A positive thread about the ASG women's 3 on 3 match

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I was surprised that they didn't employ NHL strategy of controlling the puck at all costs, even if it means giving up the offensive zone for shifting a fresh line. Honestly it looked like the coaches basically played a 5 on 5 strategy, which was bizarre. Ultimately balls out for 20 minutes with no thought to possession and line changes IMO.

Fairly entertaining as a novelty otherwise.

You didn't think Canada wasn't ragging the puck in the second half?

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
That's probably going to be the best hockey this weekend.

I don't know about the Canadian feed but what we got down here was downright awful. There was balloons over players and worse, constant digital ads all across the boards moving around and causing a distraction. At one point I was covering the top half the screen with my hands so I could watch the play.

Not sure why Granato waited till 16 seconds were left o finally pull the goalie. Figured she'd do it around the 2 minute mark. She not actually watch hockey? Regardless of the chance of the other team, there was clearly none if Canada kept ragging the puck the way they were, not to mention neither team had a whole lot of extra skill to get the puck past that oversized goalie equipment.

Reactions: Viqsi

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
The hockey was fun, enjoyed it with my daughters who loved it.
The boards were annoying af. They gots to go. Or at least remain static while the puck is in play.
The 800lb gorilla in the room is also annoying. Can they just acknowledge the fact that the women can in no way compete with the men and move on? It’s like they tried to hide it and dance around it. Just be up front about it and talk about it the way it is- a different, entertaining competition.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
They have their own league. they had two, but one already folded. A lot of the players decided to sit out because they think they're worth more money than they are, and the NHL keeps pushing this agenda of them being "super skilled" and "elite", which is why everyone points out that it is exactly not that

How much exposure does their league get? The NHL is helping them get mainstream exposure for their league and players, while growing the game, attract newer audiences and sponsors. It’s good business and I’m still not sure why anyone would be against helping them out.

The ironic thing is everyone has complained about NHLers not trying in the ASG forever, and the ladies come out and try and everyone complains that they aren’t good enough. Lol!

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I liked it, also including them in the final event was very nice touch, my favorite part of the comp tbh, should’ve been 4 vs 4 tho

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I haven't watched it yet, but the women's hockey is pretty much the only reason why I even considered tuning in this year so I PVRed it and will watch it tomorrow.

And I think the comparison with the men's game is stupid. It's like with boxing, sometimes watching two heavyweights slug it out gets boring and repetitive (and dare I say predictable?) whereas watching a lighter weigh class, you appreciate the little things a bit more that you wouldn't otherwise see in a heavyweight match.

To be honest, that's how Olympic hockey was for me the last couple times NHL players participated. I found myself enjoying the women's games a lot more cause they were fighting tooth and nail whereas the men's matches were pretty much All-Star games with a medal on the line.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
There are some very very talented women hockey players. Personally I prefer them playing their guts out to a bunch of overpaid primadonnas skate grab ass rainbow circles and yuck it up.

I'm glad the NHL is taking more of a role. I'm not sure if a WNHL could be financially viable, but I do believe it's worth investigating.

Reactions: RedMenace

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
The quality is objectively horrendous. They aren't at Midget AAA level. They generally lose the games they play against the 16-17 year old boys, and the boys are playing a game with no hitting allowed for the first time since they were 12. Unfortunately the quality of the women's game means that unless the NHL or owners with deep pockets want to subsidize a pro league that loses money, it will never be successful.

Agreed. And the NHL + owners should 100% do that.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
How much exposure does their league get? The NHL is helping them get mainstream exposure for their league and players, while growing the game, attract newer audiences and sponsors. It’s good business and I’m still not sure why anyone would be against helping them out.

The ironic thing is everyone has complained about NHLers not trying in the ASG forever, and the ladies come out and try and everyone complains that they aren’t good enough. Lol!
This is a go to talking point but has no evidence to support it.
They get as much exposure as they deserve on their merits. They are Less than or roughly equal to AAA quality players.

You don't see players from the BCHL, a higher quality league, getting invited to play at the All-Star game to get them more recognition and support. You don't see some random ass AAA Teams getting put front and center of it to get them support either. Even though the skill level would be higher.

It's not ironic at all.
Everyone wants the actual elite players to try, Everybody would complain if you brought in some random AAA team and tried to shoehorn that into an NHL all-star event as well. Although probably be more receptive since it is kids.

It comes off as pandering, the only reason they are at the event is because of their gender, not their skill level, which is rather limited.
The NHL took away fan voting for the All-Star game after John Scott got voted in.
A Player that clearly doesn't belong in the event, and they did almost everything in their power to stop him from being in it.
But they have no problem pushing lesser talented players down everyone's throats, hell making them the focal point even of a skills showcase because of nothing more than their gender.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I had more fun watching that than the skills competition. And some of them were pretty talented.

patrick kitchin

Feb 26, 2018
I have WHL season tickets. So much better watch then the women. It's fine for what it is. But no hitting? Eh. I mean what is the D? Nothing but poke checks? I bet women's games have alot of stick infraction penalties.One improvement would be to allow checking. Another problem is outside of USA/Canada game would anyone care? You can't build a sport on one matchup.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
This is a go to talking point but has no evidence to support it.
They get as much exposure as they deserve on their merits. They are Less than or roughly equal to AAA quality players.

You don't see players from the BCHL, a higher quality league, getting invited to play at the All-Star game to get them more recognition and support. You don't see some random ass AAA Teams getting put front and center of it to get them support either. Even though the skill level would be higher.

It's not ironic at all.
Everyone wants the actual elite players to try, Everybody would complain if you brought in some random AAA team and tried to shoehorn that into an NHL all-star event as well. Although probably be more receptive since it is kids.

It comes off as pandering, the only reason they are at the event is because of their gender, not their skill level, which is rather limited.
The NHL took away fan voting for the All-Star game after John Scott got voted in.
A Player that clearly doesn't belong in the event, and they did almost everything in their power to stop him from being in it.
But they have no problem pushing lesser talented players down everyone's throats, hell making them the focal point even of a skills showcase because of nothing more than their gender.
The level of competition disparity isn't really about skill, more about the physical differences between the sexes that manifest in terms of performance. Some of these women have better hands and hockey IQ than your average 2nd liner in the show. The simple fact of the matter is that 50% of the people on Earth are born as women and these women are the best at hockey in the world. There is nothing hypocritical or pandery about them being shown off vs something like the BCHL lol

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
The level of competition disparity isn't really about skill, more about the physical differences between the sexes that manifest in terms of performance. Some of these women have better hands and hockey IQ than your average 2nd liner in the show. The simple fact of the matter is that 50% of the people on Earth are born as women and these women are the best at hockey in the world. There is nothing hypocritical or pandery about them being shown off vs something like the BCHL lol

I think the women playing was a smart business move and a great step at encouraging more young ladies to play the game

To the bolded, Jesus give me a break . . Talk about pandering

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
LMAO, In some fantasy world Sure they do. Or maybe when you look at the best "pro" women players against the worst "pro" women players it might look that way, but in isn't grounded in reality or have any factual basis.
It absolutely is pandering but keep living in your delusions

patrick kitchin

Feb 26, 2018
There are some very very talented women hockey players. Personally I prefer them playing their guts out to a bunch of overpaid primadonnas skate grab ass rainbow circles and yuck it up.

I'm glad the NHL is taking more of a role. I'm not sure if a WNHL could be financially viable, but I do believe it's worth investigating.

It would have a better chance if they could check.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
And did I hear tonight that they are refusing to play in the league they actually do have?
The Canadian Women's Hockey League folded last year because nobody watched the games. Those players won't play in the Women's National Hockey League because of the low pay.

It's not longer just about playing hockey and loving the game, though. Now, these players demand to be paid like their male counterparts because it's "the right thing to do." We're seeing a similar discussion take place with WNBA players. "It's not fair Lebron James makes $30 million a season and I only make $100,000 for doing the same job."

All these NHL players talk about how much they respect women's hockey but none of them would willingly give up part of their salary to fund a failing women's professional league.

Reactions: Garyboy

patrick kitchin

Feb 26, 2018
The Canadian Women's Hockey League folded last year because nobody watched the games. Those players won't play in the Women's National Hockey League because of the low pay.

It's not longer just about playing hockey and loving the game, though. Now, these players demand to be paid like their male counterparts because it's "the right thing to do." We're seeing a similar discussion take place with WNBA players. "It's not fair Lebron James makes $30 million a season and I only make $100,000 for doing the same job."

All these NHL players talk about how much they respect women's hockey but none of them would willingly give up part of their salary to fund a failing women's professional league.

My response would be fill up a good portion of a 18,000 seat arena 40 times a year, get a multi million TV deal and you can make the same lol.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

Ignoring the rest of it, 1 They aren't going to come out and say they suck (whether they think it or not) . Most of them have been PR Coached like mad on what to say to offend the fewest people possible.
2, why the hell should they?

Reactions: EdJovanovski

patrick kitchin

Feb 26, 2018
These girls really have unrealistic expectations for salary. I think they keep hearing how great they are, as everyone wants to encourage more female hockey, and its clouded thier judgement.

It's the same with the WNBA. Lebron makes more! Well duh. He is a worldwide brand. Can you name 3 WNBA players? I'll make it easier. How about naming 3 teams? No you arent making as much. It's not sexism its economics. Your product isnt in high demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad