A positive thread about the ASG women's 3 on 3 match

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
It had its moments. I was really hoping that some of the bitter Canada/USA rivalry would sneak into the game. I thought that a little seriousness among all the fan-fare would have been a good showing for them.

Reactions: shello

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Had no problem with the event, worked well, broke up the BS that is the Skills Comp....

If they keep this up, and do it again, 4on4.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Great awareness I guess but how are people gonna pay to see it ? They are at about midget triples guys level. Just dont see the business case.

The quality is objectively horrendous. They aren't at Midget AAA level. They generally lose the games they play against the 16-17 year old boys, and the boys are playing a game with no hitting allowed for the first time since they were 12. Unfortunately the quality of the women's game means that unless the NHL or owners with deep pockets want to subsidize a pro league that loses money, it will never be successful.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
The quality is objectively horrendous. They aren't at Midget AAA level. They generally lose the games they play against the 16-17 year old boys, and the boys are playing a game with no hitting allowed for the first time since they were 12. Unfortunately the quality of the women's game means that unless the NHL or owners with deep pockets want to subsidize a pro league that loses money, it will never be successful.
Agree, I was being generous about the maaa comparison.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
It was good in the sense college hockey and certain leagues can be, relative to teams their level. More open game, more mistakes, more opportunity to make moves makes it quicker pace trading chances. Also, of course, 3v3.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I see both sides of this. My daughter is an elite 14 year old being recruited heavily by prep programs - I'd love to see a league/level of pro play for her to emulate, look up to and strive for beyond c-sport/NCAA where shes likely to end up.

At the same time, I agree that the highest level female hockey is on par with U18 AAA boys/junior A. As such, it's not unreasonable for people to want to pay similar prices as that to watch the women play. There's no revenue system for pro female hockey that rivals the men.

Not sure how to feel

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Just got home from BP's watched the 3 vs 3 in the bar. I thought it was very entertaining. Back and forth I liked the Canada vs. USA setup.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
I see both sides of this. My daughter is an elite 14 year old being recruited heavily by prep programs - I'd love to see a league/level of pro play for her to emulate, look up to and strive for beyond c-sport/NCAA where shes likely to end up.

At the same time, I agree that the highest level female hockey is on par with U18 AAA boys/junior A. As such, it's not unreasonable for people to want to pay similar prices as that to watch the women play. There's no revenue system for pro female hockey that rivals the men.

Not sure how to feel
Only way wnhl could be feasible is if it was subsidized by nhl teams. Sorry. Just like the WNBA. Or women’s soccer. Or the lingerie football league. Very few people will pay to watch it, and the salaries will reflect it.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
It’s so weird: I find the same kind of people that degrade this match are probably the same people that lament about how things were so much better in the old days etc.
Well in the old days people used to take the higher ground and not just complain endlessly. You guys are the ones that f***ed it up.
Stop complaining and please S.T.FU.

Glad the game was a head turner for lots of people.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
It’s so weird: I find the same kind of people that degrade this match are probably the same people that lament about how things were so much better in the old days etc.
Well in the old days people used to take the higher ground and not just complain endlessly. You guys are the ones that ****ed it up.
Stop complaining and please S.T.FU.

Glad the game was a head turner for lots of people.

How did it turn heads? Did this make anything about womens hockey more apparent than the Olympics? I enjoyed it. Just don't try to oversell it :P

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Every step is setting up a “woke” co-Ed league. The games will resemble the one tonight and the one tomorrow.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
For me women’s hockey is different enough from men’s where I’m kinda interested. Don’t really dig the 3 v 3 but I think the women’s game has more to offer than, say, women’s soccer. I guess some b-ball purists actually like the wnba, but that don’t work for me either. Idk, personally I could get behind an actually functional women’s league (which imo has not existed yet) and I’m glad the NHL did this. Meanwhile a lot of non-hockey fans struggle to keep up with the puck/speed in the NHL- maybe a women’s league could help introduce that? I’m probably talkin outta my ass, but I’m also not disingenuous- women’s hockey is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad