Post-Game Talk: A regulation win?!?!? Panthers beat Jets 4-2 in Barkovland

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
You'll work hard for the guy who is carrying their weight and then some, as opposed to the guy whose skill will yield a loss no matter how much support he's given.

What we saw through Nov 1 was a group of forwards and defensemen who knew, going into each game, that there was a very high likelihood of their effort, no matter the quality, going to waste.

Count me among those who, upon learning Luongo was going to start, EXPECTED a win and wasn't remotely surprised by the outcome.

The fact that we got this result on the 2nd of a back-to-back against a Stanley Cup favorite should tell you quite a bit about what Luongo inspires in those other men and, even with Barkov rocking the "C," who the real captain is.

i was excited to hear lou would be in as well and also expected a good result. he's a great guy, clearly loved, still a very good goaltender who's a HOFer. i agree with you that his presence impacted the team's psyche.

the point i was making was that if this was a mature team with solid leadership on the ice, they might be able to overcome the occasional poor goaltending or missing top D (for another example) by playing smarter. especially the way we are scoring goals right now.

to look at it from another angle - how would you want the team to play in front of monty if/when he starts picking up starts?

do you want them to play a little smarter and more conservatively?

maybe not try those blind backhand passes into our slot (WTF???) that seem to end up on our opponents stick every game?

maybe figure out how to manage the puck a bit better so that when we have to give it up, we put it somewhere we have at least a 50/50 chance of getting it back? and then work their asses off to win that 50/50 battle?

reimer is a NHL backup. he's let in a soft goal or two but you can't put all of this on him.

hutchinson on the other hand... ;)

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
the point i was making was that if this was a mature team with solid leadership on the ice, they might be able to overcome the occasional poor goaltending or missing top D (for another example) by playing smarter. especially the way we are scoring goals right now.

reimer is a NHL backup. he's let in a soft goal or two but you can't put all of this on him

Not poor goaltending, league worst (before last game if you removed Lu's 1/12 periods it was worse than the Flyers). That bad of goaltending shakes the team and makes them too reliant to not make any mistakes, which forces mistakes by extension. Looking at the chances chart you can even see how poor rebound control of Riemer is leading to a ton of doorstep chances. Otherwise the stats show the team is playing well, out-chancing and out possessing the opposition. This global series we played the inverse of eachother's games. The Jets played like how we won an we played like how the Jets lost, the difference in each outcome was goaltending. Also we've lost what 6 one goal games? A goalie with even .900 sv% would result in 2-3 more wins in that frame.

Riemer is also sitting on a mid .800s sv%, that isn't a back up or a soft goal or two. It's poor goaltending

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Not poor goaltending, league worst (before last game if you removed Lu's 1/12 periods it was worse than the Flyers). That bad of goaltending shakes the team and makes them too reliant to not make any mistakes, which forces mistakes by extension. Looking at the chances chart you can even see how poor rebound control of Riemer is leading to a ton of doorstep chances. Otherwise the stats show the team is playing well, out-chancing and out possessing the opposition. This global series we played the inverse of eachother's games. The Jets played like how we won an we played like how the Jets lost, the difference in each outcome was goaltending. Also we've lost what 6 one goal games? A goalie with even .900 sv% would result in 2-3 more wins in that frame.

Riemer is also sitting on a mid .800s sv%, that isn't a back up or a soft goal or two. It's poor goaltending

not trying to defend either hutchinson or reimer.

just saying, the errors i am seeing are not, imo, the result of trying to hard not to make mistakes. they are characteristic of players on this team. trotchek, ekblad, etc. and they didn't just start after lou's injury. in fact, one of the more egregious plays trotchek has made was a blind drop pass entering the zone back in the series against the isles that led to a critical goal against in a pivotal game. he's been making plays like that all along, as have some of the other young players (with the exception of likes of barkov, who rarely makes those types of risky plays).

in short, i'm worried that his cavalier play has been contagious.

Reactions: pantherbot

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

just saying, the errors i am seeing are not, imo, the result of trying to hard not to make mistakes. they are characteristic of players on this team. trotchek, ekblad, etc. and they didn't just start after lou's injury. in fact, one of the more egregious plays trotchek has made was a blind drop pass entering the zone back in the series against the isles that led to a critical goal against in a pivotal game. he's been making plays like that all along, as have some of the other young players (with the exception of likes of barkov, who rarely makes those types of risky plays).

These mistakes aren’t characteristics to players on our team. They are characteristic to every team in the nhl. The difference is when the teams we play make them their goalies makes save or two and our don’t. U don’t outchance the opposition like we have without them making their fair share of mistakes as well and turnovers and bad coverage. Every team in the league does this

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I doesn´t saw the whole game yesterday i will watch it later on replay. But one thing shines out for me pretty clear, that the 1st line with Hoffmann looked good.

But also that Loungo still has the same problem as he has befor the Injury, i expect that more and more teams will work with that. Loungo cant push strong or quickly with his left leg. I doesnt count the Goal on him cause miss play happens befor the Goal give the Jets a clear break away, also Loungo only allowed 2 Goals, that is the best GAA stat we had for a long time.
But befor the hype begins, i only wanted to reminding the Issue and Problems he had before still here.

So he must work isanly on his Rebound control and Position on the Ice, to cover up the Problem in his movement.

Overall im happy with a single Win, Weegar jumps in for a teammate but he is also no fighter but the Attitude is right. Since he is a Player with an good pass out of the Zone and calm, i would like him stay more out of these fights.
Also that the PP worked that good, in one game give me a little hope for the future. And with Dadonov and Hoffmann have already 6 Goals are showing the offens already works.

My only Question so far for you all, is Vatrano the Player who was missed on the 2nd Line. We saw the 2nd Line working while Sceviour was on the Ice with them and Vatrano might not the Battle, hard working Player like Sceviour but goes in the Type of Player. And in addition to that he has a good shot and the sense of a Scorer. That what was or is missing on the 2nd line.

So is Vatrano the Winger Trocheck or the 2nd Line Overall need? Even if his defensive play sucks cause he doesnt do it.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Our forwards make a lot of errors but good goaltending allows you to make errors and not have every error end up in your net. plenty of times Trocheck or some other forward makes a cute, unnecessary play the offensive blue line that turns the puck over and goes the other way.

There will be mistakes/errors/turnovers/blunders whatever you want to call them, every game from every type of player. But you have to have goaltending help. Other teams get that. We haven't really been getting it.

There are also boneheaded individual mistakes like Ekblad's against Philly that have to stop. But goalies are there to save your ass from some of these mistakes. Our goalies were stopping almost nothing.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Yandle now has 12 points (5 are on the PP) in 11 games and is only a -1 playing top minutes. Are people still complaining about him?
No one complains about him except when he does dumb shit. He is a great offensive D for sure. One of the best. People just get mad when he’s super nonchalant on D or makes a horrid turnover. My thing with him is when he shoots into the opposing D’s shins. We all know he can score and has a booming shot though when he actually uses it. He’s been our best D though. Worth his contract unlike Ekblad. Sad he makes less than Ek who has been pretty garbage.

Reactions: Rahooji

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
No one complains about him except when he does dumb ****. He is a great offensive D for sure. One of the best. People just get mad when he’s super nonchalant on D or makes a horrid turnover. My thing with him is when he shoots into the opposing D’s shins. We all know he can score and has a booming shot though when he actually uses it. He’s been our best D though.
I think people expect perfection or close to it and that's unrealistic. Not saying this in a condescending way so please don't take it that way, but when you watch other top d-men, especially offensive minded ones, they're going to turn the puck over a lot/or give that impression because they have the puck a lot but their net impact is usually positive.

Reactions: I am not exposed

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I think people expect perfection or close to it and that's unrealistic. Not saying this is a condescending way so please don't take it that way, but when you watch other top d-men, especially offensive minded ones, they're going to turn the puck over a lot/or give that impression because they have the puck a lot but their net impact is usually positive.
I agree. Not that Yandle is this level but karlsson is someone who fits that bill. He is an offensive machine but he makes egregious turnovers and plays D that makes minor midget look good at times. I think Yandle gets more flack than normal becuase none of our other D are good at defending so we rely on him to be Mr. Everything when that’s not his game.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Ekblad defensively has been solid, especially with our goaltending. But he has turned into a black hole offensively. 2 points in 11 games, playing almost 22/23 minutes a night and no goals. He needs to get going, especially goal scoring.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Ekblad defensively has been solid, especially with our goaltending. But he has turned into a black hole offensively. 2 points in 11 games, playing almost 22/23 minutes a night and no goals. He needs to get going, especially goal scoring.
The only game he has been BAD was philly but he will always be viewed upon with his contract in mind. He is not worth even close to his pay grade. His speed is also what prevents him from being a dominant D. I don’t think he’ll ever reach anywhere near that 7.5 mil contract. And now that the offense has dried up it looks even worse.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
i was excited to hear lou would be in as well and also expected a good result. he's a great guy, clearly loved, still a very good goaltender who's a HOFer. i agree with you that his presence impacted the team's psyche.

to look at it from another angle - how would you want the team to play in front of monty if/when he starts picking up starts?

do you want them to play a little smarter and more conservatively?

maybe not try those blind backhand passes into our slot (WTF???) that seem to end up on our opponents stick every game?

maybe figure out how to manage the puck a bit better so that when we have to give it up, we put it somewhere we have at least a 50/50 chance of getting it back? and then work their asses off to win that 50/50 battle?

reimer is a NHL backup. he's let in a soft goal or two but you can't put all of this on him.

hutchinson on the other hand... ;)

You are significantly downplaying Reimer's play the past two-plus years. Chance after chance to take the starting job. Historically bad goaltending for a franchise that has been spoiled at that position since Day 1.

"Occasional bad goaltending? A soft goal or two?" What are you watching? Or what are you choosing to see? He and Hutchinson are the absolute worst goalies in the NHL right now. They had a mere ten games to hold down the fort by maintaining a very reasonable standings-point-per-game pace and couldn't do it, are here's why that's unacceptable:

The were getting 3 goals of support a game. Average play on the part of the goalies with such offensive support should have yielded at least 6 wins in their first 10.

Reimer was the statistical king at 5-on-5 before we signed him, right? That's why we signed him, right? What happened? You mean the goalie behind the biggest playoff collapse in NHL history isn't any good? Shocking!

And Hutchinson? But wasn't the AHL's Hasek simply too good to not be in the NHL?

Montembeault? Why wouldn't they play hard for him? Why would they burn a kid who has yet to be around long enough to ruin his reputation with routinely burning his teammates with unreliable play?

3 goals of support a game in this league is the definition of "maturity" and professionalism. Reimer seems like an affable guy.....but he's not particularly adept at his profession. And the bigger sin is management hanging on to him, which cost us the playoffs last year and it may result in the same this year.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
He has zero offensive confidence right now.

The damning evidence is him trying to take a clapper from 5 ft out.

Predictably, it got blocked.

Reactions: pantherbot

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
He has zero offensive confidence right now.

The damning evidence is him trying to take a clapper from 5 ft out.

Predictably, it got blocked.

The Problem with the lack of confidence, in the offensive Game of our Defensman is, that a lot of their plays turned out as miss plays and lead to chances and Goals for the opponent Teams.
Matheson turn over on the Blueline on 5on 5or PP, petrovic pinches who goes in turnovers and breakaways, also his shots who missed the net far and wide that the Puck comes out on the Other side of the Zone and lead to a Break away and Goals. Outlet passes east west get turn over, lead to Goals those mistake count for the most of our Defensman.

So their lack in confidence on 5on5 play comes from their own mistakes and miss plays. If they able to accept theirs fails and work on them, to keep them low they will comeing up more.
Special Ekblad scored a lot of Goals last year when he comes in as late Man in the Zone or was driving to the Net and scored their. But ekblad speed is current not the best on the Team, that other players get into the Position Ekblad played before.

Look at Yandle he is that professional to overlook his misplays and continueing with his play as nothing happen, that helped our PP Game and his own.
Ekblad i think is not in that Position to overlook or overcome that kind of Point and put himself under pressure, even it doesnt help him anything. All that talking from Players i keep on playing and the Game comes back is 0815 talking for media, on the Ice you see who can do it and not.
I think GG as a Coach who loves to talk and be a good Buddy coach, could take away the pressure from those Players. Something that you possible dont find under this Coach, who likely wants to play the best possible Hockey on the Ice.

What include that Players work on themself and keep on working.
Maybe im wrong with my Point of View, but Boughner also Capuano are not the great talker and best Buddy Coaches, they wanna play for skill and success of their Games and keep it Professional.

Another Example of this would be Mike Yeo. young talented Coach, won the Cuup with Pittsburgh as Assistant Coach, later Coached the Wilds and brought the skilled Game into their Play very offensive game with high Accuarcy in shots. But get fired after loosed the Team.
Different example maybe the best talker in this League in my Opinion. Mike Babcock awaits a lot from his Team, current with the Leafs, former with the RedWings. But when he spealks to Player or the Team it works. Not for nothing his Timeouts get near legendary after a lot of Timeouts from him during the Redwing Time turned around a whole Game. He turned out as good Speaker and maybe a one of a kind Coach our Time, even he havent the success with the Cup yet.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Yandle now has 12 points (5 are on the PP) in 11 games and is only a -1 playing top minutes. Are people still complaining about him?

He's had some bad turnovers that have led directly to goals.

He's a good player, but he's just so reckless with the puck right now, it's infuriating.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
FFS, we don't play until Thursday?

This schedule has been brutal

24 games in 46 days from Nov. 8. - Dec. 23.

Curious as to how much Lu we see. I'll assume the more they lean on him, the more practices he'll be held out of/"maintenance" days will be taken. And I'm also feeling that if Reimer's play doesn't improve drastically during this intense stretch, he'll be waived and Monty might become the new back-up.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida

He has been really bad offensively this season. I'd be ok with them not giving him time on PP for a game to see if it wakes him up a bit!

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
24 games in 46 days from Nov. 8. - Dec. 23.

Curious as to how much Lu we see. I'll assume the more they lean on him, the more practices he'll be held out of/"maintenance" days will be taken. And I'm also feeling that if Reimer's play doesn't improve drastically during this intense stretch, he'll be waived and Monty might become the new back-up.

Reimer also needs to play better because we have a ton of back to backs this season(most in NHL I believe) because of the long break before n after the Finland trip! Those are going to be crucial potting pts for the standings. I believe we need to get 3 of 4 Pts from every back to back to makeup for the poor start to the season!

The long home stand later(February I believe) where we play like 12 of 15 at home will also be crucial. Think we need to be in a playing strong every time out by then and probably get 10 wins out of the 12 if we hope to make the playoffs!

If we can take care of business during that home stretch we should be in a great groove and mindset come playoff time.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Hopefully someone to put Bjugstad in the press box where he belongs

So I've been pretty vocal about Bjugstad not living up to expectations, but he hasn't been that bad. He's not a first liner but he definitely shouldn't be in the press box. He's 58.1 Corsi For at 5 on 5, which I know isn't the end all be all, but that's second on the team behind only Mamin. He's playing a decent defensive and transition game from what I've seen, and if he gets between 40 and 50 points by March while playing the way he has been I have to call that a win.

It's a shame because if he actually had a scoring touch or serious puck skills he'd be a real all-around threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad