A SERIOUS DISCUSSION - The Goalies

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
It's certainly debatable. I wouldn't call what he has insane, though. À case could be made either way depending on how much you value games played. That's why it's hard to place Khudobin at the moment.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
There was some analysis one of those people that does stuff like this did that showed chances off the rush had a higher shooting %. As well as chances on the PP. As well as shots from Forwards rather than defensemen.

It's pretty easy how to see how a teams style and quality of play would impact those, and consequently, the Save%.

Save% is a lazy stat.

(one of the links actually quantifies shot quality's effect as 20-25% of the effect of shot quantity. So it's far from negligible, even in the general sense.)

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Are you talking about Chris Boyle's work? I definitely thought that was interesting, but there seems to be more evidence in the opposite direction. I'd like to see more people look at his research on a larger sample size instead of just a handful of goaltenders.

Dec 30, 2013
In the grand scheme of things, shot quality is meaningless.

Eh. Your own sources disagree with you.

"I try to clarify the distinction between "doesn't exist" and "isn't as important as people imagine"

"Shot quality isn't insignificant, but it's clearly subordinate."

"You add all these factoids together and it becomes apparent that -while shot quality differences exists- it does not add overwhelming increases in discovery to shot metric analysis."

"In general, shot quality factors tend to be small enough that they don’t grossly alter our understanding of the game"

"The argument is actually that most shot quality effects are smaller than people think, and that over the sample sizes we normally work with, differences in shot quality tend to be dominated more by noise than talent. "

While current shot quality statistics are not nearly as significant as shot differential, they are not meaningless.

Also, the post you responded to:
Until a meaningful way to quantify quality of shot comes out.

Relies on the notion that current factors do not quantify quality of shot in any meaningful way. As such, even had all of the articles you posted stated that quality of shot was insignificant, they would be relying upon current methodology, which would be irrelevant to the quoted post.

In conclusion, I really need to stop procrastinating by arguing semantics and start studying :laugh:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yup. Me too.

Yesterday I watched a goalie whose glove hand appeared to be encased in cement.

--hank

You also watched (if that is indeed the right word, were you at the game?) a goalie on day three of training camp. It's not promising, but it's hardly much to go on.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Shot quality is real... but you'll be right more often ignoring it than you will be by adding it due to its uncontrollable nature.
That's the issue with shot quality. Not that it's hard to measure, but that we don't find people ever being able to sustainably control it.
For the most part, large sample save% tends to outperform the eye-test. The issue then is that you need a large sample, which means you can only really compare guys that have survived the eye-test first.

Thanks,
One of the authors of above articles.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
You also watched (if that is indeed the right word, were you at the game?) a goalie on day three of training camp. It's not promising, but it's hardly much to go on.

He could get better. That would be nice.

I could also get younger. That would also be nice.

--hank

(p.s. yes, of course I was at the game. I tend to choose my words/phrasing pretty deliberately.)

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Are you talking about Chris Boyle's work? I definitely thought that was interesting, but there seems to be more evidence in the opposite direction. I'd like to see more people look at his research on a larger sample size instead of just a handful of goaltenders.

I don't remember who's it was. They were looking at shooting%'s in various situations (rather than goalie sv%). It was something that seemed intuitive put onto paper with numbers assigned. Rushes > Non-Rush. Forward > Defense. PP > EV. And all by several % points. Enough that if you weighted the shots when comparing teams, it'll highlight whether something is an outlier or explainable.

My gut tells me that the actual teams are already doing this, but the people doing it are doing it for a lot of money, and not just handing it out to joe shmoes.

A nice addition to having weighted shots, is that we'd be able to do a better short term analysis. So when a goalie gives up 3 goals on 15 shots, we wouldn't be using expert analysis like "You can't give up 3 goals on 15 shots." It's possible we'd be able to say "They had 2.6 goals worth of shots" That's something that's just not possible in the "Every shot is equal" world.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2013
Oh semantics you say? I did preface my admittedly hyperbolic conclusion with "in the grand scheme of things". Checkmate, observists.

Well a literalist would treat the idiom in the same way as the hyperbole...Taking the statement as a whole to mean "All things considered shot quality has no significant effect" :sarcasm:

Though, fair enough.

Shot quality is real... but you'll be right more often ignoring it than you will be by adding it due to its uncontrollable nature.
That's the issue with shot quality. Not that it's hard to measure, but that we don't find people ever being able to sustainably control it.
For the most part, large sample save% tends to outperform the eye-test. The issue then is that you need a large sample, which means you can only really compare guys that have survived the eye-test first.

Thanks,
One of the authors of above articles.

It isn't hard to measure? Are all relevant factors currently used to determine quality of shot then? I would say we don't have nearly enough data to reliably determine quality of shots. In the perfect world we would have the data for everything relevant which would allow more effective analyses. Shot speed. Angle of trajectory in relation to goaltender's positioning in the net. Presence of an effective screen.

Finding someone that can sustain a high quality of shot isn't really an issue when you're looking to judge goaltender quality. A good shot is a good shot whether it comes from an elite winger or a fourth liner who manages to make all of six good shots per season.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You can’t expect to get starts and get rewarded with ice time because of what you have done in the past. You have to be rewarded for the present and what you bring to the table now. I want to be able to compete and earn that ice time I am going to be given.

Where was that attitude last season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad