Post-Game Talk: A Winner Is You... Jets beat Canucks 4-1!

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Like it all but not so sure Wheeler woke up, he's Forrest Gump like out there, lots of running (skating) around but zero gets accomplished. Doesn't seem to be any chemistry between anyone on the top line!

Not true, he skated so hard to the bench that he just avoided a yet another minus goal, standing still on ice when that goal was scored, giving the minus to Laine instead :laugh:

So instead of having +1 -7 = -6 5-on-5, Wheeler still has only +1 -6 = -5, leading the Jets. That's something, right?

In all seriousness, CSW really, really needs to be broken. And don't be misleaded by "good play by ELL". Yes, players on ELL are playing very well, but it's still not clicking optimally as it should.

CSL
ESW

Try those. And continue with more even TOI as against Canucks. I haven't checked stats, but I guess even the 4th line got some minutes this time.

Reactions: sipowicz

Critical Mass

Feb 6, 2011
I'm sure it's been mentioned already but I sure like seeing JoMo on that first PP unit with Buff on the 2nd. Might be magic.
I liked that too.

And with 2 dmen on pp2, I’d like to see Buff parked in front of the goalie to screen / deflect point shots. They did this for a few games last year and the year before and I thought it was incredibly effective. He’s so big and strong that he’s a real distraction to the other team’s pk.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
What was that? :D More of that please.

First ELL has a few decent games, now they have an excellent game. Best game I've ever seen from them (Little as well). Good job to all those guys to making it work. The needle in the crap-o-meter might be turning back a bit. Now show us more, much more, and against good teams as well. Good ****! (I'm not saying this line should be kept together in any case, but I'm glad they are starting to make the most of it, if they can keep this up, because they have a mountain of garbage games and handful of good games).

Buff don't ever leave again (and don't let it go to your head, we need good Buff).

CSW doing CSW things.

Wheeler delivering the sauce on the PP like a boss. Laine slowly starting to get his sights in order, could have easily had more goals.

Bottom-6 lines were a treat to watch as well.

Noice.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Yeah Little.

Just attack attack attack.

The dynamic duo are alright, dont need to baby sit them.

Just play offense offense.
The defense will come naturally for your line.
The 2 are not dumb players. They are smart and have good hockey iq in them.

When you are passive the line sinks.
So attack attack attack yeaaahhh. :naughty:

Go Jets Go.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Like it all but not so sure Wheeler woke up, he's Forrest Gump like out there, lots of running (skating) around but zero gets accomplished. Doesn't seem to be any chemistry between anyone on the top line!

I think you need this Sip.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
:rolleyes:

tenor.gif

Reactions: QuietContrarian

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Probably read where I said he should be benched for 2-3 games..........
To the people that were calling down Buff, do you see what a difference he makes?

Yeah it allows us to run two good pairs and that makes a substantial difference. Myers and Morrow were getting crushed when asked to play harder matchups.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Posted in another thread: 5v5 TOI and TOI averages for the last couple of games:

Average of TOIOpponent
PlayerCanucksOilersGrand Total
Mark Scheifele14.817.716.2
Kyle Connor14.415.915.1
Patrik Laine13.715.914.8
Brandon Tanev14.115.314.7
Nikolaj Ehlers13.215.614.4
Blake Wheeler14.314.114.2
Andrew Copp13.814.314.0
Adam Lowry13.614.314.0
Bryan Little12.514.313.4
Mathieu Perreault10.06.98.4
Jack Roslovic10.56.38.4
Brendan Lemieux8.96.07.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Decent 1st and 2nd periods, dominant 3rd period. ELL looked very good tonight - fantastic backhand shot and goal by Little. More of this, please.
Interesting. TOI much closer then many claim. Also went to check number of shifts and shift length also pretty equal across the forwards as well.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Great to see a win.

Second line kept possession, but still no even strength contribution

First line also in an even strength slump

Don't matter when we have CLT, apparently!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i'm on vacation for 2 weeks, so you (thankfully) don't have to hear me bleat this same thing over and over again.

but the first 5-10 games of the season are such a grab bag, and the standings reflect that.

i wouldn't take much from the on-ice results. guys will work their way out of or into things.

this is a dangerous team and our only weak spot would possibly be our D depth (Leafs say hello) and our penchant for taking penalties (The call against Wheeler was bunk).

also wondering what will happen with Vesalainen. I can see Lemieux drawing in regularly. he's had more puck-related results than Vesalainen. hasn't been a world beater, but mostly looks alright out there.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It’s not how you start although a better start would be nice... it’s how you finish and the team did just that.
Nice to get to bed relaxed and not wondering what’s wrong...
Maybe Ehlers can get his goal as he had a good game.
Little was very good

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I think Vesa should go beat up the AHL to develop his game, but will probably head back overseas for more money.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
So nice to see a balanced line up and to see some guys take another step this year. I had a hard time deciding how hard the competition was last night because I was prepared for a very bad Vancouver team, but they were fast and got a lot of very good looks. Definitely made us use our speed, and that is something that we have to keep doing, so this game was a good reminder of that. I was so happy for Little last night I just about jumped out of my chair. I've felt so bad for him lately.

I'm really curious about one thing regarding our play/strategy in the O zone though. Last night Laine was certainly making a point to be right at the top of the opposing crease about 6 times last night 5v5, which is nice to see for him to get involved down low. But Schiefele, Ehlers and Buff (can't recall who was on for the other times) all either skated around behind the net and passed back to the point or passed to someone behind the net or lost possession.

Why would you not recognize that a very dangerous player has made himself open, right at the top of the crease waiting for a pass or a deflection? I know it was at least 4 times, but it could have been 6.

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
That was a much better 60 minutes, first was a little blah but the 2nd and third looked more like the Jets we envisioned. I'm not worried about this team, I figured there would be some ups and downs early in the season to find that chemistry they had last year. Vancouver is also a much improved team from last year as well with some great young talent who play a fast game so a 4-1 victory is a great step forward. Little looked great out there and Ehlers looks like he's about to break out.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It makes a huge difference having Buff in the line up.

Ehlers moved the puck well tonight.

He is actually good enough to play well “and” make Chiarot servicable. That is next level up shit. The first part is what good players do but often they need a half assed partner. The second part is so much tougher to do and it’s why Buff is Buff.

Reactions: Jets 31

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
don't look now, guys, but Winnipeg's vaulted to FOURTH in the West with a solid 3 point lead over 9th place Edmonton, who has 2 games in hand!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah it allows us to run two good pairs and that makes a substantial difference. Myers and Morrow were getting crushed when asked to play harder matchups.

I think with Tyler if you put him with a player like Morrissey or Enstrom (when Tyler first arrived) he was a decent top 4 asset. Those guys both calm down a pair but his challenge is he needs to play with a talented D man to bring the best out of him. It’s not like Chiarot but Tyler cannot play in the top 4 with a lesser talent. When he is under duress in his own end he needs a calm guy to throw the puck to. Once the Jets are heading up ice he is actually pretty good.....he is at his worse when he is being forchecked hard and he needs a partner who handles that type pressure.

Reactions: gerbrown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad