Post-Game Talk: A little Tuna to rid the taste of Campbell soup. Habs beat the Leaf.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I was clamoring for Byron on Danault's line for like ever and it finally happened.

I think that line with Byron on it can still be very effective.

Tatar - Danault - Byron
Drouin - Suzuki - Gally
Toffoli - KK - Anderson
Lehky - Staal - Perry
Armia

I think Gally with Suzuki will help Suzuki get his groove back.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I was clamoring for Byron on Danault's line for like ever and it finally happened.

I think that line with Byron on it can still be very effective.

Tatar - Danault - Byron
Drouin - Suzuki - Gally
Toffoli - KK - Anderson
Lehky - Staal - Perry
Armia

I think Gally with Suzuki will help Suzuki get his groove back.

The better the forecheck the better Danault can steal pucks and force the play into the opponent's end.

Locks

May 28, 2005
A convincing win against a top team. But I don't understand the rational for dressing Ouellet after a solid first game by Leskinen. Probably after a horrible game against the Jets the coach needed to make a change and the guy playing his first game of the season was an easy pick, he can't take out Staal just yet. Ouellet played just over 12 minutes and clearly looked overmatched.

I understand Staal will get every opportunity to find his game, if he has any left, but at some point if nothing changes they will have to consider bringing Poehling for that 4C role.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Two Habs lines dominated, two were invisible at best. Kulak Weber is not a playoff s team pairing. Let us hope either one of the acquisitions can step up.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I think at this point they just need to go with Romanov-Weber for the 2nd pair and have Chiarot-Merrill as the 3rd pairing

I personally would be ok with that, I woukd be interested in trying Gustafsson with Weber, puck moving guy, defensive liability but goal would be to have puck control when he is on the ice. You play Petry Edmunson 25 mins a night, 20 minutes Romanov - X , 15 minutes Weber-Gustafsson (or vice versa depending on who is having a good game)

Reactions: tazsub3

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
A convincing win against a top team. But I don't understand the rational for dressing Ouellet after a solid first game by Leskinen. Probably after a horrible game against the Jets the coach needed to make a change and the guy playing his first game of the season was an easy pick, he can't take out Staal just yet. Ouellet played just over 12 minutes and clearly looked overmatched.

I understand Staal will get every opportunity to find his game, if he has any left, but at some point if nothing changes they will have to consider bringing Poehling for that 4C role.
It is clear and obvious that Staal is a mere shell of the player he once was. Opposing teams must lick their chops when they see him on the ice. I just close my eyes and hope his shift ends without a goal against. Paying a third and fifth draft choice was almost as bad as when the leafs foolishly gave us a second round draft choice for a fading Plekanec. Pure incompetence in both cases.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
Danault warrants Selke consideration this year.

Interresting stats in La Presse this morning (sorry, in french):

"Même si le Tricolore n’a disputé « que » six duels contre les Maple Leafs cette saison, aucun attaquant n’a été opposé à Phillip Danault plus longtemps qu’Auston Matthews à cinq contre cinq. Comme on le sait, Matthews s’éclate contre le CH : le voilà à 10 points en 6 joutes en 2021. Pourtant, le score est égal à 2-2 avec Danault en ce qui a trait aux buts marqués par chaque équipe (toujours à cinq contre cinq) lorsque les deux rivaux sont sur la patinoire en même temps. Et lundi soir, pour la cinquième fois en six affrontements, Danault a eu l’avantage sur le plan de la possession de rondelle".

In sum, Danault's line totally neutralized Matthews line this season.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Suzuki/Toffoli need some speed on that wing Armia is not a good fit IMO.
Evans is really underrated. Montreal is quite a slow team and I’m not just referencing it’s defence. Staal, Perry, Toffoli and Armia are all mediocre skaters. Evans adds a needed element of speed that allows him to forecheck effectively and play defence responsibly. Removing him and all the nonsense of waiving Byron will make our already pedestrian skating team even slower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad