A Peace Offering

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

There's a trend the board has taken in recent years that bothers me. I'll be the first to admit that I've taken part in it and even lead the charge at times...but it's the trend of "I'm right and you're stupid."

The trend that "You disagree with me, so you're some kind of hater" or "Wow, be an apologist more." Sweeping generalizations, sarcastic remarks that flow from one thread to another. The dreaded(at least in my mind) :sarcasm: posts that add nothing to the conversation other than to make the point of bullying another. If you ask me, this place has gone off the deep end, and it's nonsense like this that has driven many great posters away...however, it's not beyond recovery. I must ask this question...is anyone here to truly mock others opinion? If so, log out.

I believe we all are here for one common reason, to have an outlet to discuss the Boston Bruins. Whether you became a fan because they're the local team, because their history, their style, a certain player, a certain team, whatever the reason..we've all come here to discuss that. Whether someone thinks the team is softer, or tryouts are a waste of time, or that the Bruins are the best ever and do no wrong..we're all here on one common ground. To share those opinions. Do I believe some opinions are flat out wrong? Yes, of course. Do those opinions deserve berating and bullying? No. There are some people here that it blows my mind to find out they are above the age of 14 for how they handle things.

With the 2014-15 season right around the corner, why don't we all strive to be better? Instead of pushing the throttle on what seems to me to be a crashing plane, why not take a look in the mirror and be part of correcting the flight. This can be a great place where people share ideas and opinions that you may not have thought of in the past...rather than bullying and mocking, why not be open to an idea that isn't yours?

I know it's something I'll strive to do and hope you do the same so rather than good posters fleeing to create their own place free of you, they come willing to share. Call it my 2014-15 season "resolution."

-Brad

P.S. Pearl Jam is a great band and all of you suck. That's what this post is really about :naughty:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
There's a trend the board has taken in recent years that bothers me. I'll be the first to admit that I've taken part in it and even lead the charge at times...but it's the trend of "I'm right and you're stupid."

The trend that "You disagree with me, so you're some kind of hater" or "Wow, be an apologist more." Sweeping generalizations, sarcastic remarks that flow from one thread to another. The dreaded(at least in my mind) :sarcasm: posts that add nothing to the conversation other than to make the point of bullying another. If you ask me, this place has gone off the deep end, and it's nonsense like this that has driven many great posters away...however, it's not beyond recovery. I must ask this question...is anyone here to truly mock others opinion? If so, log out.

I believe we all are here for one common reason, to have an outlet to discuss the Boston Bruins. Whether you became a fan because they're the local team, because their history, their style, a certain player, a certain team, whatever the reason..we've all come here to discuss that. Whether someone thinks the team is softer, or tryouts are a waste of time, or that the Bruins are the best ever and do no wrong..we're all here on one common ground. To share those opinions. Do I believe some opinions are flat out wrong? Yes, of course. Do those opinions deserve berating and bullying? No. There are some people here that it blows my mind to find out they are above the age of 14 for how they handle things.

With the 2014-15 season right around the corner, why don't we all strive to be better? Instead of pushing the throttle on what seems to me to be a crashing plane, why not take a look in the mirror and be part of correcting the flight. This can be a great place where people share ideas and opinions that you may not have thought of in the past...rather than bullying and mocking, why not be open to an idea that isn't yours?

I know it's something I'll strive to do and hope you do the same so rather than good posters fleeing to create their own place free of you, they come willing to share. Call it my 2014-15 season "resolution."

-Brad

P.S. Pearl Jam is a great band and all of you suck. That's what this post is really about :naughty:

I quite agree, and thanks for making the effort to promote good conversation and debate, rather than the other stuff. Never been a fan of snark -- you can find that anywhere these days -- though I prize wit. There's a difference.

"Let's agree to disagree," and "We can agree without being disagreeable" have always worked for me.

As for that Pearl Jam bit, I don't even know where to start... ;)

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
The B's are going to have a great year! We should all be excited to have a great team and fan base to follow. Well said

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yea I agree I get into it too I feel bad when I realize how much I piss off people like EverettMike just writing what I think and then being mean to those who disagree with me.

I think I have been really mean to Artemis too because I often disagree with her I apologize for being so nasty to her and others I can't think of off the top of my head I disagree with.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
good post, ever since I've had my account here it's been exactly this. Nobody is open minded, including myself.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Peace is a state unnatural to humankind.

However, I do appreciate the Mother Theresa like mood here.

Live long and prosper.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Peace is a state unnatural to humankind.

However, I do appreciate the Mother Theresa like mood here.

Live long and prosper.

:laugh: when discussion gets heated, just politely ask the poster to join you in the peace thread. Or we could start the Mother Theresa thread:sarcasm:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
:laugh: when discussion gets heated, just politely ask the poster to join you in the peace thread. Or we could start the Mother Theresa thread:sarcasm:

Or take it to PM :sarcasm:

I recently saw a post that basically said "I was talking to X. Keep your nose out of it and mind your own business."

Well, if you're having a private conversation it should be in PM not for everyone else to see. If you're going to post it in the open, then expect a reply from someone other than the person it's intended for.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Yea I agree I get into it too I feel bad when I realize how much I piss off people like EverettMike just writing what I think and then being mean to those who disagree with me.

I think I have been really mean to Artemis too because I often disagree with her I apologize for being so nasty to her and others I can't think of off the top of my head I disagree with.

Thank you. Back at you, and anyone else. Namaste everyone.

I'm sure I've heard a Pearl Jam song, but I couldn't name one. I think I was listening to Sesame Street when they were at their peak. :)

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
....sooooo what you're saying is we should let the goodwill flow and NOT tell the rest of the board that you're drunk right now?

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Eddie Vedder doesn't even need a mcrophone, anyone who does not believe that Pearl Jam is the greatest band of all time is an idiot.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Eddie Vedder doesn't even need a mcrophone, anyone who does not believe that Pearl Jam is the greatest band of all time is an idiot.

While I think they are quite a group, we will have to agree to disagree.

I see your early 90's youtube video and raise you one where very few people knew what they were witnessing would turn out to be one of the greatest rock bands of all time:

member 96824

While I think they are quite a group, we will have to agree to disagree.

I see your early 90's youtube video and raise you one where very few people knew what they were witnessing would turn out to be one of the greatest rock bands of all time:

Not to make this a music thread, but there's very little in this world I wouldn't give to see Maynard back in his prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad