A SERIOUS DISCUSSION: Alex Nedeljkovic

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Like w/ Necas, the 2019 Calder Cup run was great for Ned. I've been impressed with the both of them this season.

Charles Barkley was one of the best rebounders in the NBA in the 80s, when the league was chock full of 7-foot centers, even going so far as to lead the league in his third year.

Charles Barkley is 6'4".

Fun fact, when Charles Barkley goes to San Antonio, the locals and especially the women say "Sup skinny!"

Last edited:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Just goes to show being insane and insanely athletic together sometimes works.

This. Rodman, Barkley, kobe, Jordan, bird had insane work ethics that demanded they go 100% 100% of the time. Its rare to see that in hockey. LaRose did it because it was his only shot at the big leagues, it made him millions, made him hate the game. You see it a lot in bball, not so much the other sports, less you think Shohei Ohtani got to where he is cause he tried real hard.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I forgot a cup before a beer league game once. I drove back home to get it
I did this once, except I didn't have time to drive home for it without missing half the game. So I borrowed one and somehow never gave it back. I think he missed a few games, then I missed a few games, then things happened with teams and rosters. Long story short, it's still in my garage.

Koprowski, if you're reading this and you want that cup you gave away five years ago, just let me know.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I saw this in the article and was a bit surprised. Canes trio of goalies (Ned, Reimer, Mrazek) have the 2nd best 5v5 sv% in the NHL, just behind TB (also 2nd best HDSV% 5v5).

Here are other numbers:

All Strengths: 8th
5v5 SV%: 2nd
5v5 HDSV%: 2nd
PK SV%: 11th
Against Empty Net: DEAD LAST!

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I saw this in the article and was a bit surprised. Canes trio of goalies (Ned, Reimer, Mrazek) have the 2nd best 5v5 sv% in the NHL, just behind TB (also 2nd best HDSV% 5v5).

Here are other numbers:

All Strengths: 8th
5v5 SV%: 2nd
5v5 HDSV%: 2nd
PK SV%: 11th
Against Empty Net: DEAD LAST!

:help::shakehead

Ned is only slightly better than Raanta, giving him 2nd to last place for anyone over 5 games. 7 shots against, 4 saves. (.571 sv %)

Reimer is only 3 spots better 18 shots, 13 saves (.722 sv %)

Then again Hellebuyck is right there with .727 sv% so ehh, oh well i guess.

Last edited:

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I see VAN just gave Demko 5X5. Big investment for a guy who's only played 62 NHL games. Got me curious in what folks think an appropriate/smart contract offer will be for Ned.

If he avoids UFA status by getting enough starts, they'll have some control and could offer a short (1 or 2 year) prove-it contract...but obviously with some financial risk if he actually proves it.

Alternatively, they could offer a long term contract, buying out UFA years at elevated AAV...big risk for a guy with 30 or so starts..probably doesn't make sense.

Subset of the prove-it contract option...if they go that route and he takes them to arbitration, what do you think an arbitrator would judge for term and AAV if he keeps his current performance up with at least 22 starts this year?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I see VAN just gave Demko 5X5. Big investment for a guy who's only played 62 NHL games. Got me curious in what folks think an appropriate/smart contract offer will be for Ned.

If he avoids UFA status by getting enough starts, they'll have some control and could offer a short (1 or 2 year) prove-it contract...but obviously with some financial risk if he actually proves it.

Alternatively, they could offer a long term contract, buying out UFA years at elevated AAV...big risk for a guy with 30 or so starts..probably doesn't make sense.

Subset of the prove-it contract option...if they go that route and he takes them to arbitration, what do you think an arbitrator would judge for term and AAV if he keeps his current performance up with at least 22 starts this year?
Ideally we do a 2 year 1.5 AAV. 1 million the first year, 2 million the 2nd year. In the end that is probably too low for Ned and we go one year 1.25 million.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

There's no slam dunk recent comparable for Nedeljkovic that I can find. He's putting up unusually good stats relative to his career GP. Recent signings of young goalies with 2 RFA years left, via CapFriendly:

SeasonPlayerContract (Inflation Adjusted)Prior Season Statline (GP/GAA/SV%)Career GP
20-21Tristan Jarry$3.5 mil x 333/2.43/.92162
19-20Malcolm Subban$.850 mil x 121/2.93/.90245
19-20Joonas Korpisalo$1.15 mil x 118/3.32/.89790
19-20Linus Ullmark$1.35 mil x 137/3.11/.90563
18-19Laurent Brossoit$.668 mil x 1 14/3.24/.88328
18-19David Rittich$.823 mil x 121/2.92/.90722
17-18Phillip Grubauer$1.63 mil x 124/2.04/.92666
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He may end up with a Grubauer-esque prior season statline, but have a third of the career GP. Rittich is a comp the other way, but the difference in the numbers may be staggering.

The midpoint between the two is $1.23 mil on a 1 year deal. That's basically the average inclusive of Korpisalo and Ullmark too.

That's fair and logical for both sides. Nedeljkovic gambling on a better deal for 22-23 as a 1B or backup behind a really good team makes sense. The team needs to mitigate the risk of him not being legit. Otherwise, he's a cap dump at a time they need to avoid those.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Think it's about time we started to believe what we see.

IDK if he's a 1A or a 1B, and I don't really care. All I know is we can win games with this dude in net, and what else really matters besides that?
I think we probably would have won with Darling in net tonight. But Ned is having a great season regardless. I am at least grudgingly coming around to him being part of the tandem next year. Especially if it allows us to make other moves because he's cheaper.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad