Friedman: A Vatanen-Drouin deal makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Agreed... tho I might have Larsson on the no move list... but theo jones terry Ritchie nattinen would def be an acceptable add to vatanen from my perspective.

there are some HUGE differences in valuation among the players you mentioned. Ritchie and Nattinen are about as equal as Drouin and Erne! I'm fine throwing Nattinen into the deal but anything more is just an overpayment which BM will not do. Drouin is good and has great potential but his perceived valuation is a little crazy here on HF.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I agree with the exception of Ritchie. Our team lacks offense and wingers, and despite Drouin being excellent; Ritchie traded just creates another hole.

Disagree, Drouin replaces Ritchie... and already further along his development/prime then Ritchie is.

I'm guessing 1 of steel/terry/kossila/jones makes the roster next season... so them + drouin is more then enough offense to make up for the loss of Ritchie.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Agreed... tho I might have Larsson on the no move list... but theo jones terry Ritchie nattinen would def be an acceptable add to vatanen from my perspective.

I think it would be ill advised to move any of our top young D along with Vatanen, especially with Lindholm missing time to start the season. We've seen how injuries can pile up, we're already removing a big contributor and I believe it's best to hold on to the other top young pieces on the backend.

Vatanen + one of Jones or Terry + a pick if needed

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I came in thinking that the OP proposal was awful but this sounds better. It might actually be too much for Anaheim.

Well I figured there would be an add from tampa side depending on which player they were asking for, nothing crazy but something to balance it out.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I agree with the exception of Ritchie. Our team lacks offense and wingers, and despite Drouin being excellent; Ritchie traded just creates another hole.

I agree that Ritchie is the one of that group we'd like to keep the most, but we just need a Drouin/Duchene/Galchenyuk type of player badly enough that I'd be able to stomach it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think it would be ill advised to move any of our top young D along with Vatanen, especially with Lindholm missing time to start the season. We've seen how injuries can pile up, we're already removing a big contributor and I believe it's best to hold on to the other top young pieces on the backend.

Vatanen + one of Jones or Terry + a pick if needed

Ya I'm okay with that idea, but if they want Theodore over jones or terry I think it would be fine.

Lindholm + Montour
Fowler + Manson
Larsson + bieska
Stoner/welinski/megna/pettersson I assume would be our depth dmen.

We have Mahura who looks pretty promising as another future offensive dmen.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Disagree, Drouin replaces Ritchie... and already further along his development/prime then Ritchie is.

I'm guessing 1 of steel/terry/kossila/jones makes the roster next season... so them + drouin is more then enough offense to make up for the loss of Ritchie.

That's counting on too much youth. I think those prospects you mentioned are going to compete with Kase for a spot. If we added Drouin, roster looks something like this:

Ritchie-Getzlaf-Rakell
Drouin-____-Perry
Cogs-Kesler-Silfverberg
____-Vermette-____

I don't want any of those prospects competing being counted on in a top role. Judging by Murray's comments, I think he agrees.

I'd consider doing a trade involving Ritchie and Vatanen for Drouin, but Tampa would have to add significantly.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Ya I'm okay with that idea, but if they want Theodore over jones or terry I think it would be fine.

Lindholm + Montour
Fowler + Manson
Larsson + bieska
Stoner/welinski/megna/pettersson I assume would be our depth dmen.

We have Mahura who looks pretty promising as another future offensive dmen.

Remember that Lindholm starts the year on the shelf, so if we move Vatanen + Theo and assuming we can't afford any top 4 additions...

Fowler - Montour
Larsson - Manson
Stoner/Megna- Bieksa

It's asking a bit much of Larsson to assume he's ready for that, and we'd be in so much better of a position to let him and Theodore battle for that ice time rather than having to hand it to one of them by default.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That's counting on too much youth. I think those prospects you mentioned are going to compete with Kase for a spot. If we added Drouin, roster looks something like this:

Ritchie-Getzlaf-Rakell
Drouin-____-Perry
Cogs-Kesler-Silfverberg
____-Vermette-____

I don't want any of those prospects competing being counted on in a top role. Judging by Murray's comments, I think he agrees.

I'd consider doing a trade involving Ritchie and Vatanen for Drouin, but Tampa would have to add significantly.
I think in the situation I was talking Ritchie is gone... I think kase will play and I think 1 of those guys will make the team out right.... I also think vermette is taken by vegas in Expansion draft.

Some youth is going to have to make the line up no matter what we do, Ritchie or drouin doesn't change that and I doubt we have a ton of money to get any FA/s

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Remember that Lindholm starts the year on the shelf, so if we move Vatanen + Theo and assuming we can't afford any top 4 additions...

Fowler - Montour
Larsson - Manson
Stoner/Megna- Bieksa

It's asking a bit much of Larsson to assume he's ready for that, and we'd be in so much better of a position to let him and Theodore battle for that ice time rather than having to hand it to one of them by default.

Well ya I forgot bout lindholm, and I'm hoping he is back in time anyway :naughty:

but I think Larsson will be fine he looked pretty good last year in his limited games.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

Fowler - Montour
Larsson - Manson
Stoner/Megna- Bieksa

You can't pass on a player like Drouin though only because Lindholm will miss a month or two. We'd make due for what 10-15 games? Just like Vats value isn't severely going to be impacted because he's going to miss a few months to start the season.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Well ya I forgot bout lindholm, and I'm hoping he is back in time anyway :naughty:

but I think Larsson will be fine he looked pretty good last year in his limited games.

Yeah I'm not saying he won't be, but there's no guarantees. I've just grown to really appreciate the value of affordable young NHL ready D depth and really don't want to see ours shredded all at once.

You can't pass on a player like Drouin though only because Lindholm will miss a month or two. We'd make due for what 10-15 games? Just like Vats value isn't severely going to be impacted because he's going to miss a few months to start the season.

I'm not saying pass on Drouin if they want Theodore along with Vatanen, I'm saying find another way to get the deal done because we need to keep our D depth intact.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
out of all our young defenseman I'm the least excited about Theodore right now. maybe 1 day he will develop in a legit qb pp but it probably wont be in time for this core to compete.

having said that theo + vatanen is a huge overpayment and I'd want a significant add coming back from t.v..

Jones then Ritchie would be ideal targets. if expect something coming back with Ritchie but nothing for jones.

I don't think we put steel on the table.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
another huge elephant in the room is drouins salary expectations. we can give him a big contract if we extend Fowler and Manson, especially this hear while bieksa and stoner are on the books.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
would love to get Drouin...

Can you imagine the showdown between GM Bob Murray (see hardball he played with Rakell and Lindholm) vs. Drouin and agent (see Syracuse crunch holdout). That contract extension could be very ugly...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
would love to get Drouin...

Can you imagine the showdown between GM Bob Murray (see hardball he played with Rakell and Lindholm) vs. Drouin and agent (see Syracuse crunch holdout). That contract extension could be very ugly...

Actually I think it may be a case where a bridge is better for both sides. For the Ducks it could keep the AAV down to a level where they may actually be able to squeeze him in, and for Drouin it likely maximizes long term earning potential.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Actually I think it may be a case where a bridge is better for both sides. For the Ducks it could keep the AAV down to a level where they may actually be able to squeeze him in, and for Drouin it likely maximizes long term earning potential.

I'd find it weird if he wasn't mostly focused on that route. The guy clearly has a lot of confidence in himself, why not establish that he's as good as he thinks he is and cash in?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'd find it weird if he wasn't mostly focused on that route. The guy clearly has a lot of confidence in himself, why not establish that he's as good as he thinks he is and cash in?

He simply doesn't have the credentials to cash in on a huge superstar contract right now. But if he's confident he'll reach level over the next couple seasons, he'd be better off not tied into a long term deal right now. So yeah I think that's the way to go from his point of view.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I would trade Vatanen for Drouin but I know Lightning wouldn't they would want more and I don't like the idea of adding too much. Also Drouin I don't really think is such a great fit for the Ducks :help:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I would trade Vatanen for Drouin but I know Lightning wouldn't they would want more and I don't like the idea of adding too much. Also Drouin I don't really think is such a great fit for the Ducks :help:

o.o why wouldn't he be a good fit... pretty sure he can play either wing... hes great with the puck, he is very gifted offensively. I actually could see him and Rakell working well together. He kinda reminds me of a more offensive version of rakell, he is exactly the type of player we need going forward. And hes young enough that he can be a main part of our roster after the days of getzlaf/perry/kesler... and build around Rakell silf drouin steel terry etc.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
o.o why wouldn't he be a good fit... pretty sure he can play either wing... hes great with the puck, he is very gifted offensively. I actually could see him and Rakell working well together. He kinda reminds me of a more offensive version of rakell, he is exactly the type of player we need going forward. And hes young enough that he can be a main part of our roster after the days of getzlaf/perry/kesler... and build around Rakell silf drouin steel terry etc.

I suspect he meant that Drouin doesn't play a "heavy" game and might not be as effective in the Ducks system as a result. That is for BM and RC to decide if they even have had discussions with TB.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
I suspect he meant that Drouin doesn't play a "heavy" game and might not be as effective in the Ducks system as a result. That is for BM and RC to decide if they even have had discussions with TB.

Even if we play a heavy game, we still need some creativity in our forwards group. Badly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad