Friedman: A Vatanen-Drouin deal makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Got me excited for a second, lol. It makes more sense from our POV, not sure how much it does for Tampa though. Obviously we have to add to Vats, and I'm not sure I would add what Tampa might want.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think ducks and tamp fans have talked about this a bit, and I think it was something like Vatanen + Ritchie/jones ish

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah try more like Vatanen+ and the plus would need to be pretty decent for Yzerman to even think about moving Drouin for Vatanen. Try more like Palat for Vatanen that makes far more sense then Drouin.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The Hall-Larsson trade a year ago was a pretty clear indication that top 4 RHD are among the most coveted commodities around the league. Larsson is a different style of player than Vatanen but they are both game changers. I think any add from Anaheim would be small and certainly not involve a top prospect. Might just be 1-1.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That makes more sense.

Friedman didn't mention the Vatanen-plus part.

Well I think that was kinda where the fan bases had some what agreed with(obviously some tamp fans wanted more and some duck fans thought overpaid as in any deal on these boards lol) Idk that it was based off any reports or speculation... ducks and tampa seem like decent trade partners, tampa has a lot of RFA and may struggle to get all of them signed and need a PPQB/top 4 rhd... so vatanen could be an ideal fit, or maybe barrie.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
The Hall-Larsson trade a year ago was a pretty clear indication that top 4 RHD are among the most coveted commodities around the league. Larsson is a different style of player than Vatanen but they are both game changers. I think any add from Anaheim would be small and certainly not involve a top prospect. Might just be 1-1.

I'd be much more inclined to agree with this but others will argue to death. I think value is much closer 1-1 than people realize but I won't disrespect anyone else's OPINION.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Idk drouin has some serious potential, only 22 and can play both wings if I'm not mistaken... I think it would cost whoever tampa is higher on between jones and Ritchie at least as an add.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Jones-Johansen was more recent and a better indication

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I would do Vatanen+Ritchie for Drouin. But if it's just Vatanen then the deal would be for Palat not Drouin.

Agreed, I think from what I remember the most common accepted offers between the fan bases were

Johnson(small+) for vatanen

Vatanen for Palat(I think both sides pushed for a lil add but overall thought it was fairly even)

Drouin for Vatanen +Ritchie/jones... I think it would honestly depend on who yzermen likes more... possibly contract situations(Ritchie is due up next season I think, where jones you have some years before you have to worry bout him)

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016

A team with Hedman and Stralman is a lot less desperate for top 4 D than what the Oilers had last offseason. Expect Yzerman to get more bang for his buck than Chiarelli got for Hall.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Right now i doubt Vatanen is any thing like Larsson and Drouin isn't Hall. Anaheim would need at least a small add no way is Vatanen worth Drouin 1 for 1 maybe both Palat or Johnson but not Drouin. Drouin has far too much potential at only 22 years of age.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Idk drouin has some serious potential, only 22 and can play both wings if I'm not mistaken... I think it would cost whoever tampa is higher on between jones and Ritchie at least as an add.

Hall was widely considered to be one of the top 2-3 top LW in the league at the time so that doesn't really wash.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
And it was also mentioned that they're not sure if Drouin world work because of the supposed cost of resigning him. He probably easily gets more then what Vatanen is making and with the supposed $6.5 million per for Cam Fowler could Anaheim afford an $5 million+ Drouin.

Well we lose vermette most likely at expansion draft, if fowler is signed to 6.5 losing vermette and vatanen basically covers that... next season we lose 7.5 in the bieska contract and stoner contract... so that would be used to sign drouin and a back up... Larsson/Theodore/Montour can fill in the blanks on defense.

It would def take some effort but I think we could manage it... we have a lot of nhl ready players that should be able to fill in some spots if need be.

Oh I did that backwards, drouin needs to be signed first then fowler extended but either way you get the point lol

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Jones-Johansen was more recent and a better indication

eh, I think the fact they RyJo is a center and Hall/Drouin are wings skews that a bit.

I don't see a big add with Vats for Drouin. If Tampa is looking for someone who will take one of the "team friendly" deals they've been handing out I see Palat as a lot more likely to go there than Drouin. Yes, the re-sign might be rough for ANA but can TB afford it either and still keep TJ/Palat?

Well we lose vermette most likely at expansion draft, if fowler is signed to 6.5 losing vermette and vatanen basically covers that... next season we lose 7.5 in the bieska contract and stoner contract... so that would be used to sign drouin and a back up... Larsson/Theodore/Montour can fill in the blanks on defense.

Yes, we lose the Bieksa/Stoner dollars, but Cams new contract would kick in in and Manson Montour Theo Cogs Kase and Ritchie will all need new deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad