A positive thread about the ASG women's 3 on 3 match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
How did it turn heads? Did this make anything about womens hockey more apparent than the Olympics? I enjoyed it. Just don't try to oversell it :P
It turned heads because you can see mention from a multitude of people that they were entertained. They watched not knowing what to expect and came away happy with it.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
It turned heads because you can see mention from a multitude of people that they were entertained. They watched not knowing what to expect and came away happy with it.
So that particular fan doesn't watch women's Olympic hockey then. Again...All Star game is good for exposure. I think the Olympics obviously far more so though. The lack of competition internationally makes things tough to do more WOrld Jr type tourneys. Basically US against Canada.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I enjoyed it. Thought Poulin clearly showed why she’s the best female player in the world. Both goalies played pretty well too.

Plus Canada beat the USA which is always a good thing at any level of hockey.

Reactions: shello

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
I see both sides of this. My daughter is an elite 14 year old being recruited heavily by prep programs - I'd love to see a league/level of pro play for her to emulate, look up to and strive for beyond c-sport/NCAA where shes likely to end up.

At the same time, I agree that the highest level female hockey is on par with U18 AAA boys/junior A. As such, it's not unreasonable for people to want to pay similar prices as that to watch the women play. There's no revenue system for pro female hockey that rivals the men.

Not sure how to feel
A jr A team should easily beat both those teams

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
I don't get why people can be angry about this. It was fun.

giphy.gif

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I was surprised that they didn't employ NHL strategy of controlling the puck at all costs, even if it means giving up the offensive zone for shifting a fresh line. Honestly it looked like the coaches basically played a 5 on 5 strategy, which was bizarre. Ultimately balls out for 20 minutes with no thought to possession and line changes IMO.

Fairly entertaining as a novelty otherwise.

Reactions: yada

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
It’s so weird: I find the same kind of people that degrade this match are probably the same people that lament about how things were so much better in the old days etc.
Well in the old days people used to take the higher ground and not just complain endlessly. You guys are the ones that ****ed it up.
Stop complaining and please S.T.FU.

Glad the game was a head turner for lots of people.
They are wonderful female athletes that work hard and achieved the best level for their class.

They will not generate a living in pro league. They need to realize that. They should get paid for Olympics thou, that brings in money !

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
It’s so weird: I find the same kind of people that degrade this match are probably the same people that lament about how things were so much better in the old days etc.
Well in the old days people used to take the higher ground and not just complain endlessly. You guys are the ones that ****ed it up.
Stop complaining and please S.T.FU.

Glad the game was a head turner for lots of people.

Your post is the most negative and degrading and angry in the thread so far.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
It had its moments. I was really hoping that some of the bitter Canada/USA rivalry would sneak into the game. I thought that a little seriousness among all the fan-fare would have been a good showing for them.

I dont think they "hate" each other as the media makes them out to. They hate each other as teams like the Leafs/Habs, Flames/Oilers. I'm sure the players respect each other more than most people think.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
why would you ever compare womens hockey to mens. that is not the point

its impressive that these girls put their body on the line on the ice, for a man i would expect that but expectations are different for womens hockey

still a competition of which women is the best, comparing men and women directly in sports is pointless

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
There should be more women’s hockey on TV
Tough sell overall, AHL and CHL don't draw on TV, but that's not the wave of the future (wave of the future), these days anymore.

It's online streaming rights. If they can get people to watch AHL/CHL/Women's from the comfort of home, that's the win. They just need the broadcasts of most of these events to not come off looking like a high school kid is running them.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
It wasn't good quality hockey, but it was worth having happened.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I was surprised that they didn't employ NHL strategy of controlling the puck at all costs, even if it means giving up the offensive zone for shifting a fresh line. Honestly it looked like the coaches basically played a 5 on 5 strategy, which was bizarre. Ultimately balls out for 20 minutes with no thought to possession and line changes IMO.

Fairly entertaining as a novelty otherwise.

I think you have to think back to the first year of 3 on 3 overtime. It was honestly a lot more hectic than what it has become once the NHL coaches and players started getting a better feel. That first year significantly more games were ending in overtime if I remember right as teams traded chances back and forth. There was an adjustment and I would expect if the women played in this format a lot more some of those concepts would start to bleed in. Honestly, this kind of version is more entertaining so I am glad they played a more high tempo high danger style of hockey.

Thought it was enjoyable, but I usually watch USA vs Canada when they meet up, so I am not in the crowd they are struggling to get. I guess to the league wide question, I have doubts... Mostly because I am watching an NHL game every night and I cannot imagine they are just going to target the off-season, the WNBA does do this to an extent, but it is hard to think mid-summer hockey with the women is really going to be a thing. I am glad the league is doing this, not sure it radically changes anything for me in terms of women's hockey, I am a casual fan of it, but not one that is investing dollars and a lot of time which is ultimately what it needs...

Reactions: Viqsi and Tofveve

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Just finished watching and I thought the Womans game was the best part of a really boring skills competition. Actual hockey was being played and there was a sense of more energy. Everything else fell really flat. I was even thinking about skills competitions of 20 or so years ago and maybe I'm misremembering them being exciting because I felt like I wasted time watching that.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I don’t understand why people have to point out the quality of women’s hockey. We all know where it stands. I’m sure they do too. The point is to get them exposure to help them work towards their own league so they can have their own all star games.

That’s the ——> point.
They have their own league. they had two, but one already folded. A lot of the players decided to sit out because they think they're worth more money than they are, and the NHL keeps pushing this agenda of them being "super skilled" and "elite", which is why everyone points out that it is exactly not that

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
It wasn't too bad it had it's moments.

However, if the goal of that 3 on 3 was actually to generate excitement or enthusiasm for the NWHL I just don't see how it did or would.

Reactions: Pomee

Mumbo

Aug 6, 2013
If you're complaining that it was boring then guess what, you weren't the target audience.

This was great not only for the women's league, but also to potentially get more women interested in hockey and especially to show young girls that they too can play hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->