A Month Before Try-Outs!! HELP!!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
How does this schedulke look??
(IN ORDER)
Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays:TabT 20 seconds HARD , 10 second rest repeat 6 times (3 mins)

Then 5 reps 15 push ups, 5 chin ups, 20 sit ups, 25 lunges, 30 tricep burners, 2 Hand Stand push ups (HARD!).

Tuesday, Thursdays, Saturdays: HIIT 30 seconds HARD, 30 seconds rest. Repeat 10 times for 10 mins.

Cool Down (5-15 mins)

2k jog.

Sunday: ?????.... Calm day.. Go for a Rollerblade

*Everyday stickhandle and shoot around for at least 30 mins.

Feel Free to add anything!

It looks fine. Get plenty of rest and eat a good diet. Make sure you recover between workouts. Throw in a lighter day if you feel otherwise and pump it up a bit if you think you can handle it.

Don't forget to lighten the load a bit as tryouts approach. That's the competition you are trying to peak for. That's your playoffs. That's your Stanley Cup.

Last edited:

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
go further on your runs. 2k really isn't a whole lot. I'm not saying go run a 10k, but I'd at least double your 2k.

Can I ask why you haven't been on the ice since March?

OilTownHero

Feb 13, 2009
I ran 4k, and because there is no ice on the prairies! And my parents don't believe in playing hockey in the summer :D

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I can understand you not being able to play hockey in the summer... but it doesn't mean you have to abandon the game entirely.

From my limited experience, I've found that players make their biggest strides in the offseason. It gives you a lot of time to work on your skills and improve your fitness.

Videogames can be a nice tool for relaxation (heck, I've taken elements from NHL 09 and incorporated them into *my* game!) but you definitely shouldn't be playing while you're biking (I think that's why we're all really angry with you). Shut the videogames off while you're biking, and re-visit them later in the night. Try not to play for more than an hour each night (that's about 4 games against the CPU, or 2-3 online ranked games)

TBH, I don't think it would kill you to read a book =P

Anyways, it doesn't make sense to totally transform your diet. Post what you're eating now and -- as long as it's not potato chips for breakfast and ice cream for dinner -- we can offer "tweaks".

I thought I'd add this... Tabata jumping squats = KILLER. I put a piece of bamboo stick over my traps and held it in place like a weight bar to prevent myself from using my shoulders to aid in the jumping movement (I like to isolate my legs... if I want full body I do burpees). I did this last night and I've been struggling to walk all day :laugh:

Last edited:

OilTownHero

Feb 13, 2009
Hey folks!!

Kareem Helped me with this, and today I did the following!

Burpees 7 with a 10 second break then 6 10 second break then 5.4.3.2.1 - A good start to my workout!

Then I did the bike ride!!

20 seconds hard 10 seconds rest for 4 minutes at a time and 4 reps of it with a 1-2 minute break in between reps.

Lastly I did 4 reps of 10 push ups, 20 bodyweight squats, 5 chin ups, 10 lunges, and 5 plyometric push ups!!

Was I pooped! But I am feeling great now!! Any more things I should be eating or recommendations??

Thanks hfboards!

Semper Sens

Nov 10, 2007
Hey folks!!

Kareem Helped me with this, and today I did the following!

Burpees 7 with a 10 second break then 6 10 second break then 5.4.3.2.1 - A good start to my workout!

Then I did the bike ride!!

20 seconds hard 10 seconds rest for 4 minutes at a time and 4 reps of it with a 1-2 minute break in between reps.

Lastly I did 4 reps of 10 push ups, 20 bodyweight squats, 5 chin ups, 10 lunges, and 5 plyometric push ups!!

Was I pooped! But I am feeling great now!! Any more things I should be eating or recommendations??

Thanks hfboards!

That's awesome OilTownHero! Keep at it and remember your tryout for motivation.

Kareem, are you trying to get him started on the prison burpee challenge? That stuff is insane.

OCanada

Aug 8, 2007
NO ice in the prairies? I live in Rural Manitoba and have access to ice all over the place. Yes you may have to drive an hour but its worth it. IMO, getting back on the ice now is the most important thing you can do. Knock all that rust off your game well before your tryouts.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
That's awesome OilTownHero! Keep at it and remember your tryout for motivation.

Kareem, are you trying to get him started on the prison burpee challenge? That stuff is insane.

They're countdowns, I gave him a nice little program with progressions and based on what they do in US middle schools and what he already knows. It's a program that's a lot like what I'm doing except it's all bodyweight and cut up in short 10 to 25 minute sessions. I gave him a relatively easy starting progression with steps on how he can make it harder if it gets too easy from week to week with a lot of emphasis on SAFETY. That said, the last progression imo is very difficult and couldn't be sustained over a long period. Eventually, he'll hopefully get a qualified coach when he gets older to learn to lift and do more advanced exercises.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad