that they had Morrissey / Trouba with them quite a bit. Likely the cause effect of more even ice time or PROOF that Maurice is a regular reader of our board ;)

Reactions: Tommigun

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Wish I could do a GDT folks but I have sight seeing to do.

Really choked that BOTH Toronto games are while I’m away. Looks like the theme I have planned will have to wait until next year. Unless of course these teams decide to meet in the Finals :naughty:

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Yeah he would have potted the Buff goal if Buff hasn’t come streaking, as they were standing side by side. He was often open in the slot which will result in good things.

The Oilers loss may have been good for the team in the end, as it woke guys up and made them work for the points again. I think they were taking things for granted considering how tentative the team had looked.

I initially thought Buff had “stolen” the goal from Laine. But the angle of the replay they showed made it look like that puck would have been quite a bit behind Laine. As in he would have had to reach back to stop the puck on his backhand and then made a play on a goalie who is likely in better position by then. I don’t think that exact pass would have been an easy tap in for him? Maybe another angle would show that to be wrong?

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Hi everyone, Penguins fan visiting over here. I recently saw someone post a Fortnite game log with the username Nalle_Puh29, is that REALLY Patrik Laine's account or was that some kind of inside Jets joke? lol.

From looking through the game log I see that he plays a lot, even before his hockey games. I just wondered if that was legitimately his actual account.

Hey,

I think that is his account I don’t know for sure. I know the info of what his account is was talked about somewhere. The Canucks fans were tracking how many games he played in the afternoon before our last game.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I initially thought Buff had “stolen” the goal from Laine. But the angle of the replay they showed made it look like that puck would have been quite a bit behind Laine. As in he would have had to reach back to stop the puck on his backhand and then made a play on a goalie who is likely in better position by then. I don’t think that exact pass would have been an easy tap in for him? Maybe another angle would show that to be wrong?

The pass was to Buff who was streaking so if Laine had tapped it in he’d stolen Buff’s goal. But both of them had an open net, so it was up to Little to just serve any of them. So there were two guys in open positions to score, which is great that they found so much open space!

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The pass was to Buff who was streaking so if Laine had tapped it in he’d stolen Buff’s goal. But both of them had an open net, so it was up to Little to just serve any of them. So there were two guys in open positions to score, which is great that they found so much open space!

Well Buff already has a contract and needed a goal so give it to him ;)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I really like the way Maurice is handling things. I have seen a change in his coaching style since our team started getting stronger and more mature. I may not always agree with his lineup decisions, but I really think he deserves the accolades of the hockey community having him in the Jack Adams conversation. We've seen many very talented teams suck (hello Oilers) and some real duds do extremely well (hello 2006 Hurricanes).

Coaching matters.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

hABYW9v.png
That’s actually quite an interesting chart. Gives me comfort. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad