A SERIOUS DISCUSSION - The Goalies

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I figured if I did the goalies separate, we'd be discussing them both in each thread so decided to combine them to keep the conversation in 1 place.

Anton Khudobin
5'11", 203lbs
Last Season: 36GP, 19W, 14L, 1OTL, 2.3GAA, .926 SV%, 1 SO
Salary: $2.0M, Cap: $2.25M

Cam Ward
6'1", 185lbs
Last Season: 30GP, 10W, 12L, 6 OTL, 3.06GAA, .898 SV%, 0 SO
Salary: $6.7M, Cap: $6.3M

While the Canes arguably have the best 1-2 punch in goal for a long time (on paper), there are also more questions entering camp for the first time since Ward took over as starter in 2006. Will Khudobin show that last year was not a fluke and that he is indeed an elite starter in this league? Can Ward rebound from 2 poor seasons in a row? Will either (or both) stay healthy? How will Peters use them? Will he really ride one guy 60 games? or will it be more of a 1a, 1b tandem? With the return of the season, will FeedDaPuck return to posting? How long into the season before we get a SERIOUS DEBATE rage thread on Ward? :sarcasm:

DISCUSS!

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Peters mentioned he wants a starter and a backup. I don't see a 1A, 1B situation happening unless they both light it up in net. Whoever does well in the first 10 games will be the starter from there. Therefore I see khudobin getting 55 to 60 games this year.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Peters mentioned he wants a starter and a backup. I don't see a 1A, 1B situation happening unless they both light it up in net. Whoever does well in the first 10 games will be the starter from there. Therefore I see khudobin getting 55 to 60 games this year.

He did say that, but in fairness, he's going to say that no matter what before training camp, because he wants the guys desperate and competing for the job. He also went on to talk about he'd need both early on because of the long road trip and back to backs. If Ward rebounds, then I could see a 1a / 1b situation where one guy gets ~50 and the other gets 30-35 as we have to keep in mind that Khudobin has never handled a full load in his career to this point either.

IMO, this is the key to the Canes making the playoffs. If they get solid goaltending from both guys, they are more than likely in the playoffs, even if some of the skaters struggle. The difference between the #7 pick last year and a playoff spot was 5 wins, that's it. If either of these guys struggle, they can't afford any key skaters being off or the playoffs are out of the question. They just aren't deep enough.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

Pretty much in agreement with this. I think we'll see a fairly even split throughout the first month, then whoever plays better will grab the starting role. Khudobin still has a limited body of work, but I believe he'll outplay Ward, even if the latter does bounce back a bit. A 51/31 split with each playing in every back-to-back is how I would do it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Looks like WTF and I said basically the same thing. The voting categories are a little too ambiguous I guess as I see a 50/32 type split as more of a 1a/1b, but that's not really that important.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Bx0Xl59CQAAzlbg.jpg

cam ward is a #pirate stealing $6.3M from the hurricanes

#confirmed

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Ward, like J. Peters, has shown that he isn't a great backup goaltender. He has to get a lot of starts and get in a groove to be successful. Ward eluded to this himself when he made those comments or no comments about Muller. Seems like Bill Peters won't be willing to give him that time if he stinks it up early on. Ward better pray that he starts the season hot, because if he struggles early I don't think he will be capable of winning the starting gig back.

Like everyone else said, I agree that something like a 50/32 split would be ideal with the horses we have.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
It pained me to do it, but I have to go with Dobby as the 1a. Problem is, I really don't see Ward being successful in a 1b or backup role. Hopefully he proves me wrong :)

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Yeah, 1a/1b split doesn't really describe how I see this shaking out. In the end, I believe both guys play very well w/Khudobin winning the majority of the starts.

I see Doby getting in the high 40s and Cam getting in the mid 30s. Basically, I would think about 10-15 more starts for 1a.

Again, the optimist in me sees Cam hungry to prove people wrong. In the end, he knows he has to play for one more "starting gig" contract. Khudobin is in the same position - he has to prove that he can be a starter and is playing for that next 4-5 year deal.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, I'm over that particular mask theme. I think Khudobin will just flat out be better and that's why he'll end up the undisputed starter. Hopefully Ward does fairly well though.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I agree with pretty much everything that's being said here. Khudobin's just flat out the better goaltender right now.

Plus, we need to save Cam's energy for the playoffs :sarcasm:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Neither goaltender will perform well enough to be declared the starter, but the team will feel more comfortable (and perform better) with Khudobin in net. It won't matter in the long run, but Anton will finish the season with slightly better stats than Ward (average, rather than below average) due to the fact that he will get more games.

Ward will get moved in the offseason, and the team will be left looking for a starter.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Neither goaltender will perform well enough to be declared the starter, but the team will feel more comfortable (and perform better) with Khudobin in net. It won't matter in the long run, but Anton will finish the season with slightly better stats than Ward (average, rather than below average) due to the fact that he will get more games.

Ward will get moved in the offseason, and the team will be left looking for a starter.

What makes you say that? Khudobin played like a decent starter last year. Not a great one, but about average for the NHL. Ward, when he's playing well, is a great starter, in the top 10 and as the type of guy who can be in Vezina conversation. Trouble is, he hasn't been at anywhere close to form in the last few seasons, except for short stretches. He'll play 3 games as the best goalie in the league and then let in 6 goals the next. Coaching has to do with it too- Greg Stefan was the goalie coach the last two years, which were Ward's worst. He was also goalie coach from 2005-2008, when Ward was often pretty average. The few years Ward had Tom Barrasso as coach, his performance was dramatically better. The conclusion you can draw from that is that Ward and Stefan were a poor match, but hey, old boy's club. Now we brought in David Marcoux, who worked with Kiprusoff when he won the Vezina and who worked with Ward in the lockout when both the Flames and Hurricanes shared Lowell. His work with Ward likely had a big influence on that 2006 season.

So I have a lot of hope that Ward might reclaim his game this season. He might not, but coming off of what was, by all accounts, an incredibly strong offseason trying to get past his injuries, with a new goalie coach we're pretty sure he'll work well with, I think the odds are good. Still, I hedged a little and said Khudobin 1a, Ward 1b. Khudobin is the safer choice at the moment- at his peak, he's not as good as Ward, but he has been much more consistent.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Khudobin played like a decent starter last year. Not a great one, but about average for the NHL.

Curious why you say that, as the numbers indicate he was well above average?

He had the 5th best SV% in the NHL last season and better than ANY season Cam Ward ever had.
His GAA was 12th in the NHL on a team that was 21st in the league for shots against and better than ANY season Cam Ward ever had.
He won 56% of the games he started on a team that won only 44% of it's games.

It may not qualify as great, but he was well above average last season. I'm not saying he'll do the same this year, and I do acknowledge that he only played 36 games, but I don't agree with the assessment that he was only an average starter last year.

EDIT: Nor do I understand how you can conclude that his PEAK isn't as good as Ward's peak, particularly given his small body of work.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad