A Peace Offering

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
"I see a beautiful city.... and a brilliant people, rising from this abyss..... I see the lives, for which I lay down my life - peaceful, useful, prosperous and happy..... I see that I hold a sanctuary in their hearts, and in the hearts of their descendants, generations hence..... It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known......"

-Moderator code of honor

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Great.

But summer is almost over and hypothetical doomed scenarios will soon be crushed by another top of the standing season by the Bruins.

Enjoy the ride to a 3rd SCF in 5 years fellow B's fans!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
"I see a beautiful city.... and a brilliant people, rising from this abyss..... I see the lives, for which I lay down my life - peaceful, useful, prosperous and happy..... I see that I hold a sanctuary in their hearts, and in the hearts of their descendants, generations hence..... It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known......"

-Moderator code of honor

Wait, this isn't from "Dark Knight Rises"?

:laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I applaud Brad for the effort, but the cynical side of me says that people are what they are. Some people can hold a civil discussion/debate, some cannot.They may behave for a day or two, but the first heated discussion that comes up, back to their old selves.

Screw you. :naughty:

WickedBruinsGirl

May 1, 2003
Cambridge
I'm not a frequent poster here much anymore, but 75% of the time I feel like I need body armor to post here and be prepared to defend whatever I write - no matter what the post is about.

I think it has to do with a mutual respect. We're all humans behind a keyboard. We do have feelings (most of the time). It's the common vibe around here from what I've seen when I lurk.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I'm not a frequent poster here much anymore, but 75% of the time I feel like I need body armor to post here and be prepared to defend whatever I write - no matter what the post is about.

I think it has to do with a mutual respect. We're all humans behind a keyboard. We do have feelings (most of the time). It's the common vibe around here from what I've seen when I lurk.

You should always be prepared to defend what you write. You shouldn't have to defend yourself for writing it, though, and that's the problem IMO.

It's become easier to sling names, insults, and silly emoji's instead of thoughtfully arguing the point that you disagree with. We've become lazy.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
You should always be prepared to defend what you write. You shouldn't have to defend yourself for writing it, though, and that's the problem IMO.

It's become easier to sling names, insults, and silly emoji's instead of thoughtfully arguing the point that you disagree with. We've become lazy.

Especially in the past few months. It is also one poster making a snarky/backhanded comment, and then a few posters who agree with said snarky poster just piling it on, adding no discussion whatsoever, and just furthering the insult. That's what I dislike the most. It's virtual bullying.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Not enough levity and self-deprecation round here. A lil bit of both can go a long way. And the yo and amazed emoticons always help. :yo::amazed:

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Good point.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
human nature is to be negative in forums like this... its by no means unique to our little family and for the most part i have to just ignore all that crap cause its never going to change.

the one thing that always aches my heart is the simple fact that cheering a sports team is about entertainment ONLY! we are called fans because its short for fanatic.

sports is about cheering guys to go out and fight our battles for us on the field... its about us being able to feel like winners if our team wins.

what i dont get... is so many people coming here and constantly putting up one negative post about the team after another negative post.

i mean we all like to ***** and gripe on game night if our team lost... or complain about some contract or trade on the day its done... and thats not what im talking about

i mean people with agenda's that are clearly designed to crap on the rest of us.

i go way back here... there was a time we werent making the playoffs. i still wanted to be happy on nights the team won. some fans told me it was either cup or nothing... either the team wins a cup or its crap.

that mentality is never going to be understandable to me. i feel bad for fans with that attitude because they clearly arent getting any joy from this process. for me, i celebrate my fellow fans coming here to form a community where its about supporting the team and sharing our love with one another but i am never going to feel that welcome to people that cant give anything but miseray to the experience here.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
human nature is to be negative in forums like this... its by no means unique to our little family and for the most part i have to just ignore all that crap cause its never going to change.

the one thing that always aches my heart is the simple fact that cheering a sports team is about entertainment ONLY! we are called fans because its short for fanatic.

sports is about cheering guys to go out and fight our battles for us on the field... its about us being able to feel like winners if our team wins.

what i dont get... is so many people coming here and constantly putting up one negative post about the team after another negative post.

i mean we all like to ***** and gripe on game night if our team lost... or complain about some contract or trade on the day its done... and thats not what im talking about

i mean people with agenda's that are clearly designed to crap on the rest of us.

i go way back here... there was a time we werent making the playoffs. i still wanted to be happy on nights the team won. some fans told me it was either cup or nothing... either the team wins a cup or its crap.

that mentality is never going to be understandable to me. i feel bad for fans with that attitude because they clearly arent getting any joy from this process. for me, i celebrate my fellow fans coming here to form a community where its about supporting the team and sharing our love with one another but i am never going to feel that welcome to people that cant give anything but miseray to the experience here.

Don't know about that.

I belong to another Bruins board with some others that regularly post here and the respect among the posters there is unbelievable. There isn't always 100% agreement but great dialogue and I've even seen opinions changed because of those discussions.

If people's opinions can change because of discussion, then it's doing what it is suppose to do. If we are calling each other idiots, then its just a waste of time.

Whiskey Sam

Puck Monkey
Oct 22, 2008
The Old Dominion
There's a trend the board has taken in recent years that bothers me. I'll be the first to admit that I've taken part in it and even lead the charge at times...but it's the trend of "I'm right and you're stupid."

The trend that "You disagree with me, so you're some kind of hater" or "Wow, be an apologist more." Sweeping generalizations, sarcastic remarks that flow from one thread to another. The dreaded(at least in my mind) :sarcasm: posts that add nothing to the conversation other than to make the point of bullying another. If you ask me, this place has gone off the deep end, and it's nonsense like this that has driven many great posters away...however, it's not beyond recovery. I must ask this question...is anyone here to truly mock others opinion? If so, log out.

I believe we all are here for one common reason, to have an outlet to discuss the Boston Bruins. Whether you became a fan because they're the local team, because their history, their style, a certain player, a certain team, whatever the reason..we've all come here to discuss that. Whether someone thinks the team is softer, or tryouts are a waste of time, or that the Bruins are the best ever and do no wrong..we're all here on one common ground. To share those opinions. Do I believe some opinions are flat out wrong? Yes, of course. Do those opinions deserve berating and bullying? No. There are some people here that it blows my mind to find out they are above the age of 14 for how they handle things.

With the 2014-15 season right around the corner, why don't we all strive to be better? Instead of pushing the throttle on what seems to me to be a crashing plane, why not take a look in the mirror and be part of correcting the flight. This can be a great place where people share ideas and opinions that you may not have thought of in the past...rather than bullying and mocking, why not be open to an idea that isn't yours?

I know it's something I'll strive to do and hope you do the same so rather than good posters fleeing to create their own place free of you, they come willing to share. Call it my 2014-15 season "resolution."

-Brad

P.S. Pearl Jam is a great band and all of you suck. That's what this post is really about :naughty:

Excellent post. This is not unique to this board, but is a problem across the internet.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Does this apply to the posters that were very mature (probably a decade older than me) making fun of my name?

I enjoy this site but at times it gets frustrating when the same group of posters will gang up on someone just because they have a different opinion than the majority. Not looking for sympathy, but maybe, just maybe that's what sets people off from visiting and posting on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad