Friedman: A Vatanen-Drouin deal makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Value is fine but fowlwr is a ufa next season and supposdly talks are going good with ducks so prob a 0 chance we move him unless talks go south
That might be why they would wanna move him though, either if he wants to test free agency, or if he wants more than what Anaheim is willing to pay and can easily replace him with the other D you have.

I'd be willing to roll the dice. 4M cap hit for next year helps us out for this year and then... well, he definitely won't make more than Hedman but next offseason would be interesting.

Still prefer that than Vatanen though. Fowler would definitely be a solid #2 for us, though he doesn't play on the right side, right?

nilssont

May 27, 2007
That might be why they would wanna move him though, either if he wants to test free agency, or if he wants more than what Anaheim is willing to pay and can easily replace him with the other D you have.

I'd be willing to roll the dice. 4M cap hit for next year helps us out for this year and then... well, he definitely won't make more than Hedman but next offseason would be interesting.

Still prefer that than Vatanen though. Fowler would definitely be a solid #2 for us, though he doesn't play on the right side, right?

No he doesnt. Also in 2015 when paired with Despres, who also is a lefty, Despres played the right side.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
No he doesnt. Also in 2015 when paired with Despres, who also is a lefty, Despres played the right side.
Shame. Hedman-Fowler would have been lethal. Then again, putting him on the second pairing still works wonders for our PP and getting the second line going as well.

I'd do it. Drouin for Fowler straight up.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Shame. Hedman-Fowler would have been lethal. Then again, putting him on the second pairing still works wonders for our PP and getting the second line going as well.

Idk that tamp would because its a rental basically.... thats a tough loss if he doesnt resign in tampa.

Either way it sounds like talks are going good with anaheim

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

All indications have Fowler and the Ducks looking close on a long term deal. Can't really afford to part with our biggest minute muncher, especially with Lindholm on the shelf to start the year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Steel + Vatanen for Drouin with maybe a small +. Ritchie and Jones don't do much for us, we don't play a heavy game so we don't need a big power forward, we also have Erne who's a lite version of a power forward. Vatanen is injured and Anaheim is in more need of trading him than Tampa is of trading Drouin. If Steel is a deal breaker than I look to Carolina, Minnesota or Vegas depending on who they draft to trade Drouin to.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
I don't see Anaheim adding Steel in any deal where they are also sending a young top 4 defense men the other way.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Friedman says that deal makes sense but LeBrun was on the radio today and he said his understanding is that the Ducks don't want money coming back in a Vatanen deal. They want young assets or a younger player with a small cap hit. If that's accurate then I don't see how Drouin makes sense because he's probably not taking less than $6M/yr on his new contract.

edit: This was during the first hour of Leafs Lunch if anyone wants to listen.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Friedman says that deal makes sense but LeBrun was on the radio today and he said his understanding is that the Ducks don't want money coming back in a Vatanen deal. They want young assets or a younger player with a small cap hit. If that's accurate then I don't see how Drouin makes sense because he's probably not taking less than $6M/yr on his new contract.

I just don't see why he gets that, he hasn't exactly earned that big of contract just yet. Kuch has done more and he took a cheaper bridge deal.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006

Well thats good news. Don't want to trade Drouin for Vatanen

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
I just don't see why he gets that, he hasn't exactly earned that big of contract just yet. Kuch has done more and he took a cheaper bridge deal.

There's no reason to believe Drouin won't accept a bridge deal. I think people are believing that because of his trade request but it's not at all related

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Steel + Vatanen for Drouin with maybe a small +. Ritchie and Jones don't do much for us, we don't play a heavy game so we don't need a big power forward, we also have Erne who's a lite version of a power forward. Vatanen is injured and Anaheim is in more need of trading him than Tampa is of trading Drouin. If Steel is a deal breaker than I look to Carolina, Minnesota or Vegas depending on who they draft to trade Drouin to.

Yeah, this trade only works if TB has identified Vatanen as the D they want and are willing to deal Drouin in return. If not, Anaheim will likely not be adding a lot to sweeten the deal. Losing a key prospect along with Vatanen is not very compelling when there are probably other offers BM is getting that will involve dealing only Vatanen. Drouin may have the highest ceiling but BM will not overpay to get it.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Your point that the Johansen-Jones trade was more recent than the Hall-Larsson trade still stands despite the Johansen-Jones trade not being more recent than the Hall-Larsson trade?

interesting approach

Also RyJo-Jones trade was Potential 1C for a potential 1D. Vatanen for Drouin isn't even close to that with Drouin holding far more potential. Ducks need to add.

Vatanen+ Kerdiles for Drouin?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Also RyJo-Jones trade was Potential 1C for a potential 1D. Vatanen for Drouin isn't even close to that with Drouin holding far more potential. Ducks need to add.

Lol, yeah we do that easily.

Which means Tampa doesn't.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Kerdiles doesn't have much value really...I'd be willing to add a better piece than that from an Anaheim perspective, Max Jones for instance.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

If that's who tampa wanted sure lol but I assumed they take back a good winger prospect over kerdiles or a good defense prospect

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

That's the other problem I'm guessing the owners want to go back to the internal cap(whatever that # may be) so they may look for a futures package and start trimming the money down.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

makes sense...although I think he'll have to settle for closer to $4 million I can see the Ducks looking at a less expensive option.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site

ducks would be insane to pass on drouin to save salary. there are plenty of other places to cut. looking at you stoner, bieksa, depres, perry, etc.

if they insist on steel, I pass, but pretty much anyone else I try to figure out a pick or prospect to make it work.

but if drouin is off the table I do hope they cut salary and resign eaves.

Jul 22, 2012
As much as I would love Drouin, I don't see it happening, fellow Ducks fans. It would take Fowler or Lindholm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad