A Month Before Try-Outs!! HELP!!

OilTownHero

Feb 13, 2009
I have been working out but I need to do more, I ride the bike for about 25 mibns while playing NHL 09 and between whistles I pedal as hard as I can and that get's my heart pumpin'. I used to go to a Gym and that was good for strenght training, but I haven't gotten back to that Gym after my membership expired. I am starting to do my own thing at home that consists of 4 reps of 15 push ups, 20 sit ups, 25 lunges with 5 pound weights (only weights I got ;)), 2 Hand Stand Push ups, 5 pull ups, and 30 of what I call Tricep burners.

But there is now a month before try outs for Bantam AA and I have to be at my best.

What Kind of Diet should I be on?? What kind of things should I add to my work outs?? What should I do to get my hockey feel back??

HELP HELP HELP!!!

I need to make AA I have been waiting to make it for a year!! I need to do this.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I have been working out but I need to do more, I ride the bike for about 25 mibns while playing NHL 09 and between whistles I pedal as hard as I can and that get's my heart pumpin'. I used to go to a Gym and that was good for strenght training, but I haven't gotten back to that Gym after my membership expired. I am starting to do my own thing at home that consists of 4 reps of 15 push ups, 20 sit ups, 25 lunges with 5 pound weights (only weights I got ;)), 2 Hand Stand Push ups, 5 pull ups, and 30 of what I call Tricep burners.

But there is now a month before try outs for Bantam AA and I have to be at my best.

What Kind of Diet should I be on?? What kind of things should I add to my work outs?? What should I do to get my hockey feel back??

HELP HELP HELP!!!

I need to make AA I have been waiting to make it for a year!! I need to do this.
Better luck next year.

---

Fortunately for you, AA hockey isn't too difficult to get into. You'll be able to squeeze by as a less-than-fit player if you have the skillset and the skating ability to play at that level. I don't know how good you are as a hockey player, but you might be able to make it based on your skills.

You should try to throw some burpees into your program. The movement combines a jumping squat and a pushup, which will allow you to work the upper body a little bit while focusing on your lower body as a hockey player should.

I would also put down the NHL 09 controller and take the biking seriously. Since you're near your computer or game console, put on some music. You'll want some structure to your biking habits.

I'd also recommend taking 10-30 minutes PER DAY to practice stickhandling... even if it's in your driveway. If you can, work on your shooting too.

Last edited:

OilTownHero

Feb 13, 2009
Better luck next year.

---

Fortunately for you, AA hockey isn't too difficult to get into. You'll be able to squeeze by as a less-than-fit player if you have the skillset and the skating ability to play at that level. I don't know how good you are as a hockey player, but you might be able to make it based on your skills.

You should try to throw some burpees into your program. The movement combines a jumping squat and a pushup, which will allow you to work the upper body a little bit while focusing on your lower body as a hockey player should.

I would also put down the NHL 09 controller and take the biking seriously. Since you're near your computer or game console, put on some music. You'll want some structure to your biking habits.

I'd also recommend taking 10-30 minutes PER DAY to practice stickhandling... even if it's in your driveway. If you can, work on your shooting too.

??? And thanks, So 4 reps or 10?? or 20?? And Dieting tips?? I am pretty skilled.... AA is teir 1 btw.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Should I be Jogging or Running instead??? I have a bike that you sit back in!

A recumbent bike?

You better start running. Look up HIIT (high intensity interval training) and try to incorporate it into your workout.

For pushups/pullups/situps do whatever you can. Maybe do 5 sets of 20 and go to failure on the 6th set (until you can't possibly do another one). It's not hockey specific training at all, but you're only 13 or 14 so anything would help.

Semper Sens

Nov 10, 2007
I was looking up that old thread where somebody was talking about HIIT and I found out that was you! Here is the link to the last thread you had about HIIT (link)

I have finely deemed my ankle fit for tabata (I don't really think it is, but it's close enough that I don't think it will be a huge deal) and so I will be doing burpee tabata tonight! Join me, OilTownHero and we shall shout of our conquests to the rooftops of the Rink forum!

:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

Just remember, MAX EFFORT! TBH, I can't think of anything that more perfectly matches burpee tabata then your need to whip yourself in shape for hockey tryouts. As noobman said, burpees work everything you will use in hockey in what would seem to be the right ratio of lower body to upper body, while also helping your conditioning immensely.

Yes, it will be hard, but think of the women you'll get when you're on the AA team.

OilTownHero

Feb 13, 2009
Hahahaha ya, What are you doing with the burpees?? Tell me how it goes... I will try it!!

Semper Sens

Nov 10, 2007
I just finished stretching and I have 5 minutes until I start warm-up.

Like I said, my sprained ankle is finally feeling better so I'm not "doing" anything with the burpees. Tonight will be the first time for tabata for me and I've read nothing but amazing thnigs about it for the entire time I've been ingured. I've heard many times that is like hell the first few times but I can't wait to reap the benefits! Do it man, nothing will help you more than tabata.

Anyways, pray for me. I'll post back once I'm done to let you know how it goes.

OilTownHero

Feb 13, 2009
How does this schedulke look??
(IN ORDER)
Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays:TabT 20 seconds HARD , 10 second rest repeat 6 times (3 mins)

Then 5 reps 15 push ups, 5 chin ups, 20 sit ups, 25 lunges, 30 tricep burners, 2 Hand Stand push ups (HARD!).

Tuesday, Thursdays, Saturdays: HIIT 30 seconds HARD, 30 seconds rest. Repeat 10 times for 10 mins.

Cool Down (5-15 mins)

2k jog.

Sunday: ?????.... Calm day.. Go for a Rollerblade

*Everyday stickhandle and shoot around for at least 30 mins.

Feel Free to add anything!

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
I ride the bike for about 25 mibns while playing NHL 09

HELP HELP HELP!!!

Ok, there are no Stanley cup championships for playing Nintendo. If you are serious about your hockey, you should have been playing hockey throughout the Summer like all of the rest of the kids that are now going to be making the team that played all Summer long.

I see it every year as a Head coach. Players come to try out hoping to make the team and they don't because they are not in shape. Then I get parents complaining that I did select their kid because he was playing Nintendo all Summer long.

Then the parent expects me to cut the other kid who brought their game up a notch by playing hockey all Summer long.

Waiting to the last two weeks to get into shape will not help you. You will not be ready in time. You should have placed the controller down three months ago. Yes, I don't mean to be a tool, but the other kids are several months ahead of you in conditioning. You better hope that they were playing Nintendo like you.

Odds are, they were not. Oh, and buy the way. I would start running today. Because if you loose your lunch on the ice, it a sure high sign to the coach that you are out of shape. If you plan on making the team, you better not even show that you are out of shape or you might get cut for the other guy.

Next time, I suggest you start thinking about your future as a hockey player and not a Nintendo Stanley cup winner. The difference between a pro and an amateur is that a pro does things that the average player won't do! Like work hard and go the extra mile.

In order to make it to the pro's you have to stand out from all of the rest of the 20 million hockey players trying out for that one spot. Can you make it? It all depends on how much commitment you have and the things you are willing to give up (NHL 09) to make it.

Let me ask you this. Wouldn't you rather see other kids playing "you" on NHL 09? Well this isn't going to happen if you are playing it. Get your sh** together and start getting serious about your future!

Head coach

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Ok, there are no Stanley cup championships for playing Nintendo. If you are serious about your hockey, you should have been playing hockey throughout the Summer like all of the rest of the kids that are now going to be making the team that played all Summer long.

I see it every year as a Head coach. Players come to try out hoping to make the team and they don't because they are not in shape. Then I get parents complaining that I did select their kid because he was playing Nintendo all Summer long.

Then the parent expects me to cut the other kid who brought their game up a notch by playing hockey all Summer long.

Waiting to the last two weeks to get into shape will not help you. You will not be ready in time. You should have placed the controller down three months ago. Yes, I don't mean to be a tool, but the other kids are several months ahead of you in conditioning. You better hope that they were playing Nintendo like you.

Odds are, they were not. Oh, and buy the way. I would start running today. Because if you loose your lunch on the ice, it a sure high sign to the coach that you are out of shape. If you plan on making the team, you better not even show that you are out of shape or you might get cut for the other guy.

Next time, I suggest you start thinking about your future as a hockey player and not a Nintendo Stanley cup winner. The difference between a pro and an amateur is that a pro does things that the average player won't do! Like work hard and go the extra mile.

In order to make it to the pro's you have to stand out from all of the rest of the 20 million hockey players trying out for that one spot. Can you make it? It all depends on how much commitment you have and the things you are willing to give up (NHL 09) to make it.

Let me ask you this. Wouldn't you rather see other kids playing "you" on NHL 09? Well this isn't going to happen if you are playing it. Get your sh** together and start getting serious about your future!

Head coach
Hey old man... nobody plays nintendo anymore... it's called an xbox or ps3

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

Head coach

words of wisdom coach, but maybe you're a little harsh on the kid...he's only bantam, don't expect him to be a pro, though if you do become a pro, OilTownHero, then you can say that this thread changed your life :P

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Better luck next year.

---

Bantam 'AA' can be a VERY high level to play at...depending on where you are.

If he's trying out in/around Edmonton ...he's going to be up against kids who are already drafted/protected by various Major JR. teams.

overnath

Nov 29, 2007
Peterborough/Windsor
Should be doing some HIIT... Not 20/10 like you said, but more like 2 min on/ 30 seconds off. There are studys that show HIIT like this can make some massive improvements in your cardio within a short amount of time. As far as intensity goes, think of a wingate test.... If you wonder what a wingate is, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5_rG30BSiM..... If you dont want to do this, look into crossfit

As far as nutrition goes read some articles from John Berardi, He in my opinion is one of the best nutritionists in the world. Think he has done some work for the leafs as well.

Get a gym membership, NHL 09 and an xbox = $400..... that's a gym membership right there.... Since you have zero time, just try to get your core strength and CNS up via deadlifts, cleans, squats,bench, box jumps (if you can do them properly).

I could add more to this, if you have any questions or want to know anything pm me

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
i personally work out for 2 hr's per day a month before tryouts during leg curls,arm curls pushups 4 salads a day. 10 k run 40k bike ride(pretty quick) and cool off on a 5 min sprint on stationary. I mix it up sometimes also like some days will be legs or arms etc. I made AAA starter goalie for 2 years and a year before that i made A LW. I reccomend the HIIT, biking,runs and some weights (nothing too big just a bit) to get you in shape and ready, also a shooting pad helps 1000x with stickhandling with a golf ball

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Too bad you don't live in Montreal, I would whip you into shape for free hehehe(people around me all want to train with me because of my intensity). PM me, if you really have 4 weeks and you're serious maybe we can somewghat salvage your off-season.

OilTownHero

Feb 13, 2009
Keep the tips coming.

I think I have a good chance at makign this AA team...I am in Saskatchewan and I was a top 5 player on the teir 2 team last year. There was only 3 1st year layers on the AA team last year too.

Also Regarding a question, I was last on the ice in march but am signed up to a 3 day 1 hour per session camp right before try outs at the start of september.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad