A SERIOUS DISCUSSION - The Goalies

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
“Really, it’s mentally, having the trust and confidence that my body is going to do what it’s meant to do," Ward said. "You know, these last couple of years I can admit that I played in a little bit of fear knowing I have been hurt so many times, that I was kind of in fear of getting hurt again.”

Didn't he come into camp last year saying he was as strong as he's ever been and in the best shape of his life? I'm admittedly a Ward apologist (and goalie apologist in general), but at some point you've gotta just shut up and prove you're a #1.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Where was that attitude last season?

He hadn't ever lost his job until last season. Having the summer to reflect on his performance may have knocked some sense into him.

Seriously if he's just going to get sniped glove high all year his career is over in 2 years.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He hadn't ever lost his job until last season. Having the summer to reflect on his performance may have knocked some sense into him.

Either that, or it's all lip service in the off season.

Seriously if he's just going to get sniped glove high all year his career is over in 2 years.

His two biggest problems that have kept him from being elite IMO have always been glove side high..and losing concentration and letting in more than his share of softies. Plus, in recent years, injuries have plagued him (some freak, some probably due to getting worn down).

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I've always been surprised injuries don't take a bigger toll on athletes. It seems like getting hurt a lot in a short period of time, and just having to start over with rehabs and surgery's a few years in a row would just make someone want to quit altogether. Especially the guys who've made serious money.

As for glove side high, all goalies give up goals glove side high. It's a premium location for scoring goals. For all the flourish of the movements after glove saves, usually glove saves are just the puck going into a stationary glove because the shooter didn't get it high enough. I've always thought Cam's problem was that he doesn't track the puck through traffic well enough, and he doesn't read the puck off the stick particularly well. So you shoot a puck where he's not through a screen or on a breakaway, and he has trouble stopping it. Whether it's glove side high or blocker high, or really anywhere there's a hole.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I think many athletes wouldn't be at the level they are without the drive to continue to get better despite any setbacks. It's all about getting back into the ice/court/field. Of course, money is a huge factor. $1 million is a ton for us and most of us could retire on that. But they're used to a different lifestyle and even small differences in salary could make a big deal for those who don't live modestly. They know once it's up, if they're not set for life they don't have much to fall back on. It's why a lot get into TV.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I've always thought Cam's problem was that he doesn't track the puck through traffic well enough, and he doesn't read the puck off the stick particularly well.

I thought in the past he did a decent job of fighting through traffic, but recently (especially last season) he has been absolutely terrible at it. I would think that points somewhat to confidence issues.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I've always been surprised injuries don't take a bigger toll on athletes. It seems like getting hurt a lot in a short period of time, and just having to start over with rehabs and surgery's a few years in a row would just make someone want to quit altogether. Especially the guys who've made serious money.

I agree Wally and you do see it from time to time where guys get burned out, but for the most part, these guys are, and have been some of the most competitive and driven people and that's what got them there and keeps them there. But as they get older, have families, are more financially secure, etc... it's got to be harder to maintain that level of drive.

As for glove side high, all goalies give up goals glove side high. It's a premium location for scoring goals.

All goalies give them up, but some are much better than others and that's my point.

Also, while a glove side high shot "looks" great, the premium spot for scoring goals isn't really glove side high. High near the goalies head (glove or stick side) and just over the blocker on either side, but mainly stick side are the most difficult for a goalie to stop and premium spots for scoring. E. Staal used to score a lot in that spot (even a few on Brodeur in the playoffs).

I've always thought Cam's problem was that he doesn't track the puck through traffic well enough, and he doesn't read the puck off the stick particularly well. So you shoot a puck where he's not through a screen or on a breakaway, and he has trouble stopping it. Whether it's glove side high or blocker high, or really anywhere there's a hole.

That could be. Maybe that contributes to the view that he gives up "softies" more often?

FeedDaPuck

Mar 17, 2008
Everywhere
I'll chime in... Dobby had a very good offseason. Is looking at this year as the year to prove his worth in this league. I DO NOT see him relinquishing his No. 1 job after last season. 927%, 31–12–4, 2.35 GAA... Those are the stats that I see... Cam (as much as I like him) will not find his game.

BTW – Dobby worked well with a certain coach this offseason. I think people will see marked improvement in his positioning. (less scrambling to recover).

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I'll chime in... Dobby had a very good offseason. Is looking at this year as the year to prove his worth in this league. I DO NOT see him relinquishing his No. 1 job after last season. 927%, 31–12–4, 2.35 GAA... Those are the stats that I see... Cam (as much as I like him) will not find his game.

BTW – Dobby worked well with a certain coach this offseason. I think people will see marked improvement in his positioning. (less scrambling to recover).

That sounds a little too optimistic. Have you ever watched the Hurricanes? :sarcasm:

I do agree with the rest, although I can't speak to his offseason.

FeedDaPuck

Mar 17, 2008
Everywhere
That sounds a little too optimistic. Have you ever watched the Hurricanes? :sarcasm:

I do agree with the rest, although I can't speak to his offseason.

I see the Canes as a playoff team... Will probably be knocked out in the second round. I am not a fan of the Canes (I like em, but don't wear homer goggles). I just see drastic improvement in the overall team play and just in the approach to the game.

GoCanes2013

May 7, 2009
Raleigh
Cam Ward - having close to (or surely) his best individual season as a Hurricane. 2010-2011 might be the only other season he was better, but his GAA average was higher than this season. He had 4 shutouts that year as well.

Hats off to Cam.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC

I see the Canes as a playoff team... Will probably be knocked out in the second round. I am not a fan of the Canes (I like em, but don't wear homer goggles). I just see drastic improvement in the overall team play and just in the approach to the game.

#analysis

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Tough to single out one person when 90% of the people who took the poll were wrong.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
yeah that's pretty unfair. Most were incorrect in their predictions for the most part, as to how everything would transpire this season.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Maybe it's just me but I think there's quite a difference in wrongly predicting which goalie will play more, and wrongly predicting that one goalie will have an all-star caliber season with 30+ wins, and a .927 while leading the team to the second round of the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad