A SERIOUS DISCUSSION: Alex Nedeljkovic

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Three things:
  1. Ned wasn't going to be the #1 two years ago, so yes, Mrazek.
  2. Could he have been the backup? Maybe, but trading for Reimer was just as much about dealing away Darling as it was about obtaining a backup. If Reimer hadn't been good, Ned would likely have gotten the call-up.
  3. When you wander onto another team's board, you probably shouldn't introduce yourself by trashing that team's organization.

Further, on #2:

If memory serves, we weren't even planning on keeping Reimer...we took Reimer on the basis we'd retain and flip because we had cap space to burn and thought he'd have value at a lower AAV; Florida preferred Darling's buyout terms.

The braintrust just never found the subsequent trade of their liking. Reimer stayed and took the backup job that would have been Ned's to lose, going into camp.

It's like the rumor that the Canes were looking for a follow-up trade to move a D after the Hamilton deal.

We are a team that will make moves to improve the team before figuring out how to make it fit on the roster.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Honestly? If I'm Ned, screw canes' management. They've stunted this growth and I would totally do this. What happens if you become a RFA? You sign a cheap, short term contract and HOPE the canes play you enough that you can raise the value of your next contract. Screw that, even with the short sample size he'd get a decent contract as an UFA.

Cam Ward leaves, hey maybe Ned gets a decent chance at the NHL? Nope, maybe next year kid. Wow, I just won AHL goalie of the year and lead my team to the championship, surely they'll make room for me next year? Haha, actually we're going to re-sign UFA Mrazek and trade for Reimer just so there ISN'T room for you. And let's waive you next year just for good measure.

If the Canes don't re-sign him very soon, I wouldn't blame Ned for trying to have job security, especially with his history.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to post and to remove all doubt.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Not the most appropriate place for this, but since we're on the subject, it's time now for a James Reimer appreciation moment.

Thank you James Reimer, GMBC, and Dale Tallon for not only saving us from the full Scott Darling experience, but for turning an extreme negative into an extreme positive. Just...wow, what a difference that made.

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
Assuming Nedeljkovic gets his required games to sign, would he be count or be exempt from Seattle expansion draft? Not sure how those rules work for goalies with a very small amount of games over a few years. And if , say all three were available ,and one protected , what would be the pecking order. With Ned only being 25, whether age and potential becomes the main factor over the other 2. I like his potential.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Assuming Nedeljkovic gets his required games to sign, would he be count or be exempt from Seattle expansion draft? Not sure how those rules work for goalies with a very small amount of games over a few years. And if , say all three were available ,and one protected , what would be the pecking order. With Ned only being 25, whether age and potential becomes the main factor over the other 2. I like his potential.

1st and 2nd year pros at any position are exempt. Games played is a factor in certain cases determining what a player is; Necas is exempt because they never recalled him after sending him down during the 18-19 season, for example. Nedeljkovic is a 5th year pro, however. He'll need to be protected.

I don't see the motivation to not wait until the last minute or even go to UFA day like last time before re-signing Mrazek, if they want to do it, at this point. Maybe that changes if he has an exceptional playoff run, but Nedeljkovic is the easy protect right now.

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
that's my thought too that they would keep Ned but don't watch much Carolina hockey so good to hear from a Cane fan's perspective.

Reactions: DaveG

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

Shares some thoughts re: his journey and approach.

Ned is very focused on details in the Net.
Along with his athletic ability, he is very technical with angles.
Ned's anticipation of the play is exceptional. 'Rink Rat' between the pipes!!

SCOUTING REPORT:

Has exceptional athletic ability that has drawn comparisons to Marc-Andre Fleury. Can recover more quickly than most netminders and battles very well to always stay in the play. Does not have ideal size for the National Hockey League. Needs more work in terms of positioning and rebound-control in order to maximize output as a No. 1 goalkeeper.
http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nhl/player/9711[/TD]
[TD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Very disappointing that Nedeljkovic won't have enough games played to be a serious contender for the Calder. I know the debate is Kaprizov versus Robertson currently. Who gets the third finalist spot? Ilya Sorokin also has the games played issue.

Will Ned still be Calder eligible next season?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Very disappointing that Nedeljkovic won't have enough games played to be a serious contender for the Calder. I know the debate is Kaprizov versus Robertson currently. Who gets the third finalist spot? Ilya Sorokin also has the games played issue.

Will Ned still be Calder eligible next season?

I assumed no, but the answer is possibly. Calder eligibility rules say you can't play 25 or more games in the previous season or 6 or more games in each of the previous 2. He will miss the "age 26" exception by a few months.

Ned needs 3 more games to get RFA, which would put him at 21 this season. I don't know if postseason games count for the Calder eligibility, or if they will reduce that number due to the reduced Covid schedule. But it's possible Ned is Calder eligible next season.

Reactions: DaveG

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I assumed no, but the answer is possibly. Calder eligibility rules say you can't play 25 or more games in the previous season or 6 or more games in each of the previous 2. He will miss the "age 26" exception by a few months.

Ned needs 3 more games to get RFA, which would put him at 21 this season. I don't know if postseason games count for the Calder eligibility, or if they will reduce that number due to the reduced Covid schedule. But it's possible Ned is Calder eligible next season.

Calder is great and all but I’m just glad that he’s likely going to teach the number needed to keep him under RFA status. He’s definitely proving he can play in a tandem situation so the only question is will it be with Mrazek or someone else. I’d be happy to keep the Petr experiment going for another 2 years at a reasonable number.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Calder is great and all but I’m just glad that he’s likely going to teach the number needed to keep him under RFA status. He’s definitely proving he can play in a tandem situation so the only question is will it be with Mrazek or someone else. I’d be happy to keep the Petr experiment going for another 2 years at a reasonable number.
I think it made sense to tandem Mrazek with McElhinney and then Reimer because none had been highly successful as The Man. However, I think Ned is making the same case that other newcomers (Shesterkin, Oettinger--though will be interesting to see when Bishop is healthy--Demko, Sorokin) have made to be the #1. Come playoff time there needs to be a clear starter--beginning next season Ned should have that chance.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Reasons to keep other than on ice performance:

Ned for eloquent and erudite interviews.

Mrazek so we don't lose @MrazeksVengeance to another board.
Because we can't let Necas be the only one that can bring the sexy

Ezl1wSYX0AAWiUf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad